Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where NOT to fish on the Vedder  (Read 14958 times)

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
Re: Where NOT to fish on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

I have trouble calling the vedder an urban river. Kamloops has a higher population than chilliwack, but nobody is calling the Thompson urban. There is totally such a thing as working a run, just not in the crowded spots where there is 40 people shoulder to shoulder.

How many times have you fished the Vedder?

You know you don't have to comment on every fricken thread right? Half of the stuff you post have no substance at all. You're either just repeating what others are saying or posting about nothing that's even close to the truth. stop being a post whore, sick of clicking threads only to see your posts about nthing.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »

How many times have you fished the Vedder?

You know you don't have to comment on every fricken thread right? Half of the stuff you post have no substance at all. You're either just repeating what others are saying or posting about nothing that's even close to the truth. stop being a post whore, sick of clicking threads only to see your posts about nthing.

Just had a look at your previous posts. In 11 out of your 17 most recent posts (that's 65%) you are either ripping into somebody, or being sarcastic. (and it's more of the same on the second and third pages) For fun, I bet I could change a few words in your above quoted post and have it describe you. :)

It must be a burden for you to carry to always be so right. (yes, that was sarcasm. I'm sorry...) Lighten up dude, and take some happy pills. The hostility will kill ya.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »

I have trouble calling the vedder an urban river. Kamloops has a higher population than chilliwack, but nobody is calling the Thompson urban. There is totally such a thing as working a run, just not in the crowded spots where there is 40 people shoulder to shoulder.

You can't compare the Thompson to the Vedder.  Only a small part of the Thompson runs through Kamloops while most of the Fishable part of the Chilliwack Vedder is located within city limits.  Sure, Chilliwack has a lower population but you are forgetting that most of the lower mainland is within less than an hours drive of the river and that to me makes it more of an urban river.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

Make sure if you fish below someone you don't low hole them though. Aggravates the hell out of me. Start at the top of the run working your way down, then a fence post comes along a plunks down right below me.  Don't be a low holer, make sure you either ask or move way down if you see someone working a run from top to bottom. Or start above them and follow.

Great tip for steelhead season.... But unfortunately it's still salmon season

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »

Low holing while fishing for hatchery salmon on an Urban River?  Doesn't exist.  Basically, people come at first light or before, plunk themselves on a spot and proceed to spend a few hours there.  No such thing as "working" a run when it comes to salmon season.  Good luck trying to tell the rest of the anglers downstream from you to wait and let you fish first while you work through the run.  For steelhead, its different.  Some meatholes have fence posters, but for most areas of the river, fishing steelhead is more of a hunt and you need cover as much water as you can.  That is where low-holing becomes an issue.

X2

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

Low holing during steelhead season is extremely annoying and done by everyone I have been low holed by just as many fly guys as I have gear guys. It annoys me more when another fly guy stands there and watches me working my way down only to step in below me !!  >:(

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

I got accused low holing a fellow on the Squamish during steelhead season.  I saw him at the head of a very long run and stayed well clear, starting at least 400 yards below him whereupon he walked down and gave me his opinion.   I understand the annoyance when somebody barges into next to you but you can't own the river just because you got there a few minutes earlier.

Burkie

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »

Why not just fish another system?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

Low holing during steelhead season is extremely annoying and done by everyone I have been low holed by just as many fly guys as I have gear guys. It annoys me more when another fly guy stands there and watches me working my way down only to step in below me !!  >:(
Not when im fishing bait it doesn't!  ;D

fishtruck

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »

I got accused low holing a fellow on the Squamish during steelhead season.  I saw him at the head of a very long run and stayed well clear, starting at least 400 yards below him whereupon he walked down and gave me his opinion.   I understand the annoyance when somebody barges into next to you but you can't own the river just because you got there a few minutes earlier.
Why not just fish another system?
  Shouldn't have to worry about people like that. It's like having people tell you can't or shouldn't walk on the sidewalk in front of their house. You have as much right to that river as they do, especially if you are that far away from them

Outdoorsman

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »

And just like what happened to me today..be prepared for it to happen to you! I was into my 5th cast after finding a nice spot to myself today. 5th cast, float goes down, I set the hook, and bring a wild one in. As I am releasing the fish, I look up to see that, not one, not two, but 4 people had jumped into my spot and already had begun casting out...needless to say I went back over there and told them to please get out, and they moved about 10 feet over.....so unfortunately, if you take the time to find a spot for yourself, and people see you catching fish, be prepared to have them come up and fish right next to you.... I ended up leaving the area to go fish again by myself somewhere else (caught my limit) and on my way out, made sure to walk by them. No fish on shore for them....guess it's not all "the spot" hey and mostly what you're using and how you're doing it.  ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »

No!  Say it isn't so!
Not all those who wander are lost

norton

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »

More people fish the vedder than the Thompson. It is a urban river. It draws from a population of millions ,Vancouver, surrey, Washington. Abbotsford chilliwack , etc. far more than kamloops.

MoeJKU

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

Great tip for steelhead season.... But unfortunately it's still salmon season
yes you are right at most spots of the river. There are a few spots that you can find on the vedder that  still work that way in salmon season.  They are just few and far between. Steelie season it is more important though

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

Not when im fishing bait it doesn't!  ;D

you can fish bait all you want behind me. keep this in mind though - I caught this while working through a run between 5 bait guys !!!

and for the accusing folk, its a hatchery fish that was dispatched immediately after a couple pics which is why its on the rocks
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/