Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod  (Read 48539 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »

Well, I guess all that's left is to decide if I want a factory Sage rod, or a "factory" Babcock built Sage rod. I'll chat with the guys next time I'm in Fred's, but I imagine the Babcock rods are built to the same specifications as a factory rod straight from Sage. In other words, they are same rod.

Also I like that if I break a Babcock Sage the turn around time to get it back is way less compared to sending it to Sage.

Can anyone give me a reason to buy an original factory Sage over a Babcock Sage? I suppouse there is the coolness factor than a factory Sage can not be bought in stores any more whereas anyone can buy a Babcock Sage from Fred's etc.

lapa

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »

Can anyone give me a reason to buy an original factory Sage over a Babcock Sage? I suppouse there is the coolness factor than a factory Sage can not be bought in stores any more whereas anyone can buy a Babcock Sage from Fred's etc.

Rod tube and socks ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »

You can probably find a brown blank used rod while Babcock's are all green.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »

I imagine the Babcock rods are built to the same specifications as a factory rod straight from Sage. In other words, they are same rod.

Can anyone give me a reason to buy an original factory Sage over a Babcock Sage?

Same blank, different builds. They are not the same as a factory built Sage gear rods.

I have not looked at the level wind rods, but I did notice a few differences between the 3113M's that are available now and my Sage factory built one. Most notably, the cork was so so and I think the reel seat and buttbox are very ugly on the Babcock sages and the reel seat threads are plastic instead of aluminum. I also hate that the reel seats are down locking, instead of up. Who wants to have their fingers resting on threads instead of cork. As I said, I haven't compared the level wind versions, but personally for the $600 they sell for new, I would much rather find a Sage Factory built version or buy a blank and have it built to your specs. Not meant to offend, but thats my opinion from the ones I have seen.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »

Rod tube and socks ;)

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just not hip :o

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

You can probably find a brown blank used rod while Babcock's are all green.

I'm sure there are some floating around, but the new and used one I'm interested in are both green. As far as I can recall from posts earlier in this thread and in other threads I've read the brown and green are the same. Just produced at different times. No?

lapa

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just not hip :o

With Sage factory rod you get Sage factory rod tube and Sage rod socks.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »

You can get a rod from me identical to the original Sage factory rods if that's what you want. After all, I was the one who originally built the Sage factory rods! The big difference now is that stores can order whatever configuration they want. Uplock, downlock, 4" butt, 6" butt, burl cork, plain cork, ALPS butt Box, Neoprene butt box, Fuji seat, ALPS seat, etc., etc.,...... If you're not in a screaming hurry, any of my dealers will be happy to custom design the rod you want. Usually about a 2 week wait to have built. And no, my rods do not come with a tube but they do come with a sock.

Thanks,
Brian

wallygator24

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

Mr. Babcock,

Why did sage decide to go with the titanium guides versus the ceramic guides on their gear rods?  Just wandering?  I have a few original gear rods, and a GSH graphite II 2106 with the ceramic guides. I feel that the ceramic guides are much smoother for casting power pro lines than with the titanium guides. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:31:58 PM by wallygator24 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »

Well, I met up with Fishawn's buddy this morning and am now the proud owner of a factory CT 2106 (8-17 line, green) :D I can't wait to get out there and break it in on a nice steelhead! The rod was a great score, not a mark on it, pretty much brand new, thanks again for that hook up Fishawn :)

I haven't put a reel on it yet but reckon it'll pair up very well with one of my lighter baitcasters like the Currado 301E, Abu 6501C3, or Calcutta 201B.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

I wouldn't pair it up with a 6000 series Abu (not that I don't like them).  I personally use my Calcutta 200B, or my Luna 253, with my 2106.  This makes the ultimate coho/steelhead set-up for rivers like the Vedder.  Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the "Sage club"!  Once you use this rod, you won't want to got back to any other!  Now go get some steel and give us a report!   :D :D :D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »

Why not the 6500 C3? I compared specs with this reel to the Calcutta 200B and Currado 300E. The 6500 weights 10.7oz, the 200B 10.1oz and the 300E 10.5oz. So all within a 1/2 oz or so of each other.

I really like the feel of the Currado, fits in my hand perfectly adn is just a pleasure to fish with. This would be my first choice. I rotate through my other reels mostly for kicks, and I do like them all some in more area than othes.

Which do you like better the 200B or 253 Luna? I've never owned a Diawa reel, I'm a Shimano guys when it comes to baitcasters. I've heard from a few guys that the Luna is a beauty reel but not as tough as the Calcuttas and over the years will require more $ invested in servicing, repairs, etc.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »

Weight, or mass, isn't everything.  In fact, you could make a similar argument over rods!  The Calcutta 200B is a smaller reel with higher precision, and will toss out lighter lines and lighter weights much more efficiently than the C3 6500.  Think about it.  The mechanics are different between the two reels.  When you cast a 200B, the levelwind does not move because the spool isn't as wide.  This results in a smoother cast, particularly with long distances and light weights, and the reel free spools with ease.  Contrast this to a 6500 - the spool is wider, the line guide moves back and forth during the cast - more movement and friction in the reel during the cast = less smooth. 

I line my reels as follows:

Calcutta 200B - 10 lb. maxima ultragreen - great for small flows and coho
Luna 253 - 12 lb. maxima ultragreen - my coho/steelhead set-up

My Abu C3 6500 is currently set up with braided line and I use it for bigger flows.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my C3 - it's a classic.  In fact, I've "hot-rodded" this reel, and it's a beauty!

As for the 200B vs. the Luna 253, it's a toss up.  I do find that the Luna anti-reverse bearing (roller clutch bearing) started to fail when the weather got really cold, or if any sand or grit got into the reel.  I was surprised by this, as I take good care of my gear and never lay it down in the water or on sand/gravel.  I had to take the reel apart and clean the ARB, but once I did that the reel worked like it came out of the factory.  The Luna is fully machined, and is a very nice reel indeed.  The mechanics are similar to the 200B (i.e. no line guide movement on the cast). To be honest, I love them both.

I haven't used a Currado, so I can't comment on it.  Anyway, that's my 50 cents worth!  Either way, you've got a primo set-up for coho/steelhead!!!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »

Ahhh, well that makes sense. Thanks for that info FFM I definitley learned something about reels there :) The level wind does not move on my Currado 301E when casting either, and I notice that it does cast lighter weight set ups better that my other reels where the level wind does move when casting.

The Currado E (not the G, they're crap) reels are VERY nice reels. If you have a chance to try one out you'll likely want to buy one. The 301E is by far my favorite reel I own (my new Galvan R-12 spey reel would be a close 2nd, may move into 1st place when I catch a fish on it, lol!).

I'm thinking of trying Maxima Chamelon for mainline instead of UG. Any thoughts on this? I just like trying new lines to be honest. Others I've heard good things about on this site are: Seaguar Senshi, Berkley Prospec, Rapala Tough, and Suffix Seige. The last three don't interest me much; however, I am a big fan of Seaguar's flourocarbon lines and imagine their mono is good stuff as well. I've only seen Chamelon on center pins - is it decent for level winds?

Fishawn

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »

Hey Spawn Sack,

Glad it worked out with the rod.

As for line, if you wanted to to try something other than UG, I've been pretty happy with both Stren (which is kinda cool because the purplish hue makes watching your line a bit easier) and P line X-tra strong.  I have found the Stren to have a bit more memory than the P line though.

Hope this helps.