Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 14th 2013  (Read 1985 times)

Dr. Backlash

Tidal Fraser River, September 14th 2013
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

After being skunked for my last 5 outings from shore, I decided to take the boat out today to try something different.  Managed to get 2 Pinks (1 small doe and my largest buck of the season) both on the same homemade pink spinner just after high tide within about 15 minutes of each other.  Barely picking up any fish on the fish finder - the schools that I saw move through were very small compared to 2 weekends ago (the last time I took the boat out).  We didn't see many fish showing themselves at all today.  Maybe they're all staging at the mouth waiting for the rain.  Compared to 2011 and 2009, I'm seeing and catching much less fish by far this year - hopefully the big push will come with a little rain.  Sorry no pics this time (just too tired today).  What a great day to be out on the water though!!  Hopefully others had a decent day as well

andrew5

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 14th 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

Thanks for the post. Interesting  to hear the fish finder feedback. I think it's getti g a little late to say that the bulk of them are just staging is t it? I could be wrong, do t have enough seasons for reference. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

Thanks for the post. Interesting  to hear the fish finder feedback. I think it's getti g a little late to say that the bulk of them are just staging is t it? I could be wrong, do t have enough seasons for reference. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I think the bulk of the run is in the river right now. Its been a strange start to the salmon season. Water temps must have something to do with the lack of pinks rising. Its possible that they are seeking cooler water which would be further away from shore and lower in the water column.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

ja

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

I think the bulk of the run is in the river right now. Its been a strange start to the salmon season. Water temps must have something to do with the lack of pinks rising. Its possible that they are seeking cooler water which would be further away from shore and lower in the water column.

I agree with this.  Many less rising than previous seasons.  DFO says test fisheries shows lots moving through, so the numbers are there.  I suspect they are in a bit deeper water, perhaps because of the temp.  That would explain the fishing.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

X2