Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod  (Read 48542 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »

Although I have not fished a Sage 2106, I believe the action is close.

I am curious what you are basing your opinion on? I am not sure how you can compare actions if you have never used one of the rods in question. ::)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »

1363S is a spinning rod if you haven't figured that out already

Seriously?! I went back and looked at the pics...yeah...I think you're right :-\ I just assumed since they were under the "float rods" that the A and B handles were baitcasters. Crap. Oh well on less decision to make.

Thanks though for pointing that out.

Nitroholic

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »

there's a 1363C GL3 if you can find one

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »

Whew! I read back over this entire thread and made some notes as trying to remember all the info was giving me a nose bleed.

One thing I have been noticing with rod ratings is the line rating does not always correspond with the power rating. For example, my 10-20lb line Convergence is a medium power. The Gloomis GL2 1263C is a medium power but has a line rating of 6-12lb :o Then there is the Gloomis STFR 1363S with a 8-12 line rating, but only med/light power. What the heck? Obviously there is something I'm not quite getting...

FFM: It appears that your 1264 now only comes with a center pin handle. So that's out as an option for baitcasting. And you mentioned that the 1363S has a center pin only handle. I am having trouble with Gloomis' website right now and can't get the handle pics to load, but I'm pretty sure when I looked before it came with a bait caster handle. I'll double check later from home.

Assuming the 1363S has an appropriate handle, which of the three would you go if you were me?

STFR 1363: 11"4, 8-12 line, 1/4-3/4 line, med/light power, mod/fast action
GL3 1263: 10"6, 6-12 line, 3/8-3/4 line, med power, fast action
GL2: exact same specs as GL3 except MSRP of $70 less **apparently GL2 is "slower" than GL3 despite same action rating**

I like the looks of the 1363, although the med/light power has me a bit nervous.
I like the looks of the 1263 in GL2 and GL3 although the fast action has me a bit nervous.

I appreciate all the Sage info Silex-user and others. The next time I'm in Fred's or SeaRun I will price them out. From there I'll have to decide if I want a new cheaper rod now, or hold off and get a Sage later. Thanks for all the info guys appreciate it  :)

Norm_2: email sent to your hotmail account.

Not to belabour the point, but Berry's sells the GL2 1264 C (with trigger handle).  Check it out here:

http://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/1/1/1/casting-216/g-loomis-23/gl2-1/gl2-str-1264-c-w-trigger-13791.aspx

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

Wow thank you for pointing that out! Would you be more inclined to go with the 1264 over the 1263? Looking as the specs I think I would. The 1264 has a slightly higher line rating (8-12 compared to 6-12...although I doubt it would be that noticeable) and a moderate action compared compared to the fast action of the 1263.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »

Some other information: I used the Common Cents System to measure some Gloomis rods.
GL3-1263
Effective Rod Number of 14.1. Action Angle of 79. This is a very powerful rod (comparable to an 8-9wt Spey rod and equivalent to a 12wt single handed fly rod) that is also fast action (sensitive tip).

GL2-1265 - ERN: 15.5, AA: 72. So more powerful with a much stiffer tip.

If I were buying a factory levelwind float rod it would be the GL3-1263. It has enough backbone for large chum and springs, but is light and sensitive enough to be used for spoon fishing.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »

Well, thanks for all the tips guys :) I think I have all the info I need, now I just need to sit down and think exactly how much I want to spend and what I want. The final rods I'm looking at are:

Gloomis 1264 GL2: 10"6, 8-12 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure rating, medium power, moderate action. MSRP $275

Gloomis 1263 GL2: 10"6, 6-12 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure rating, medium power, fast action. MSRP $275

Gloomis 1263 GL3: exact same specs as 1263 GL2. MSRP $345 (however I found a used mint on in the states for $230 shipped free to Sumas)

Rainshadow XST 1263F: 10"6, 8-12 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure rating, med/light power, fast action (I emailed Valley Custom Rods and they said about $350-$450 depending on cost of components).

Sage 2106 B( also called CT?): 10"6, 8-17 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure rating, can't find specs on power rating, med/fast action.

I am temped to go with the 1263 GL2 as there is a ton of good reviews on it and it seems like a solid rod for my purposes. It's also "cheap" compared to the others. The 1263 GL3 has a lot of mixed reviews mosty people seem to love it or find it too stiff. One reviewer owned the GL2 and GL3 and said he did not like the GL3 for float fishing as he found it too stiff.

The Rainshadow is has a lot of good reviews but it's approaching the price of a Sage, so I think I would rather just spend a bit more $ and get the Sage. On the other hand it's nice to have something different than a lot of other people are fishing, so for that reason the Rainshadow still has my interest.

The Sage 2106 is arguably the best rod made in this backbone category and seems like a no-brainer if I want to get the best and not worry about upgrading in 5 years.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »

Sage may make you happier (because you can say you have a Sage), but there have been lots of changes in technology in 20 years.
GL3 and Rainshadow blanks are significantly lighter, for example.

My latest build is a personal Rainshadow XST1263F for salmon and steelies. I tried it out last week and it is very light, quick recovery, and very sensitive.
I am very happy with it.
ERN: 12.55, AA:77

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »

Rainshadow XST1263F..........      FS-ST-1063-2c

10'6

6-15lb/20lb braid

1/4-3/4oz

Mod-Fast

Medium

$215.00    probably the same blank they use to build this????    1/2 the price of a custom build....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »

Rainshadow XST1263F..........      FS-ST-1063-2c

10'6

6-15lb/20lb braid

1/4-3/4oz

Mod-Fast

Medium

$215.00    probably the same blank they use to build this????    1/2 the price of a custom build....

Mmmm...I don't believe it's the same blank. Although I could be wrong. According to Valley Custom Rods the XST 1263F blank is an RX8 blank which is a cutting edge "high modulus high strain rate" blank. I imagine the Fetha Styx rods use a lower end Rainshadow blank such as a RX-4 or RX-6. I'm curious and will ask VCR and report back.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »

Sage may make you happier (because you can say you have a Sage), but there have been lots of changes in technology in 20 years.
GL3 and Rainshadow blanks are significantly lighter, for example.

My latest build is a personal Rainshadow XST1263F for salmon and steelies. I tried it out last week and it is very light, quick recovery, and very sensitive.
I am very happy with it.
ERN: 12.55, AA:77

Wow nice looking rod! (probably the only place you can say this without is sounding gay, lol!)

Haha yeah I suppouse it would be nice to say "I own a Sage" but I don't care that much to be honest. If I do go for the 2106 it would have to be a nice used one as I just can't justify dropping $550ish at the shop for a new one. I'm in no big rush to buy a new rod and will keep an eye out on the buy and sell on this site, Craig's List, etc.

Typhoon, I'm curious what type of reel do you fish on this rod? I'm assuming such light rod would pair up well with a nice light reel like a Currado 300E, Abu 6500, Calcutta 200, etc.

Spoonman

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »

My bad...xst blanks seem to be mostly fast action...having a heck of a time navving the batson cataloge...there is an rx-6 blank that meets the specs(could also be a 7)....but I would really not call it "lower-end"...still a 33 million modulus...consider that higher modulus and the ensuing faster action could make the xst blanks more brittle and prone to bruising and breakage...the rx-6 would be one tough mofo...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »

Good point. I also notice that the Rainshadows only have a "limited lifetime" warranty. In other words, if you read the fine print, if it's your fault (in their opinion) that it broke, it will not be warrantied. Heck even my Reddington fly rod has a better warranty. It got slammed in a truck door, 100% my fault, and they gave me a new one no questions asked. Juts had to pay the $40 processing fee.

Spoonman

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »

...fell and broke the top three inches off my near brand new custom rainshadow 1355-F  and had  top section replaced for $20 plus shipping($20) through VCR....pretty tough finding an unlimited lifetime these days...not unlimited/no questions if you have to pay any kind of fee(imo)....miss the old days when you could take your rod back to Roger at Hub's and he would bust it over his knee before handing you one off the rack!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:36:11 PM by Spoonman »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »

How much do they charge for rebuilt the front section ?