Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hooks on a lure - tidal fraser  (Read 5053 times)

Suther

hooks on a lure - tidal fraser
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:44:08 PM »

So I have a crankbait, and it has two treble hooks on it. Now, I know I can't use trebles, but I am allowed to replace those both with single barbless hooks and fish away, right? This would be a classic example of the part where the regs say you can fish two hooks on one line right?

My other question is about ones you see with more than two hooks. I know I've seen ones with 3, even 4 trebles on them. Would you only be allowed to keep two hooks on one of these? Or am I missing something?

edit - to tie this in with my question about hooks, what style of hook should I be replacing the treble hooks with?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:11:38 AM by Suther »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: hooks on a lure - tidal fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »

Instead of replacing the hooks, you might want to just cut the two hooks from the treble.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:04 AM »

Thought about that, but it would leave me with some pretty damn small hooks - like, size 8 or 10 kinda thing, seems a bit too small?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:00:27 AM »

Hey

In all streams and when fishing for salmon/steelhead, single barbless hooks are required.

Cut off the treble, and replace with a siwash hook. Use your discretion when selecting the right size.

Suther

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »

Hey

In all streams and when fishing for salmon/steelhead, single barbless hooks are required.

Cut off the treble, and replace with a siwash hook. Use your discretion when selecting the right size.

I know single barbless hook. I was looking for clarification on the rule about two hooks on a line. It doesn't specifically say anything about multiple hooks on a single lure at all. It says 2 hooks, or lures, or flies, attached to a line. I am trying to figure out how exactly this applies to something like a crankbait.

The one in question came with 2 trebles. I believe I can replace both of these with single barbless hooks and use it no problem. I am trying to get a yes/no answer to this.

I am also curious as to how things work with ones with 3 or 4 trebles. Can you only run two hooks on them in the tidal Fraser? (In other salt water areas, as long as its only designed to catch 1 fish at a time you can have as many hooks as you want is my understanding...)

Also, any comments on how this all pans out for freshwater fishing would be nice too. (I dont have a freshwater license yet, so havn't read up on the regs at all, but plan to get one soon.)

edit - Also, I happen to have a few octopus hooks that I think are the right size (1/0). Can anyone explain why I would/would not want to use octopus hooks over siwash?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:16:06 AM by Suther »

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »

Just replace the treble hooks with single barbless ones.  A lot of people like the siwash hooks for use with lures because they've got a longer shank - some say this may be more suitable for use with lures instead of the Octopus hooks.  Also, most Siwash hooks have an open eye, so its easier to replace the hooks when needed.  Whatever hook you use, make sure its offset (where the point of hook isn't perfectly in line with the shank).  I only use the Gamakatsu Octopus style on all my lures because I can get a really cheap deal on these hooks and they work fine for me - just get a good set of split ring pliers to replace the hooks.  Coho opens next weekend - can't wait!!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »

I know single barbless hook. I was looking for clarification on the rule about two hooks on a line. It doesn't specifically say anything about multiple hooks on a single lure at all. It says 2 hooks, or lures, or flies, attached to a line. I am trying to figure out how exactly this applies to something like a crankbait.

Actually it says
It is illegal to angle with a fishing line to which more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly is attached except:
in the tidal portion of the Fraser River where you can use two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a bar rig

The one in question came with 2 trebles. I believe I can replace both of these with single barbless hooks and use it no problem. I am trying to get a yes/no answer to this.

Based on the above, my interpretation is that it is not permissible.

from http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2013-eng.pdf

Suther

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

Actually it says
It is illegal to angle with a fishing line to which more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly is attached except:
in the tidal portion of the Fraser River where you can use two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a bar rig

Based on the above, my interpretation is that it is not permissible.

from http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2013-eng.pdf

Yeah, I have read that, and I have also read this page...

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/salmon-saumon-eng.html

Which says "A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line. Bar rigs with single barbless hooks are acceptable."

So I was looking for some clarification on the matter. Can I really only use ONE hook on a lure, even if it came with more?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »

Only one single barbless hook on the lure. The reg is designed to allow anglers having the possibility of catching two fish on one line, not one fish on two hooks.

But for the exact answer, you are advised to phone Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/locations-bureaux-eng.html

Suther

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »

Okay, then does anyone have an opinion as to which hook I should use? One is right at the tail of the lure, one is about mid-way up it. Im thinking the one on the back of the lure, because thats where the hook is on spinners and spoons ect, but would like to hear someone elses opinion on it.

Also, this means I have to remove those damn hooks I spent a long time getting onto those tiny split rings. Damn it...

Fillibert

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=93578

scroll down for a single hook kwikfish pic

Suther

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=93578

scroll down for a single hook kwikfish pic

Now thats an interesting way to do it. Wire from the middle to a long hook, then tie the hook back with light mono...
Think I might have to try that sometime. Need some short wire first though...