Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, August 24th 2013  (Read 4087 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser River, August 24th 2013
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Went to Garry Point Park on Saturday to check out the action.

Very limited locations to fish there and the one good spot was taken so I just watched most of the time.

Saw a fair number of fish jumping (5 in 15 minutes) near the end of the outgoing tide (2:30pm) when I got there.
Once the tide changed (incoming tide) - saw nothing but had better fishing conditions.
The tide is ripping so bad on the outgoing, it is very hard to fish (casting between pilings).

Had an hour to kill heading to Surrey so I checked out the Fraser further up river.
Saw a few fish including some "crazy" pinks - 3 or 4 big jumps in a row - always entertaining.

Water is pretty dirty even near the mouth.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Tidal Fraser River, August 24th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »

I just got back from the New Westminster Quay, the water across the river, Surrey side is boiling with fish.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

I just got back from the New Westminster Quay, the water across the river, Surrey side is boiling with fish.

probably all pikeminnow, i'll have to go try my luck
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »

I live in delta and work on the Vancouver side and have checked the river out the last two days at both locations. Delta side had lots, the Vancouver side not so much. It's quite weird actually, maybe they prefer that side of the river?
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »

Hope they open up for pinks soon. Haven't the sockeye gone up the river yet?  ;D

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »

I would expect they will announce on Friday the river will be open starting Sat., it is a long weekend and all, timing should work well for everyone. That being said...

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »

Still a lot of sockeye being caught in the Cottonwood sets. Much later than previous years so maybe they won't open it this weekend...

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and guess that since they've had trouble with the poaching going on that DFO won't open it until the 7th, just to give the remaining sockeye that are still on their way a chance at getting up, instead of having a stampede of anglers fishing the river on the long weekend and rock/sand bathing anything that's on the end of their line.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »

Hmm, not so sure they would keep it closed that long...my monies on this Sat. at 12:01 am ;)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »

Should start a pool for guesses on when it will open. I'd guess Sept 5th at 11:59 pm.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »

Bently's observation is more likely the case. Currently the sockeye return is below escapement level so no TAC (total allowable catches) are available and the department is looking at zero impact on the run. The only way they can achieve this is to close down all activities that may have an impact. Thompson River is also closed for salmon fishing as its sockeye salmon run is expected to be below escapement level. That run is typically a bit later than the summer run, so if they are still moving through the Fraser River in September, expect it to be closed.

With that said, I will be briefed tomorrow and will provide an update when that becomes available. I know  you all want to plan your long weekend trips so perhaps some ideas on openings and closures may help.

BTW, with the exception of a few pink salmon finning during the incoming tide, the school is not really here yet to yield some successful fishing. Current water clarity is also not really helping. You'd be better of focusing on other fisheries that are currently open.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »

Any updates from today? or is the next update coming Friday? Anyone?, guess it's status quo...

wonder

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »

steely ; ive always noticed i do better on the south bank than the north, i live in maple ridge and do far better when i cross to langley maybe just coincidence

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

next meeting is on thurs !

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

I'm not sure why that's the case but for some reason they definitely prefer the south bank. When they are in thick it doesn't matter too much as the whole river has them but at this time of year it seems most are on the delta, surrey, Langley side. Berry's has it on there website as its opening Friday in the lower so we'll see. Wait for the official announcement.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:37:06 AM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'