Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Valley, November 17th 2013: Cold Morning  (Read 2737 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Fraser Valley, November 17th 2013: Cold Morning
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

It's starting to get really cold and the wind did not help either. Tried a new river and first 2 hours of pounding a run that has produced well in recent trips yielded a single chum in 2 hours. We went up to another hole we had in mind but it looks like the bottom structure in the tailout changed a bit from last year. Was super shallow and the deep part at the head of the run was just too fast to get a fly down for a period of time. We saw fish moving right through but nothing holding for a long period. Kept walking up and hit a big hole and the amount of coho holding was crazy. Well, next 3 hours easily over 20 hookups and finished with some chromers to take home. Took a picture of the first one I bonked and a few others but seriously so cold. A lot of chrome wilds but most of the hatcheries seemed to have colour. Sparse patterns with a lot of flash did the trick, but twitching jigs on the outside edges of the big schools was crazy. Some of the funnest takes, and to see a fish come way out from the pod to take your fly/jig was really cool. Cold but well worth all the leg work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:42:44 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Valley, November 17th 2013: Cold Morning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »

Good report.
I admire your tenacity.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

nice fish bcfisherman97. I have the same pattern fly as well. Did not have the same success as you this season with it. Did you do a quick retrieve or the usual twitch and pull. Want to get 1 more outing before calling it a season. Supposed to get near freezing in the next few days as well.

wonder

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:50 AM »

Nothing like finding a coho pool to yourself. Nice post and fish

brandooner

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

nice work
The Fishin' Musician!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

Did you do a quick retrieve or the usual twitch and pull.

First I was twitching jigs but found out quickly that I would snag fish if I was putting it in the middle of the pods. After catching fish jigging beside the pods, I would cast out a but of a heavier tip and let it drop right beside the schools. I started off fishing a light tip but found I had to cast upstream and swing into the school to get down in the zone before my fly would land deep enough and beside them. The heavier tip let me cast just bellow but to the side and strip upstream and diagonal to the fish. Snagged 2 fish on gear and think I may have flossed a coho on the swing but that was before dialling into the presentation, still not bad for fishing in a run with that many fish. But fast 4 inch strips did the trick.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »

Let me guess... The spot you fished for the pics of the three dark fish the water was running from your right to your left?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

Let me guess... The spot you fished for the pics of the three dark fish the water was running from your right to your left?

Nope left to right

yoda

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »

Think i know where you were fishing, the run where it goes from up river to down river. :D
Yes, it is cold on the fingers now. At least in steely season you don't have to put up with the freezing rain much.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »

thanks for the info bcfisherman97. will definately try that next time.