Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 14th 2013  (Read 4947 times)

mvelasco

Chilliwack River, November 14th 2013
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »

Today may have been my last outting on the Vedde this season.I Fished my usual spot and out came the crowd. Like a zombie movie they came out of the woodwork one by one. A total of close to eight rods in about a 30 meter run. everything from 3 o'clock casters to 5ft leaders were in full force. Floats would dash across river as the fish got the bejebus scared out of it.Tails, fins and bellies up for the first bit. Snag and drag was the common practice upon these men. I began to question any fish that was tethered."Was it legit? That's too chrome to be a hatch".That fish ran for its dear life and the "angler" followed suit only to show up gills in hand. I tried to not let it bother me too much as I knew what I was getting into. A couple of hours passed and I only managed a decent sized Dolly.The weather was wonderful and it aided in drowning out the chaos around me. By noon I decided to put the rod down and have some lunch. A vet rod showed up and we had ourselves a good conversation as he geared up. we wished each other luck as we headed back to run to put our "luck" to use. At this point I decided to switch up to roe and see what I can get. with the setup I was using I wished I had hooks bigger than size four as I just threw lunch to the passing fish. back to blending wool I went and at this point I was hurling out any combination I could. I decided to try a combination of shrimp colored wool and white. Two casts in I feel the slightest tug and wham, hook set...FISH ON! this fish was doing all it could to get free.Head shakes, rolls and runs. at first it felt as if it was snagged but it quickly made its way to me(something I learned to quickly differentiate from a snag and a bite).I made my way to the fish to check and feel for the adipose.No dominant fin but the slightest little sliver.decided to tail it to get a closer look as I have seen some funny business in regards to "clipping".To my pleasure it was a misclip with a full heal.It was a good size female and  I clamped my hand tighter then made my way to a safe zone and began the process we are all used to. I normally tether my fish after bleeding but decided to leave it on wet grass. I made my way back to my rod to reset my presentation and get back at it. more time passed and not a great deal of action going on. The snaggers couldnt snag anything and the anglers couldnt entice a nibble. I decided to call it quits around 4:30pm and proceeded to clean my fish, dry the roe and change into more "civil" clothing.Gave another fellow who was having car troubles a lift back to town and grabbed some food from one of the many fast food joints. Upon arriving at home I  entered my room to look around and see my garments on the floor as if I was a snake shedding skin and the quick serve coffee cups sitting in various locations. then it hits me...salmon season totally engulfed my life for that span where I can only think about the next bite. Countless hours spent on the river, reading reports on outtings and river levels, scoping out the next rain fall and planning your run routes.I look over my room once more and I think to myself "Do I have one more trip left?". I begin to grin and say to myself "Why the hell not."
I normally post short reports but I felt the need to share some of what goes through my head as I have only fished rivers for 2 years. I moved out from Edmonton 5 years ago and started fishing religiously recently. This is my escape from the rushed lifestyle I have become used to. Some take the beauty at their doorstep for granted....and it is truly a shame.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Chilliwack River, November 14th 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:04 PM »

great report and well written...nice to see clean fish still being caught this late in the season, hopefully i can get out one more time myself.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »

That was one of the best reports i've read in ahile. I can relate to the part about salmon season engulfing your life and creating chaos in your room  ;) and the last line was money.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:20 AM »

Nice Read!!!! Gives me hope that a few chromers might still be had.

mvelasco

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

thanks for the positive feedback. I guess all the clean fish have less factors in their journey compared to a couplr of weeks ago

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

it was a good season for me too mvelasco. my highest coho count ever in 12 years on the chedder. And your right about all those hours spent fishing as well. Countless things to do that were neglected because of the pursuit of coho. Car repairs, house cleaning and maintenance just to name a couple. I have 2 trips left in me.....one for stave and one for chehalis. Then i hang her up.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »

I hung up the rods for the season.
Good luck to those who will continue chasing the fins.
You guys are true hardcores.

Mvelasco: Awesome write-up. You have the gift of penmanship. :)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »

That Was a good report, thanks.
Today was my last day as well, after a great week to end the season.
Far too many things neglected lol.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »

Thank-you for one of the most enjoyable reads here in awhile.Nice fish. Found myself retrospecting on the last bit.I just completed my third last trip yesterday.Sunday is beginning to look appealling now.LOL
Riverman

ICA

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »

Fellas, is it still worth the while to make a trip to the Vedder or the Stave? Which might be a better bet if I am just out for the fund of fishing and not the meat. Thanks in advance guys.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

Why not go find out for yourself? Its fishing.... The water conditions and fish moving changes day to day. But Id say its a great time to fish, with less pressure out there.
The Bigger The Better!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »

Fellas, is it still worth the while to make a trip to the Vedder or the Stave? Which might be a better bet if I am just out for the fund of fishing and not the meat. Thanks in advance guys.
Go the Stave and C&R some zombies  ;D
Lots of zombies to play with still.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »

I disagree.
Let the Stave zombies die with dignity.

Instead, hit the Vedder canal on the incoming tide and you might still get a fresh chum or two, maybe even a nice coho.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »

I disagree.

Instead, hit the Vedder canal on the incoming tide and you might still get a fresh chum or two, maybe even a nice coho.

Just don't light anymore bonfires under the highway bridge.
Not all those who wander are lost

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »

I disagree.

I agree to a point. If you fish the Stave fish mid river towards the mouth but not higher

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family