Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod  (Read 48532 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »

Final bill was around $200(think that included blank costs) but I also had Mark tweak some things I was not happy with on the original build(he did not do it)...Tweaked trim ring,cork by butt cap, and fluted/shaped cork. Also had to buy thread I wanted off e-bay.Labour specifically for re-tie prob $125 ?   ..cost me a bit more than average because I  had him redo the guides on the bottom as well...also went all out with accent wrap(2) on all guides .....  before    after 
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

Spoonman, wow that was an expensive slip! However the repaired rod looks awesome and I'm sure you're happier with it now that a few things were tweaked.

So I'm talking with a guy at work today about the possibility of buying a Sage. He said, as FlyFishin Magician pointed out earlier, Sage no longer makes/sells factory gear rods. Guy at work was saying, and I think there is certainly some validity to this, that if I buy a used Sage I should look for a FACTORY rod. I believe someone actually mentioned this back a couple pages in this thread.

He made a good point that if I break a custom rod, Sage will replace it with a blank, then I will have to pay to have it re-custom built. Whereas if I break a factory rod, Sage will replace it with the same factory rod. Does this sound accurate? Are the factory rods more valuable/worth more?

I contacted an online seller with a brand new, never fished factory (green) 2106B (8-17 line). He is asking $600 for it and says he'll take $550 for it and not a dime less. Do you guys think this is a fair price? Worth paying for factory new instead of someone else's used custom rod?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »

The advantage of a custom built rod is that it is built to your specifications, parts etc.

Fishawn

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »

Spawn sack, I have a buddy looking to sell a barely used, mint condition factory 2106.  PM me your contact info and I'll put you guys in touch. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »

Spoonman, wow that was an expensive slip! However the repaired rod looks awesome and I'm sure you're happier with it now that a few things were tweaked.

So I'm talking with a guy at work today about the possibility of buying a Sage. He said, as FlyFishin Magician pointed out earlier, Sage no longer makes/sells factory gear rods. Guy at work was saying, and I think there is certainly some validity to this, that if I buy a used Sage I should look for a FACTORY rod. I believe someone actually mentioned this back a couple pages in this thread.

He made a good point that if I break a custom rod, Sage will replace it with a blank, then I will have to pay to have it re-custom built. Whereas if I break a factory rod, Sage will replace it with the same factory rod. Does this sound accurate? Are the factory rods more valuable/worth more?

I contacted an online seller with a brand new, never fished factory (green) 2106B (8-17 line). He is asking $600 for it and says he'll take $550 for it and not a dime less. Do you guys think this is a fair price? Worth paying for factory new instead of someone else's used custom rod?

I was the one that suggested considering buying a factory rod.  Yes, if you break it, Sage will replace the entire part, or rod -  you will not need to pay to have it rebuilt.  With a custom rod, Sage would give you the blank, but you will then need to rebuild the rod at your own expense.  There is a processing fee either way - I recalled it was 50 bucks to have my tip replaced?  Minimal charge IMHO considering that I've got this rod with the warranty for life!

If you don't like the way a factory rod is put together, or you have your own preferences, then go for the custom!  Custom rods can be very beautiful pieces of artwork for sure.  But I think Sage does a very nice job on its factory rods, so having a custom Sage over a factory model just isn't worth it for me.

As far as initial costs go, I thought that factory rods were a bit more expensive than a custom rod (blank plus build cost put together).  But the lifetime warranty (minus any processing fee) is worth it over the headache of having to have a rod, or even a tip, rebuilt.  Just my 50 cents worth.

Btw - if you went for the Sage 2106, you will not be disappointed!  This is my favorite gear rod by far over my Trophy, Shimano, and G Loomis gear rods.  Most of my fly rods (6 of them) are Sage rods as well and I love them all!  I don't think you can go wrong investing in a Sage rod.

Yes, the Sage gear rods were discontinued a few years back, but as I mentioned before, Sage brought them back recently for BC.  I saw them at Fred's this Fall while taking a break fishing the Vedder.  I also spoke with Sea Run and was told that Brian Babcock has the contract from Sage to build the factory rods up here in BC.  Hopefully this hasn't been discontinued.  Good luck and have fun!   :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »

Spawn sack, I have a buddy looking to sell a barely used, mint condition factory 2106.  PM me your contact info and I'll put you guys in touch.

Would be worth checking this out!  Give 'em a call!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:42 AM »

FFM, as always, thanks for the info  :) I can't remember if it was in this thread or another, but for the purposes of using it with a baitcaster for steelhead, coho and the odd spring etc it is the B I should be leaning towards, not the LB right? Based on the specs of the B (8-17 line) this is what I think would be best.

Fishawn, PM sent with email and cell #.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »

it is the B I should be leaning towards, not the LB right? Based on the specs of the B (8-17 line) this is what I think would be best.

If you are looking for a factory rod, they never made the 2106LB in a green blank or a factory rod, only the 2106. The LB's were only available as a brown blank

Silex-user

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »

Look up West Coast Tackle (Brian or Bonnie Ford) they carry lots of new Sage drift rods in both blanks and factory.

Silex-user

Brian Babcock

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »

Hi All. Thought I would clarify a few things here regarding Sage Gear.

First, yes Sage Gear is alive and well. Blanks are available through any authorized Sage Dealer. Additionally, I build a "factory" build which is sold through about a dozen Dealers throughout BC. "Factory" is in quotes because it is my build not Sage. This does differ from a custom build however because I actually handle the warranty on these rods as well. The warranty process is simple. You return the rod to any one of my Dealers. They forward it to me and I strive to have the section rebuilt within 5 days. The warranty fee is $60 payable to the store. In most cases, you're back fishing within a week. My rods can be identified with a small decal "Babcock Custom Rods".

Second, my apologies for not having specs and other info out there yet. A website outlining everything Sage Gear is on the horizon. Stay tuned.

Third, someone earlier made reference to the 2106LB not being available anymore. This is correct. However, I am considering bringing this blank back for next Fall. I'm still working with my Dealers on this but it's looking like we probably have enough demand to do this. As for this thread though, I would definately reccomend the CT2106 for a baitcaster over the 2106LB. The 2106LB is more of a centerpin action.

And finally, I will have a booth in Abbotsford this year displaying all my rods and rod building supplies. I will also be putting on some rod building seminars at the show. Hopefully I'll get the chance to speak with some of you then.

Thanks,
Brian

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »

Wow thanks a lot Brian! These dozen or so dealers throught BC you speak of...could you please tell us which ones are located in the lower mainland? I forget if it was in this thread or another during my research phase, but I believe someone mentioned that Fred's and Searun are the Sage dealers for the L/M.

I would like to price out what a new CT2106 goes for in the store and compare it to two private sales with factory rods I have contacted, one with a brand new 2106B, the other with a barely used 2106B. I am assuming both are built by Sage and not yourself.

Also, let's say I buy a factory rod from one of these private sales, and it breaks. If I bring it to Fred's does it matter that it was not bought there? Would it be sent to you to be rebuilt as a "factory" rod, or back to Sage for them to build the replacement rod?

Two last comments: one it will be awesome wehn that website is up with all the specs on these rods, definitely looking forward to that! Two, this booth you mentioned, will this be at the Outdoors show at Tradex?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:07:20 AM by Spawn Sack »

Brian Babcock

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »

LM Dealers: Fred's, Hatch Match'r, Searun, Berry's, Highwater, Nikka, Westcoast, Pacific Angler
Van Island: Island Outfitters, River Sportsman

A Sage factory rod can be returned to any authorized Sage Dealer for warranty. If it is not one of my rods (ie: doesn't have the Babcock Custom Rods decal) it must go back to Sage. They will process at the factory and return it to the store. There will be a $60 warranty fee for this.

Yes, I'll be at the Tradex show.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »

Hi Brian,

I know there was a recent run off 3113lb blanks that are around, but am excited to hear the possibility of  a run of 2106lb blanks. As you know they are still very desirable and I would bet the demand is there atleast for a similar limited run to help supply some of the people that have been on the lookout for an unbuilt blank floating around. I would definitely buy one myself for a custom build I have in mind to replace a rod I should have never sold.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

Hi All. Thought I would clarify a few things here regarding Sage Gear.

First, yes Sage Gear is alive and well. Blanks are available through any authorized Sage Dealer. Additionally, I build a "factory" build which is sold through about a dozen Dealers throughout BC. "Factory" is in quotes because it is my build not Sage. This does differ from a custom build however because I actually handle the warranty on these rods as well. The warranty process is simple. You return the rod to any one of my Dealers. They forward it to me and I strive to have the section rebuilt within 5 days. The warranty fee is $60 payable to the store. In most cases, you're back fishing within a week. My rods can be identified with a small decal "Babcock Custom Rods".

Second, my apologies for not having specs and other info out there yet. A website outlining everything Sage Gear is on the horizon. Stay tuned.

Third, someone earlier made reference to the 2106LB not being available anymore. This is correct. However, I am considering bringing this blank back for next Fall. I'm still working with my Dealers on this but it's looking like we probably have enough demand to do this. As for this thread though, I would definately reccomend the CT2106 for a baitcaster over the 2106LB. The 2106LB is more of a centerpin action.

And finally, I will have a booth in Abbotsford this year displaying all my rods and rod building supplies. I will also be putting on some rod building seminars at the show. Hopefully I'll get the chance to speak with some of you then.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks for the clarity Brian!  Getting a rod back in a week is incredible!  It took about 6 weeks for me to get my 2016 tip back from Sage.  It took several months for my buddy to get his tip back from Sage.  I guess I should have waited a couple of years before buying my 2106 until you started building them for Sage!  LOL.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »

Wow thanks a lot Brian! These dozen or so dealers throught BC you speak of...could you please tell us which ones are located in the lower mainland? I forget if it was in this thread or another during my research phase, but I believe someone mentioned that Fred's and Searun are the Sage dealers for the L/M.

I would like to price out what a new CT2106 goes for in the store and compare it to two private sales with factory rods I have contacted, one with a brand new 2106B, the other with a barely used 2106B. I am assuming both are built by Sage and not yourself.

Also, let's say I buy a factory rod from one of these private sales, and it breaks. If I bring it to Fred's does it matter that it was not bought there? Would it be sent to you to be rebuilt as a "factory" rod, or back to Sage for them to build the replacement rod?

Two last comments: one it will be awesome wehn that website is up with all the specs on these rods, definitely looking forward to that! Two, this booth you mentioned, will this be at the Outdoors show at Tradex?

I recalled seeing them at Fred's for $499.99, but this is going by memory and I cannot confirm this price.