Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, November 2nd & 3rd 2013  (Read 3169 times)

Suther

Lower Mainland, November 2nd & 3rd 2013
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »

Went to the unnameable river yesterday for a while. First I wanted to explore a bit, as I haven't been around this area with fishing in mind for nearly 20 years.

After exploring, I picked my spot under a bridge with nobody around at all, and started tossing a spinner. Fished for about an hour, first using a bluefox #4 in blue/red, then a Chartreuse croc spoon.

Water was really high, fast, and dirty. Basically no visibility, and a LOT of debris. 80+% of my casts hooked into leaves. Didn't even get a bite.

DID see a pair of otters, one of which swam RIGHT past me, not more than 5 feet away. (Could have smacked him with my rod if I wanted to.) Was really happy to see that.

Today, I spent an hour tossing spoons into Como Lake. Again, no bites, but that didn't surprise me. It was nice and sunny, so bottom fishing with bait was probably the only chance to catch anything. Today was more about hanging out with my kids anyways, my daughter loves to reel in my line. She already has he own rod/reel, but is too small to cast it herself, so she usually just helps me with mine.

Bavarian Raven

Re: Lower Mainland, November 2nd & 3rd 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »

Yes, that river is tricky at times. A little rain and it floods.
I havent fished it recently, but my friend was catching cutthroats in there last week by a certain train bridge on the river. :) Cheers.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »

Cool about the otters.

I saw a pair of otters working the shore of a river a couple of weeks ago. The were on my side of the river, and working their way toward me, so i backed up from the river, crouched down and got my phone out for a picture.  About 30 feet away they paused, and one stretched up to get a better look at me. He was chewing on something, and as we looked at each other, I could very clearly hear him smacking his mouth as chewed. :) Obviously he didn't like the looks of me because they crossed over the river to continue their upstream foraging. However as they got across from me on the far side, they started making a chirping noise; which I presume meant "You can't fool us by crounching down. Go somewhere else!"           

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »

Just a tip about the "unnameable river in coquitlam..."

There is 'x' number of rivers in coquitlam... so it's pretty obvious. Next time you might consider naming it "North side of Fraser River" instead.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

Just a tip about the "unnameable river in coquitlam..."

There is 'x' number of rivers in coquitlam... so it's pretty obvious. Next time you might consider naming it "North side of Fraser River" instead.

Yeah man... secrecy is essential. Shhhhh....
Your best bet is not to post anything at all, but if you must post, I think saying a river in BC is your best bet, as there is 'x' number of rivers on the North side of the Fraser.
You can never be too careful. Lurkers are everywhere. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »

LOL. Milo you are so funny. I am a fan and really enjoy your posts. You can be a stand-up comedian any time you want to change career. It always makes my day after a big laugh reading your posts. Keep it up man.  ;D

Seriously, I live by this 'secret' river with a view of it flowing through a certain 'secret' farm. I stare at it daily but never fished it for salmon though in the 36 years I have lived there. Only for trout with my kids when it was still stocked for trout back in the good old days. If you want fish meat, don't go there. The OP also stated in no uncertain terms that he didn't catch anything. There is no fishing worthy of any 'meat' fishermen there. So go to the Vedder or the Stave for the meat you guys.  ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »

The lovely Otters ate all the trout.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Suther

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

Technically speaking this river is in PoCo anyways lol at least in my area it is. Sometimes I question the motives of people who think it's so horrible to post about this river... everyone wants it for themselves?  If it was that terrible they would close retention on it, or even ban fishing for salmon on it like they did with Scott/hoy creek. Besides,  this report just talked about how the fishing was no good...

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »

Technically speaking this river is in PoCo anyways lol at least in my area it is. Sometimes I question the motives of people who think it's so horrible to post about this river... everyone wants it for themselves?  If it was that terrible they would close retention on it, or even ban fishing for salmon on it like they did with Scott/hoy creek. Besides,  this report just talked about how the fishing was no good...

This ^
Everyone knows about this river, so "thou name that shell not be mentioned" really doesn't make much of a diff. imho.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

Its not about keeping this river secret or keeping it to oursevles,with the urban spraw and the siltation from the upriver gravel pits this river has been consistently on the most endangered rivers list,this river cant handle the snagger mentality that some choose to employ ,this season has been the busieast I have seen this river and most people I talk to dont know the regs,there is no retention of chum ,you are allowed 1 spring but they have long moved through the system and you are allowed 1 hatchery coho per day but the chances of catching one are very very slim,if you fish the river enjoy it but show it and its fish the respect that it deserves,i have fished this river for over forty years and it definatly has seen better days.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »

Seriously, if you you guys are truly interested in keeping river like this off the internet, I recommend ignoring posts like this one that says how bad fishing is.  All if your subsequent post about needing to keep this river a secret probably did more to attract the "snaggers" and "lurkers" than the OP did.  The barbarian hordes are after meat and not going to be interested in a river where fish are scarce and which blows out at the mere prospect of a rainfall.  That more people are fishing it than before is a reflection if true growing popularity of fishing as a past time, and these new fishers just need to be educated on proper etiquette and the regulations. If they were really out to rape a river, they would not chose this one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:18:51 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

Sorry but the majority of guys im seeing on the river are not new fisherman,i personally find the growing fishing presure has uncreased every year since the introduction of the white springs a number of years ago and more people realizing there are coho there they keep cominf back,i am also seeing evidence of poaching on this river.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 06:36:54 AM »

Sorry but the majority of guys im seeing on the river are not new fisherman,i personally find the growing fishing presure has uncreased every year since the introduction of the white springs a number of years ago and more people realizing there are coho there they keep cominf back,i am also seeing evidence of poaching on this river.

And your post is going to attract more poachers to the river than the OP did.

Water was really high, fast, and dirty. Basically no visibility, and a LOT of debris. 80+% of my casts hooked into leaves. Didn't even get a bite.
Not all those who wander are lost