Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Valley, November 12th & 13th 2013  (Read 2098 times)

dave c

Fraser Valley, November 12th & 13th 2013
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »

Spent Tuesday morning at the crossing caught a couple colored wilds, then headed to a river closer to home.  Water was low and gin clear. Could see many fish (mostly colored) moving through but no hookups for anyone.  Headed back Wednesday and with the overnight rain, water was tea colored and noticeably higher.  Chucked roe for about an hour with no touches for me or anyone else for that matter.  I then decided to conserve roe by baiting my hook with a hot pink & peach yarn ball followed by a small amount of roe.  A couple casts later my float buried and I was into a brute.  I thought it was probably a chum but soon found out I was fighting the biggest coho of my life.  Beached a hatchery buck at least 15lbs. It was a little colored but a beauty!  After a couple photos I was back at it and a few casts later was into a hatchery doe about 7lbs.  One of my mutts almost jumped in after her as she thrashed around close to shore.  The other guys around me still hadn't touched anything.  I gave a guy fishing next to me a yarn ball and wouldn't you know it a couple casts later he lands a chrome buck.  Coincidence?  Beats me! All in all a great day.  Would love to post photo of brute.....still cant figure out how to upload photos from my phone to this site even with the help of members on previous posts. Tight lines all.

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Valley, November 12th & 13th 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »

Congrat's Dave, good to hear. 15 lb coho, wooohoooooo !!!! Well done and thanks for the report !!!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:26:45 PM »

good job dave c. may have to visit that un named fraser valley river close to your home. with that yarn-roe combo shows a little ingenuity goes a long way. must have been quite a fight on your centerpin with that monster coho.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »

good job dave c. may have to visit that un named fraser valley river close to your home. with that yarn-roe combo shows a little ingenuity goes a long way. must have been quite a fight on your centerpin with that monster coho.
Yeah redtide its the one we were talking about. Quite a fight alright.  I was pretty calm when i thought it was a chum.  Once i realized it was a coho the heart really started pounding!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »

Yeah redtide its the one we were talking about. Quite a fight alright.  I was pretty calm when i thought it was a chum.  Once i realized it was a coho the heart really started pounding!

Yes, I have been surprised and quite pleased with both the size and quality of the coho in these Fraser Valley Rivers this year, even if the majority are unmarked.
Not all those who wander are lost

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »

While Sandman I applaud your vagueness for said Fraser Valley flow one vagueness I need to clarify is what does "unmarked" mean in your last comment? Are you talking about unclipped cohoes,or cohoes that come from unmarked rivers?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »

That rod in your sig looks like a custom job.
It doesnt happen to be a Trophy XL is it?

dave c

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

That rod in your sig looks like a custom job.
It doesnt happen to be a Trophy XL is it?
yup Trophy XL.  But have an Avon Royal Supreme with it now. My CP reel in avatar is now married with an 11' 6" Rapala Custom Float Rod.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »

Pretty sure that's my old rod.
Wish I never sold it actually.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »

While Sandman I applaud your vagueness for said Fraser Valley flow one vagueness I need to clarify is what does "unmarked" mean in your last comment? Are you talking about unclipped cohoes,or cohoes that come from unmarked rivers?

Unmarked is the same as saying wild as the hatchery fish are clipped or marked.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

dave c

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »

Pretty sure that's my old rod.
Wish I never sold it actually.
It is a Trophy XL alright but not a custom.  Just a store bought, very satisfied with it none the less.