Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Clarus CP rod  (Read 8754 times)

Hoop71

Shimano Clarus CP rod
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »

Is the Clarus a good starters CP rod? It is rated 6-10lb, 11'3"
Is this adequate for lower mainland rivers for salmon/steelhead?

Model info: Shimano Clarus http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/rods/salmon_steelhead/Clarus_Center_Pin.htm#

zap brannigan

Re: Shimano Clarus CP rod
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:36 AM »

Great coho, pink and steel rod, I got the 13 foot I've caught big fish on it but it is a lighter rod and not really the best for a starter rod, I use my shimano convergence for bigger fish and faster water, I do love my Clarus though.
I'd recommend the convergence, got mine for around 75 and its a great stick.

corgi

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »

Which convergence model are you referring to?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »

I wouldn't buy a Clarus, ever again. They aren't worth anything as far as I'm concerned - the 13ft model any ways.
Bought one last steel season just because I needed a cheap pin rod badly.

-First one lasted me 5 months and broke on a hit from a steelhead.
-Second one broke first trip pulling my hook out of the hook holder at the start of the day.
-Third one broke on my 3rd cast of the day.
-Fourth one broke just as I was about to land a steelhead. The fourth one is now sitting in my basement, I refuse to warranty it again.

None of those rods had any damage, all were replaced without question as the Wholesale guy said it looked like manufacturing error/flaw. They all broke across in a straight line in different parts of the rod (always in the top 2 sections though). Considering 2 of them broke the first trip out, when they hadn't even been touched before (the 2nd rod broke on the first load I put on it), maybe I was just into a bad batch...

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »

Must of been a crap batch mines been great, full season of steel, few hundreds pinks, lots of coho and more than a few summer reds and sockeye.

The convergence I'm using is the mooching rod, rated 10-20 slow action, great rod for cheap, got mine at army and navy for 75.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:26:43 PM by zap brannigan »

sumasriver

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »

My clarus has landed over 50 pinks and probably 30-40 coho as well.

LOVE IT.

corgi

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

Must of been a crap batch mines been great, full season of steel, few hundreds pinks, lots of coho and more than a few summer reds and sockeye.

The convergence I'm using is the mooching rod, rated 10-20 slow action, great rod for cheap, got mine at army and navy for 75.

Is that a medium rod, or medium heavy?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »

Interesting comments from Every Day. Any other comments ? I'm thinking of getting one. Perhaps I need to reassess my decision.

sumasriver

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »

Maybe Every day is a sale rep for fenwick.

My clarus medium is my favourite rod for coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »

Everyday is specifically talking about the 11'3" pin rod, which is too soft as a starter rod, as zap brannigan pointed out. The convergence is a better starter rod and also a great backup rod when you upgrade to something nicer later on.

Personally I love the Clarus rods I have been using... The 9' 8 to 12lb baitcasting rod is great for both float fishing and casting spoons. The 9' 6 to 10lb spinning rod has been awesome for coho salmon in the Fraser River. For faster flowing streams, the 8'6" 8 to 12lb spinning rod is more suitable. I really like how sensitive the tip of these rods is.

Drewhill

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

I have the 11' rod and it sucks. Too soft in the tip and too stiff on the bottom. I also snapped my first one and got another without hassle but it hasn't been used since.

zap brannigan

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »

Is that a medium rod, or medium heavy?

mine is the medium.

the 11'3 clarus has a faster taper with the same action as the 13', by the sounds of it it just doesnt work out well, my 13' has been great I did break it high sticking a spring on the mam but that was 100% my fault warranty service was great got a replacement pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:37:35 PM by zap brannigan »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:28 PM »

Maybe Every day is a sale rep for fenwick.

Definitely not, I don't even own one. I use to love Shimano, but won't buy their rods any more. IMO they have gone down hill significantly in the last 3 years.

Everyday is specifically talking about the 11'3" pin rod, which is too soft as a starter rod, as zap brannigan pointed out.

I was talking about the 13 ft rod. No experience with the other ones. Heard lots of good stuff about the shorter ones. Maybe it's just the super long one that has issues.

I have the 11' rod and it sucks. Too soft in the tip and too stiff on the bottom. I also snapped my first one and got another without hassle but it hasn't been used since.

Yep, I find that too. Very soft top, stiff bottom. And the warranty is great, but not worth it if you have to replace it 4 times...

FishMachine

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »

Does anyone know which fishing store have the 11'3 clarus for sale in the lower mainland? I can't seemed to find any stores that carry then in Vancouver Island. The back order is taking over a month but still no news on when.

Thanks,

FM.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »

first light in burnaby has one.

edit; should of read that better before posting just read vancouver not VI.