Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.  (Read 12547 times)

DC1980

Wild....yup.....another wild coho.
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »

What's is with all the wild coho?  I think I have caught about 18 cohos this year,  all wild but 3. Only took one home.  I don't know if it's the rivers I am fishing but this is frustrating. Don't get me wrong I am still enjoying everyday I go fishing, maybe I just have bad luck. I go fishing with bro and after a couple hrs he has 2 nice hatchery coho lying on the beach.  While I get lots of catch and release practice.

Being pretty new at this does 3/18 hatchery coho sound normal to you guys or is this just the luck of draw.

capman

Re: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »

You are not the only one so don't feel so bad. had similar experience both on the salt and local rivers this season.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »

i enjoy seeing the wilds shows a good strong population, for me i dont mind at all catching wilds all day.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

It's been interesting this year actually. Lots of wilds in the rivers that I fish which are only suppose to have wilds. Also lots of hatcheries the times I have fished on the Vedder, etc where I am aloud to keep.

I also fish a couple rivers on the island that aren't suppose to have hatchery fish, and some days we are catching up to 30 hatchery/day... talk about straying  :o Too bad you're not allowed to whack em on those rivers...

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »

Even the Stave was 50/50 this year, usually 1 in 15 for wild
Everywhere else I fished forget about clipped ones lol

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »

Don't worry I used to be in the same position as you, only catching wilds, back when I first started fishing. But after years of figuring them out, I have zeroed in on just hatchery Coho and rarely catch wilds. Takes time to get to this point, but the more time you spend on the water the better youll get.
The Bigger The Better!

DC1980

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

Even the Stave was 50/50 this year, usually 1 in 15 for wild
Everywhere else I fished forget about clipped ones lol

Are you fishing the stave from a boat?  I have spent many days there caught a ton of chum but no coho.  I was floating a blade there today hoping to find some late coho.  Had 3 chums hit it in about 30 minutes, surprisingly one was really fresh. I have kept about 5 out of there but I bonked this one. I haven't seen a single coho caught on the west side.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »

My average for the system I was fishing this year was close to 10-1 wild over hatch.
Don't feel so bad.lol

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

Are you fishing the stave from a boat?  I have spent many days there caught a ton of chum but no coho.  I was floating a blade there today hoping to find some late coho.  Had 3 chums hit it in about 30 minutes, surprisingly one was really fresh. I have kept about 5 out of there but I bonked this one. I haven't seen a single coho caught on the west side.

No almost all my Stave fishing was from shore, this year and last year more so was excellent for coho there, location and water level is everything, though the crowds and poor behavior is almost omnipresent now making it tough i hear even for the locals lol.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »

1 hatchery in over 30 fish!! However I was never fishing in a crowd, the few people I did run into were either people I knew or just friendly people.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

Same here. lost count on how many i caught this year but wilds were everywhere. maybe 5 to 1 ratio. Most of my hatch's were in the first two weeks of october. I feel your pain after every release.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »

1 hatchery in over 30 fish!! However I was never fishing in a crowd, the few people I did run into were either people I knew or just friendly people.

Same.  Only 2 hatchery all season, but worth the seclusion.  The only person I had to share the river with in my last outing was my 8 year old...well, him and the "jig guy."
Not all those who wander are lost

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »

Ive caught 2 wilds and about 12 hatcheries this season. Thats on 3 different rivers. Seems the norm to me, but great to hear about all the wilds being caught ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »

heck, even some of the jacks i caught this year were wild...but for the 15 good sized fish i did manage to land, 8 of them were wild.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:21:52 PM »

I mix it up a lot and fish many different flows and I have to say, aside from the generally hatchery flows( rivers that are mostly hatchery run where its inevitable that the hatcheries and wilds mix) give me a wild fish any day. Why? Because we're sport fisherman and we want to get the most fun we can out of a days fishing. The wild fish fight that much harder in my experience and are just a pure joy to catch. Plus how can one not want to hold something completely wild as opposed to something man has aided. I fish the vedder and similar flows for the same reason as everyone else, cause I like to have some salmon in the freezer but in the end give me a river with mostly wild fish because they make an outing even more enjoyable in my opinion. Nothing like having a wild fish go completely nuts then getting to hold and let go something that just feels so different from something man has helped create. Its like a special feeling almost. Also I fished 4-6 days a week this season so I lost count of how many coho but I must say I enjoyed each and every one :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:28:12 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'