Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage at the Vedder  (Read 5918 times)

fishtruck

Garbage at the Vedder
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »

Took a friend out to the Vedder who hasn't fish for a long time. Is it just me or has anybody else notice the amount of garbage left beside the river has really skyrocketed. I filled up a plastic shopping bag with beer bottles, old line, wrappers of all sorts in an area that was less than 5 feet across.

mikeH

Re: Garbage at the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

It sucks I live in Chilliwack the river garbage is terrible I pick up what I can.I had a chat with a CO last week was surprised when he looked at my license that I'm from here, says most are from Surrey that he inspects, not saying Surrey guys are the prob.I think the CO's need to start hammering guys about garbage and not just looking at hooks.When I talked to guys on the river I ask where there from I'm just curious.I watch to see if anybody is littering all I can say don't do it around me! I'm not a small guy!! pick up your sh8t!. Respect the water and my home. 

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »

It sucks I live in Chilliwack the river garbage is terrible I pick up what I can.I had a chat with a CO last week was surprised when he looked at my license that I'm from here, says most are from Surrey that he inspects, not saying Surrey guys are the prob.I think the CO's need to start hammering guys about garbage and not just looking at hooks.When I talked to guys on the river I ask where there from I'm just curious.I watch to see if anybody is littering all I can say don't do it around me! I'm not a small guy!! pick up your sh8t!. Respect the water and my home.

Yes littering should not happen but neither should assault.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

mikeH

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »

My intentions are not assault far from that,respect all around.

Carich980

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

Took a friend out to the Vedder who hasn't fish for a long time. Is it just me or has anybody else notice the amount of garbage left beside the river has really skyrocketed. I filled up a plastic shopping bag with beer bottles, old line, wrappers of all sorts in an area that was less than 5 feet across.

Go back in a few days and there will be twice as much there. A lot of people cant be bothered to stash waste on their self let alone pick up after others. All you can do is keep doing your part to keep it clean and hope for the best.

I did a clean up a few months ago and the area I spent 3 hours cleaning was like I hadnt done anything at all by the end of that weekend. I honestly believe the majority of Garbage come from weekend campers more then anyone else. Judging from the garbage that Ive picked up. Should be no overnight camping allowed except in designated campgrounds.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »

My intentions are not assault far from that,respect all around.

I watch to see if anybody is littering all I can say don't do it around me! I'm not a small guy!! pick up your sh8t!.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Maybe if peoples parents didn't slack off so much then society wouldn't be such a gabage dump. What really P's me off is the smokers out there, THE WORLD IS NOT YOUR ASHTRAY!!!!!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 12:31:17 AM »

Maybe if peoples parents didn't slack off so much then society wouldn't be such a gabage dump. What really P's me off is the smokers out there, THE WORLD IS NOT YOUR ASHTRAY!!!!!

I was out at 6:30am fishing the canal today and I could'nt believe how many Tim Horton cups I saw, incredible. And they were mostly  right where we park our vehicles. Go's to show that if you can't even leave a throw away coffee cup in your car and you'd rather be a man with little integrity and leave it a foot outside your car you are a sad thing.

And JC I don't think it has anything to do with parents. Most of the people I see fishing are adults that make their own decisions, they just choose to not care. I'm with you on the smoking though. A most disgusting thing I've never encountered than being downwind of a smoker, cough, cough. And that goes triple for the Cool guy's that smoke cigars, like their all That, look at me, I can smoke a cigar. To funny. The only thing I enjoy about both those experiences is knowing that the guy has made a personal choice to Kill himself. 

jimstone

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »

Been fishing the area know as the backside of the limit for 25 years and this once almost pristine area has become a garbage dump in the last 2 years as the number of fisherman willing to hump it down and back up has skyrocketed. Cant bring kids or dogs down to the river because of busted beer bottles, discarded hooks and other gear dumped everywhere.  My Sardis fishing partner regularly packs garbage out (uphill). The Chilliwack Valley is an unbelievably beautiful area but this "I don't give a cupcakes" attitude about garbage is sheer stupidity. What could be simpler than "take home what you bring".

rustybee

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

Funny. I had the same experience too last time I was there. Frickin TH cup was on left on the ground obviously next to a parking spot. How can these idiots be so ignorant?

And don't get me started on the smokers. Fishing Squamish last week and was having a blast before a smoker plunked himself up wind right next to me. Hey buddy... I really don't mind if you kill yourself smoking but have some consideration to everyone else...

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »

And don't get me started on the smokers. Fishing Squamish last week and was having a blast before a smoker plunked himself up wind right next to me. Hey buddy... I really don't mind if you kill yourself smoking but have some consideration to everyone else...

May be he did it purposely. Just want to drive you out of your spot..

brownmancheng

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »

May be he did it purposely. Just want to drive you out of your spot..

Lol just like me not showering for two weeks before my weekly fishing trip. 

mistermongz

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »

hey now.... i am a smoker and we smokers have every right to be on the river too. Everytime im done a smoke i put my smoke out and pocket the butts...it would be nice if all smokers do this but obviously thats not the case. yeah it sucks that people leave garbage and what not on the vedder it has gotten worse and worse very year. but if you do smell that sweet ganja smell you might actually like it hahha... tight lines....
Fish on!!!

ByteMe

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »

hey now.... i am a smoker and we smokers have every right to be on the river too. Everytime im done a smoke i put my smoke out and pocket the butts...it would be nice if all smokers do this but obviously thats not the case. yeah it sucks that people leave garbage and what not on the vedder it has gotten worse and worse very year. but if you do smell that sweet ganja smell you might actually like it hahha... tight lines....
..............the pollution and smog in the valley will kill you faster than any second hand smoke,so I think you all against smoking should find a new river to fish,of course,you will have to hop in your diesel trucks to get there ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:17:03 AM by ByteMe »
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

TheFishingLad

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »

..............the pollution and smog in the valley will kill you faster than any second hand smoke,so I think you all against smoking should find a new river to fish,of course,you will have to hop in your diesel trucks to get there ;D
Not only is that factually wrong but it's also the attitude that made me grow up in a house of smokers. Pretty disgusting having kids around it.

fishtruck

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »

I've seen a number of people comment about people leaving garbage, then proceed to pick up what they can. It's good to see others that care about keeping the river from becoming more of a garbage dump. I always keep a couple of plastic bags with me to keep all my garbage in and to pick up anything else to fill it up. If we all just do a little everytime we're out there, we can make a difference. Every little bit helps