Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 11542 times)

jacklam999

capilano river
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:57:32 PM »

I have tried fishing in the summer in capilano with no success, while i see some fishing report that people are having good result recently. I have mainly fish in lake and lower mainland fraser river,so i have dont have any experience on the freshwater river. I have done some research that people say wool and fly fishing had yeild great sucess. Just want to hear from you guys what method of fishing you like the most there with great chance of getting bite? spoon? spinner? or fly.

Thank you very much

Shawn6o4

Re: capilano river
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »

Why not try all 3 and see for yourself, don't beat yourself up because your not catching fish. Put in a litte more time and try multiple styles in one outing and your should eventually find your answer and a fish hopefully.

wonder

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »

The cap is a pretty tricky system. If your lower tide affects it a lot. I find it really to be a 'first light' fishery. Small spoon or spinner under a float is usually pretty good.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »

I find fishing spoons at first light in an uncrowded spot is the most effective for me.  I have hooked fish later in the day but not as easily as first light.  I never had much luck with roe or roe sacs or wool on that system  but I've seen other people doing well with those.  Those fish can be very spooky and just won't bite at all when the sun is bright and the water is clear.

fishbandit66

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »

Fish will get easier to catch once the bait ban lifts

Kever

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »

I had a big spring on tonight but it snapped my line... Just like the 2 before it. I was using that fake rubber roe at dusk, it only took 4 casts to get the depth right and bang. It flashed its side just before it struck, it was an impressive fish. Greatest feeling ever when it's on, worst feeling when it's gone. Time to get rid of the 12 lb mono. I'm thinking something really strong like fire line for the main line and maybe 20lb mono for the leader. Chum season is almost here too so I'm going to need the strength. Maybe I'll get lucky again next week and get another one on, who knows.

brownmancheng

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »

I had a big spring on tonight but it snapped my line... Just like the 2 before it. I was using that fake rubber roe at dusk, it only took 4 casts to get the depth right and bang. It flashed its side just before it struck, it was an impressive fish. Greatest feeling ever when it's on, worst feeling when it's gone. Time to get rid of the 12 lb mono. I'm thinking something really strong like fire line for the main line and maybe 20lb mono for the leader. Chum season is almost here too so I'm going to need the strength. Maybe I'll get lucky again next week and get another one on, who knows.

12lb too small for springs on the cap especially out in the fast water

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »

20 pound leader? I use max of 12 in the summer for red springs, 6-8 usually for coho and 10 when I'm hooking a lot of springs in the fall.  Ill go to 15 if I'm jig fishing for chum because they are not leader shy and I do not want to lose my jigs. Ive landed 15 pound chinooks on 6-8 pound test, no need to go over 12.  A little bit of side pressure and get the fish off balance and you are fine. All just comes with time on the water. On the cap I almost always fish 6 if the water is low and 8 when its above a 4.

Kever

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try again with 15 lb leader. The thing with these springs is they hit and run hard, fast and long, I've actually never landed one. Tough to put the side pressure on when the fish is 100ft away after 5 seconds. So frustrating!

salmonlover

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try again with 15 lb leader. The thing with these springs is they hit and run hard, fast and long, I've actually never landed one. Tough to put the side pressure on when the fish is 100ft away after 5 seconds. So frustrating!

yeah i use 15lb fluorocarbon for the cap this time of year. maybe set your drag a little tighter it shouldn't get that far so quick. also worth noting these chinooks can get very big as they are harrison white springs. you never know if you are going to get a 10lb chinook or 30lb which is why i dont fish light leader you just never know.

jacklam999

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »

that must be a fun fight, which pool u fished at?

Kever

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

that must be a fun fight, which pool u fished at?

Yep all 10 seconds of it. One of the ones near hwy 1 bridge.

jacklam999

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »

i was always thinking going there as well, but i cant find any place that is near to park my car, u know any location that can park near there?

Kever

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »

i was always thinking going there as well, but i cant find any place that is near to park my car, u know any location that can park near there?

West side you can park under the bridge east side you can park in the tennis club gravel lot off capilano rd.

jacklam999

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »

thank you, i was thinking of parking at the tennis club, but i though its private and need permittion to park there. By the way, have you fish at richmond bc for coho? I tried its hard to find a good spot to fish for coho in richmond bc, not like pinks, they arent all over the place, and i havetried triangle road with no success because of the strong current