Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, August 24th 2013  (Read 4086 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, August 24th 2013
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »

The fall run sockeye haven't even entered the river yet.....Weaver Cr. for example, so they have no way of knowing how strong these runs are and until they do you can expect the river to be closed for awhile yet.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Fraser remains closed until mid Sept.  AND those fish that are showing up too early and have been in the fresh water too long so a large number of them are dying prespawn due to the parasites they get as soon as they enter the river (fresh water).

FishingKing

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »

I'm sure they will open the lower Fraser soon but not the upper.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »

I'm sure they will open the lower Fraser soon but not the upper.

It's possible but once again, I wouldn't count on it until the late run sockeye get through.  Those fall run fish don't spawn until October so if they are worried at all about the Cultus L. and Weaver Cr. numbers it might not happen....then there's the Lower Adams, Seaton, and Little Suswap River runs, all october spawning fish, that still need to get through in decent number that ACTUALLY make it to the spawning stage.

The problem is a lot of these fish from these systems, for some reason still unknown to a great extent, are coming into the river FAR TOO SOON and die before they even get to spawn.  The warm water certainly doesn't help either.  They used to stage at the mouth of the Fraser before making their final run up the river.  They're dying because they are in fresh water TOO LONG waiting to spawn....if they get that far!  They can only live so long once the parasite that all sockeye get called parvicapsula as soon as they enter fresh water,  It gets into their kidney and to some extent into their gills and kills them prespawn.

If the fish came in at the proper time the parasite problem wouldn't be an issue.  DFO is trying to protect those fish that are coming in as we speak which is closer to the correct time for entering the Fraser.

LP89CG

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »

16 million pinks and they wont allow fishing.

let me toss my spinners and spoons man.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »

you get your wish to toss your spoons and spinners right now, LOL. DFO finally wakes up and be reasonable.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »

South side of river has always been better for me. I live on the north ;D
When its thick it doesn't matter but when your hunting for them its always south for me.
But I have a boat so not an issue.
Good luck out there and hope for some vis soon as that is the kicker.
Rando
The Fishin Musician