Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 22nd 2014  (Read 3709 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 22nd 2014
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »

Had to meet some clients in the morning for TFSA and Health Insurance but got to the river around 12:00pm.

As soon as I stepped into the spot I wanted to fish, the guy across hooked a chromer. He had it on for awhile and finally got a nice hatchery fish of about 15lb..I think.

5 minutes later the guy next to the him hooked another one. It took about 10 minutes to land it and it was a wild fish.

Another 10 minutes went by and the guy next to him got a hatchery of about 10 lb.

I started fishing when I saw this and not long into it, I got one. The big fish move in and out several times and I played it for about 10 minutes. Just as I was about to land this hatchery fish, my hook came off!!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

5 trips, 4 fish connected but only landed 1.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 22nd 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

Good you are hooking them, better than many of us.  :-X :'(

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like things are picking up out there.  ;D

fishbuster

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:45:57 AM »

someones getting lucky

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »

Nice report Cohoman. Nice to hear about so much action in one run. This weekend will be a zoo with this report.  ;D

farky

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

If you fish the run from the other side like the rest of us, you'd have better odds at landing them  ;), see ya out there on the weekend !!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »

He probably dosent wana park his car in the river  ::) good to see RCMP out there today.
[

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »

What do the RCMP go to the river for? Some car theft?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »

RCMP can do licence checks and seize gear if they want to if your fishing illegal. It is usually RCMP that does the checks at Brownsville bar under the Pattulo bridge, I think mostly because a lot of crime goes on in that area.

They may have been looking for a stolen vehicle or maybe a person of interest
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »

I also have noticed something interesting and very worrying i must say. When the salmon season is in full swing and the most violations are happening on the river, at all the well known spots the DFO are on holiday. When its steelhead season on a weekday they are always around. . .makes you wonder do they not have enough paper and ink for salmon season, when its key for them to flex some muscle and prevent some future violations as well as ticket current ones.
[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »

during salmon season they get extremely spread out because almost all our local rivers get decent numbers of salmon. They are out there, somewhere, even if you never see them. I would say during salmon season they spend a lot of time on the Fraser as opposed to the smaller systems.

The more calls they receive the more likely you'll start seeing them in certain areas more frequently
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

Also keep in mind guys, compliance and enforcement are responsible for investigating and monitoring ALL fisheries related violations. AKA the commercial and First Nations openings (or river closures) usually coincide with the timing that we sporties are out fishing the rivers for salmon. No pun intended, but there are way bigger fish to fry than a guy snagging or keeping an extra fish when there could be boats out poaching thousands of fish per day, or per set in some cases.

The recreational sector is really a small piece of the pie. The fish we are harvesting are seen as "surplus" to commercial and FN openings.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »

Also keep in mind guys, compliance and enforcement are responsible for investigating and monitoring ALL fisheries related violations. AKA the commercial and First Nations openings (or river closures) usually coincide with the timing that we sporties are out fishing the rivers for salmon. No pun intended, but there are way bigger fish to fry than a guy snagging or keeping an extra fish when there could be boats out poaching thousands of fish per day, or per set in some cases.

The recreational sector is really a small piece of the pie. The fish we are harvesting are seen as "surplus" to commercial and FN openings.
Good point i didnt take that into consideration at all thx.
[

Carich980

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

RCMP can do licence checks and seize gear if they want to if your fishing illegal. It is usually RCMP that does the checks at Brownsville bar under the Pattulo bridge, I think mostly because a lot of crime goes on in that area.

They may have been looking for a stolen vehicle or maybe a person of interest

They may be able to check you out, but I doubt the majority of them hardly know the fishing regulations if any at all. Most likely if they suspected anything they would contact DFO just like anyone else. Only difference is they could actually detain you until DFO arrived.

If its the area i think it is they may have been there to go through the camp that was set up there. I heard that shady fellow was stealing cars and responsible for a lot of local B&E's in the area. He is now in jail as far as I know. Or perhaps they were enforcing drinking & driving laws which by the amount of cans laying around i suspect a lot of people are doing.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

If its the area i think it is they may have been there to go through the camp that was set up there. I heard that shady fellow was stealing cars and responsible for a lot of local B&E's in the area. He is now in jail as far as I know. Or perhaps they were enforcing drinking & driving laws which by the amount of cans laying around i suspect a lot of people are doing.

I was curious what happened to that guy. There is quite the mess left there.