Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, November 9th 2013  (Read 4949 times)

Humpy

Stave River, November 9th 2013
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »

Fishing was good, parking wasn't really an issue, I walked through the marsh to find a spot. Landed about 15-20, kept 3 between two people. Some fresh fish are still moving in, most of the fish were caught on purple/pink jigs. I will probably make one last trip to the stave next week.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River, November 9th 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »

Nice mess o' fish, although a little too coloured for my liking to take home.

I would be very interested to know how you prepared these fish to eat, and how they tasted.

koifish

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

im assuming theres stilllots of fish in stave

fishman254

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »

Unreal numbers of chums (rising every half-second w/in my casting range) in one spot, but those wouldn't bite. Other areas did produce willing biters. Hooked into over 20 chums on jigs below float. Sparkle on the jig seems to help. No coho for me. One guy got a coho float fishing with coho roe.
No fish were "fresh", unfortunately.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »

I was there yesterday as well.  There are still plenty of chums but finding fresher looking ones is tougher than last week.  I hooked into an adult coho but it snapped my 10lb line.  I think there might have been an undetected abrasion on the line as my drag was set properly.  I missed another 4 bites on coho.  I only fished for chums for about an hour, and landed a few and released a few.  Seems like there's a lot of colored coho's compared to silver ones.

One guy landed a coho, rock shampooed it and was taking it home.  A couple of guys beside him harassed him because it was wild coho.  He then released that brain damaged coho back into the water.  :-\e

20 cars were illegally parked as another poster noted earlier, some vandals removed the arrows off the no parking signs.

wonder

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »

really glad i was on a boat yesterday, stave was great around 10-11am-ish, tide was the lowest ive ever seen it at 7am. Got 4 really chrome chum 3 had sea lice still, one i thought was a coho until i got it up close. tons of boots around tho

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:41:08 AM by wonder »

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

Some good looking Doe's there Wonder, nicely done

Humpy

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

Those are some fish wonder, It definitely helps to be on a boat, which boat launch did you use? The way we cook these fish, I couldn't tell the difference between a coho and a chum last year, its all personal preference, we cooked one like the ones in the picture and it tasted great. 

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »

Fishing the Stave is simple and it's all about timing with the tides. I hate when people say this river is only full of boots. It may have a lot but if you time it right you'll catch fresh fish. Stopped to the Stave for an hour of fishing in the afternoon after hitting a different river. Checked the tides the night before and it was nothing but jigs for fresh chum almost every other cast. Even managed a coho. No need to bonk dirty spawners, intercept the fresh fish and you'll have a lot more fun. 85 percent of the chums we caught were bonkable

Humpy

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »

Good to know, where can we check these tides? Maybe its just the location, I assume if you fish somewhere with little to no flow that's where the dirty chum will be and the flowing water is where the fresher fish stay?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

Good to know, where can we check these tides? Maybe its just the location, I assume if you fish somewhere with little to no flow that's where the dirty chum will be and the flowing water is where the fresher fish stay?

The boots are in faster water sitting on there redds. I found chrome chum in coho water.

Humpy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »

Ok, I fished faster water and didn't even try casting in the slow water. I will try throwing a jig in the slower water next time. Thanks

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »

In slow water load the jig with deli shrimp.

Humpy

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »

I don't have many jigs left, would a wool combination with cured shrimp work, or do you mean the shrimp bought from the store and used as is without curing.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »

Blades, wool, prawns, jigs, roe, catching chums is simple. I assume the dam was letting very little water out and there was very very little flow in the main river. For the last 3 trips, we have been casting across river to this shoal and 90 percent of fish were hitting in the same 10-15 foot section of water right were it drops off (water is also a little slower). Yesterday with the little flow, I was actually jigging and retrieving sometimes. I found the stale fish were on the slower edges infront of you and the fresher fish were travelling in the slower edge on the other side along that shoal.
http://www.tides4fishing.com/ca/british-columbia/new-westminster