Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave chum  (Read 7329 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Stave chum
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

Just got word the chum are finally in in good numbers and decent shape.
Can anyone confirm this?

zap brannigan

Re: Stave chum
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

I'll find out for myself as I was on the way out there today.

lapa

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

Can anyone confirm this?
I was fishing Wednesday on my way home from Vedder for one hour ( west side).  Didn't land or see any in good shape.
Maybe because it was low tide time. Tried blades,jigs and spinners under float.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

It seems like they are a bit later this year compared to last.  On Thanksgiving day, there appeared to be more people than chums.

bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

I have the same observation fishing the West side...chum showing but were not interested in my fly presenations and when I switched to floating jigs they still were not very intersted and the ones that did were already well past prime sporting full battle gear...coloured up and baring teeth.

BN

Outdoorsman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

I was there thanksgiving Monday from first light to 1030 and landed 5 chum. People all arojnd me getting them too. Good numbers of them, some in better shape than others. Lots surfacing when I was there. Watch out for the beaks tho, that's why I left at 1030 when they all showed up criss crossing lines and just making it not enjoyable anymore.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »

I fished the Stave Sun/Mon (with a boat) and the fishing was typically spectacular, although there was definitely fewer chum being caught from shore than last year at this time. In fact we didn't see one fish landed by others over the day and a half even though tere was always 50+ people in view. .
3 of us had 60+ hookups on Monday, most on dead drifted marabou jigs in pink/purple. These fish were fresh (many had lice) and very, very angry.
We hooked 2 coho, one a wild around 6 lbs and the other was a monster that I lost at my feet when it performed an unexpected spinning, twisting leap.

brandooner

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »

Went there yesterday for an hour or so, caught 6 and missed quite a few. My buddy got into about 7 or 8 , all in decent shape. One still had some decent shine to it.
The Fishin' Musician!

CastCatch

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »

Was there this morning for a couple of hours. No fresh fish seen caught.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »

it picked up midweek but I would not call it great, chumwise.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »

I was there today from 9-2. I caught a small coho in the toilet bowl but although I played and landed several chums in the main flow none were anywhere near fresh.
I have been there 3 times in the last week and I would agree with those who say the chum are either late this year or maybe they are not coming at all. It's not that many
years ago that the chum did not show and the Stave was closed. Was that 4 years ago ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

bunnta

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »

you mean closed to retention. still had decent amount of fish, people still killed chum that year. So yeah it was about 4 years ago. All i can say if u want fresh fish, take a walk down. You'll be amazed how far it takes to get better looking fish.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

Can anyone confirm this?

Just thought I would remind you that you will see people fishing the stave with techniques far worse than what you saw on the vedder and this river is alot shorter as well so you can not ask for a catch and release section.  ;)

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ninez

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »

Just thought I would remind you that you will see people fishing the stave with techniques far worse than what you saw on the vedder and this river is alot shorter as well so you can not ask for a catch and release section.  ;)

How is it far worse than Vedder?
I asked one guy who was ripping/snagging with long leader at Stave where he learned how to fish like that.
He simply said "Everyone fish like this at the Vedder"

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »

I carry extra floats, extra split shot and I tie a few extra jigs. If I talk to people who may need help with a little fishing education I often give the extras I carry so they can experience a different way of fishing other than bottom bouncing.
I have met some very grateful people on the river and hopefully converted a few.