Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting observation while fishing yesterday  (Read 7045 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Interesting observation while fishing yesterday
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »

I was out on a nice little stretch of the Vedder, just below Lickman Rd yesterday. While we were fishing I observed the following:

Fly fisherman - cast out and then as it was drifting down he stripped in quite quickly.  Unsurprisingly, he was into pinks quite regularly. I couldn't see very well, but I'd be willing to bet that many weren't quite in the mouth :(

Float fisherman - cast, drift.... reef at end of drift... Unsurprisingly he was into pinks quite regularly, in the side and on the belly.

Bottom bouncer with 3-4 ft leader - regularly into pinks... mostly belly and tail.

Sad.  Just sad.

I would say that only 30% of people that came and went as we fished actually fished with a method that enticed the fish to BITE.  Urgh.

koifish

Re: Interesting observation while fishing yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »

Where is lick man road?
Is it by the train brigde ? Not exactly at the bridge but where you drive down ? Thanks

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »

Where is lick man road?
Is it by the train brigde ? Not exactly at the bridge but where you drive down ? Thanks

http://bit.ly/15cxbRp

koifish

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »

Still can't find it

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »

I was out on a nice little stretch of the Vedder, just below Lickman Rd yesterday. While we were fishing I observed the following:

Fly fisherman - cast out and then as it was drifting down he stripped in quite quickly.  Unsurprisingly, he was into pinks quite regularly. I couldn't see very well, but I'd be willing to bet that many weren't quite in the mouth :(

Float fisherman - cast, drift.... reef at end of drift... Unsurprisingly he was into pinks quite regularly, in the side and on the belly.

Bottom bouncer with 3-4 ft leader - regularly into pinks... mostly belly and tail.

Sad.  Just sad.

I would say that only 30% of people that came and went as we fished actually fished with a method that enticed the fish to BITE.  Urgh.
Not surprising. Feather and fur flingers can floss with the best of them...I will now don my metal jacket. :o

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »

Nothing wrong with stripping the fly in quickly. Pinks do like to chase. However, look at where the person is casting, and what they are casting. If they are using heavy sink tips, casting across or up stream then it is suspect. I cast down stream and strip in almost parallel to the shore when targeting pinks. It worked very well for me on the squamish this year. Out of over 30 fish landed, only 3 were snagged ( inevitable you will snag at some point with that many fish in the river).

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »

You mean he just held on to the float at the end of the drift?  I saw lots of people doing that too on other parts of the Vedder but I wasn't sure if that's proper technique.  Does it matter if the water is slack versus moving?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:45:00 AM by fic »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »

Nothing wrong with stripping the fly in quickly. Pinks do like to chase. However, look at where the person is casting, and what they are casting. If they are using heavy sink tips, casting across or up stream then it is suspect. I cast down stream and strip in almost parallel to the shore when targeting pinks. It worked very well for me on the squamish this year. Out of over 30 fish landed, only 3 were snagged ( inevitable you will snag at some point with that many fish in the river).
upstream, stripping all the way through the drift - fast.  2-3 foot strips, with at least sinking line...  I can see and understand your way.. his way...  Not so much. :(

You mean he just held on to the float at the end of the drift?  I saw lots of people doing that too on other parts of the Vedder but I wasn't sure if that's proper technique.  Does it matter if the water is slack versus moving?

No, but he would hold it a bit a the end and then rip up the rod.  causing the hook to rib up into a fish, just because it was NEAR the hook.  At the end of the drift, simply reel in your line and start again... VERY, VERY rarely will a fish see a piece of wool (simulated egg) suspended in a running current and say "Hey - that looks like food... It makes perfect sense for it to be not moving in a river..."  ::)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

Does it matter if the water is slack versus moving?
You can't really DRIFT slack water.... no drift.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »

No, but he would hold it a bit a the end and then rip up the rod.  causing the hook to rib up into a fish, just because it was NEAR the hook.  At the end of the drift, simply reel in your line and start again... VERY, VERY rarely will a fish see a piece of wool (simulated egg) suspended in a running current and say "Hey - that looks like food... It makes perfect sense for it to be not moving in a river..."  ::)
Ahh, I see people holding on a bit at the end of the drift in slow moving water.  I didn't see them try to rip it at the end of every drift.  Still lots of people were hooking the sides of the fish though.

koifish

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »

I strip my line quickly I'm not trying to snag a fish I just want to re cast lol I like casting flies

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »

Sad.  Just sad.

Sounds like my morning last week :(

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

Don't despair.

Soon the pinks will die off and be gone...and with them MOST of the beekos that line our river banks when the catching is easy.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »

Ahh, I see people holding on a bit at the end of the drift in slow moving water.  I didn't see them try to rip it at the end of every drift.  Still lots of people were hooking the sides of the fish though.
That happens if their leader is too long and/or float/weight is too long... when your main line tightens up, the rest of your gear swings across the river, raking across any resting fish.  A reef when you feel the bump will likely hook a fish in side.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »

Don't despair.

Soon the pinks will die off and be gone...and with them MOST of the beekos that line our river banks when the catching is easy.
Sadly, I probably won't get to get out much when the REAL fishing starts... hence my trip out to hammer on a few innocent pinks.