Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013/14 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 91336 times)

Hollis

Thanks for the info. My Son and I are heading out tomorrow, carefully. Cheers
The Fish Wisperer

Every Day

• Old Timer

Thanks for the info. My Son and I are heading out tomorrow, carefully. Cheers

If you don't have a truck with 4x4 and good tires, please stick to the lower.

Buddy and I went up for a drive to check out the upper and "parking situations" for fishing tomorrow. There were people pulling over at tamihi and walking to their houses, we served as a taxi for a bit so they didn't have to walk the couple km's up the hill. Every upper river pull-out was at least 14 inches deep in heavy snow, and the road was bad. If they plow the upper will be extremely hard to park in tomorrow.

15 inches of snow at my house in sardis, huge snow banks tonight that I witnessed multiple cars stuck in and pushed quite a few people out. Plows are going and roads around town are getting better, but if I owned a car and not a 4x4 with good tires I wouldn't go anywhere near above OTW.

The water was low and clear already.

Good luck tomorrow, and please drive sensibly to anyone heading out. So many people tail-gating us and driving way too fast. Lots of Chilliwack Lake road is sheets of ice, so stopping distance is not good especially on the hills.

Riverman

• old fart

Very smart advice.Thanks,time to be cautious for a bit.
Riverman

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A lot of the snow melted with the warm wind today, was around 8 Celsius, 4 now.

liketofish

• Old Timer

Is the snow melted enough for people to find parking in the lower river?

drh

Only patchy snow on the rocks in the lower today,was surprised myself when I got there in the am.Had to go home early though cause the fish Gods were smiling on me today  ;)

fisharoo

Water is low and clear, and as drh can attest the fish are liking it!

You should have no problem parking a sedan on any part of the river now. My city slicker fish-mobile did just fine.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Strong wind from the NE this evening.

tburns

Does anyone have a current report for the vedder?  I was thinking about heading out tomorrow to try my shot at getting my first steelhead before the rains come for real this week.

Carich980

I was out for the day today and when I left the river was turning from Greenish Silt to brownish. Got no fish today. Didn't hear or talk to anyone that did. Going to take a few days off the river, I don't think it will be very fishable for a while if the rain continues. Getting lots of Dark green Silt from the snow melt mixed in with the mud from the clay banks. Should be good when it clears hopefully.

tburns

I was out for the day today and when I left the river was turning from Greenish Silt to brownish. Got no fish today. Didn't hear or talk to anyone that did. Going to take a few days off the river, I don't think it will be very fishable for a while if the rain continues. Getting lots of Dark green Silt from the snow melt mixed in with the mud from the clay banks. Should be good when it clears hopefully.

Cheers, thanks Carich

penn

Visibility was down to about 4 inches late this afternoon at the crossing . Lots of snow melt + rain .

liketofish

• Old Timer

The river level graph shows the water shoots up quite a bit. Must be all mud now. Looks like we can forget about the Vedder for a while.

Chehalis_Steel

I wonder if anyone has experienced a season as bad as this. I'm relatively new to Steelheading, got my first on the fly two years ago but it really seems that this year is the worst I've had anyway. Is it possible but that the bulk of the run is late?

zap brannigan

Either late or just not invited to the party.