Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perch Fishing  (Read 20648 times)

finally retired

Perch Fishing
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

Hey all, retired Air Force guy here and finally have free time after 21 years. Where can I go to catch some perch? Looking for help in the Langley/Surrey/Abbotsford area.

Thanks all.....

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Perch Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »

White Rock Pier.

Clams and Mussels are good bait.

finally retired

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »

Hmmm...saltwater? Any lakes or sloughs?

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

perch arent native here teir invasive pests so few lakes have them which is good, few interior lakes have them and a few island lakes, kill all you catch.

Tenz85

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »

I just caught what looked like a perch in the north arm. It got off the hook as I reeled in and didn't even know I had it on because it was small. May have been a smolt though.

It was silver / grey with vertical bars and hints of red. I didn't get a great look so I first bought perch because but I believe perch are red yellow green.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »

Are you talking about saltwater perch or fresh water sunfish that are also called "perch". Most docks and piers in Vancouver's harbour have piling perch that hang around in the shade. But, many docks now are closed to fishing. That was my favourite pastime when I was a child and I had the technique down to a fine art. The shiners were easy to catch on shellfish meat, but the piling perch were smarter. I took a clump of mussels and broke the shells a bit to attract fish.  I attached it to a separate string and lowered it into the water were perch were present. Then I put down a separate line with a tiny hook baited with a bit of seaworm and kept it right close to the broken shells. You had to be quick because the perch suck in and blow out bait in an instant.

For fresh water perch (sunfish) go to one of the lower mainland lakes that are supposed to have them. Hatzic slough is supposed to have some. I haven't fished around there in years, so other guys would know better than me.

Tenz85

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

Not sure if you're specifically targeting perch for some reason but perhaps trout would be a better fish to target especially in this area. Mill lake is pretty good for trout and I've hooked a couple bass in the summer. Head up to maple ridge and mission for an abundant number of lanes for trout or checkout some bars along the Fraser to see what you can hook into.  Tight lines!

wjlz

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »

Are you talking about saltwater perch or fresh water sunfish that are also called "perch". Most docks and piers in Vancouver's harbour have piling perch that hang around in the shade. But, many docks now are closed to fishing. That was my favourite pastime when I was a child and I had the technique down to a fine art. The shiners were easy to catch on shellfish meat, but the piling perch were smarter. I took a clump of mussels and broke the shells a bit to attract fish.  I attached it to a separate string and lowered it into the water were perch were present. Then I put down a separate line with a tiny hook baited with a bit of seaworm and kept it right close to the broken shells. You had to be quick because the perch suck in and blow out bait in an instant.

For fresh water perch (sunfish) go to one of the lower mainland lakes that are supposed to have them. Hatzic slough is supposed to have some. I haven't fished around there in years, so other guys would know better than me.

Hi,

About saltwater perch: you fish pile/shiner perch in the summer or year around?
Thanks.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

Hi,

About saltwater perch: you fish pile/shiner perch in the summer or year around?
Thanks.

I don't dock fish anymore, but I'm still interested in nature and memories of fishing as a child. I look into the water at every dock I'm on whether it's winter or summer. When I fished for piling perch as a child it was mostly in the summer. If I lowered my bait to the bottom then I caught bullheads, sole and flounder instead of perch. I once caught a 25 pound halibut off the RVYC dock near Jerico Beach in Vancouver harbour. But that was a long, long time ago. I remember carrying it home drapped over the handlebars of my bicycle.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »

I just caught what looked like a perch in the north arm. It got off the hook as I reeled in and didn't even know I had it on because it was small. May have been a smolt though.

It was silver / grey with vertical bars and hints of red. I didn't get a great look so I first bought perch because but I believe perch are red yellow green.

Shiner perch, which are pretty common in the estuary part of the Fraser River from August to October before it gets too cold. Salinity of the water increases as freshet tapers off, and you will find a variety of benthic and pelagic saltwater species moving into this part of the Fraser. Herring, flounder, greenling and tomcod are other common saltwater species you might encounter right now.

finally retired

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

Zap....yeah, I have read a bunch on the intro of yellow perch into places they should not be in. I personally like catching and eating perch...so I guess you could say I would be helping the cause to help rid the places they are inhabits of.

Ian....I know down south in Louisiana/Texas/Miss...they refer to a lot of fish as perch...but sunfish...I know what they are...bream family...small...lots of types...shell-cracker, pumpkinseed, red ear, bluegill...I've caught all of those. I am asking about yellow perch...like mini walleye...yellowish/green...triangular bars pointing down...spiny rayed dorsal....and the nasty little razor they have right behind the gill plate. Anyhow, I ask because I know they are fairly easy to catch and I am closer to Langley...sloughs would be cool if they were there. Trout...caught lots, but, have never caught a dollie or char. Grayling are awesome...salmon as well. Just looking for a little lazy fishing at the moment so I can acclimate back into a civilian again.

Tenz...open to any ideas other than ice fishing at the moment...have been to Mill Lake and caught a few small largemouths...no trout...about 5 sunfish.

Thanks for all the replies you guys. I really appreciate it. Been a while since I didn't have to worry about deploying and missing the entire season of whatever species!

Suther

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »

You could always try fishing the Fraser for some salmon.

There are plenty of spots to try in the Langley-Abby area. Basically anywhere that has river access is good, but Derby Reach and Glen Valley Park are two popular options.

The Vedder/Chilliwack is not very far away either. There you will run into many other fishermen, who can often be a wealth of knowledge in their own right.

finally retired

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »

Sweet...thanks Suther.... ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »

Welcome to the board c17hydro, and thank you for your service.

Yellow perch aren't looked upon to kindly in these parts as they are an invasive species. I do, however, have very fond memories of fishing for them back in Ontario. Tasty little buggers when panfried.

I have caught perch in Judson Lake in south Abbotsford, however due to private land ownership around the lake, access is pretty restricted.

Moving to BC, I had to transition my fishing from the warm water species I was used to in ON (bass, walleye, pike, carp, catfish, perch, sunfish...) to the cold water species here in BC. You won't regret it. Good luck. (although walleye is still my favourite freshwater fish to eat! :))

finally retired

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

Clarki-Hehehe....understood. I have been stopping by a few places on the Fraser like Poplar Bar.....and another place before it by a sharp curve...watched a fisherman reel in a small fish...think it was a small coho...he released it.

Vedder...nice river...gobbed up with fishermen in the sweet spots that I can tell. I will give the Vedder a shot in a day or two...Fraser also. So any spot that has access to the Fraser then? Small lures good to use?