Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artic Graying in the Vedder  (Read 21172 times)

Dryfly22

Artic Graying in the Vedder
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »

A very good friend of mine grew up fishing the Vedder in the 60's. He said he used to fish as a kid with Brian Minter and they used to catch Artic Grayling.  I have no reason to not believe him, it is just that I never thought that they would have ever been found this far South.  Can anyone confirm this?  Thanks. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Artic Graying in the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »

Not a chance that they were Arctic grayling. Most likely they were mountain whitefish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

I've also had lots of old timers tell me they were catching grayling... no idea why they call whitefish grayling

Dryfly22

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »

My Buddy really knows his fish.  He has been fishing ever since.  I asked him about the White fish and he said no way, Artic Grayling?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Pin-nook

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »

My Buddy really knows his fish.  He has been fishing ever since.  I asked him about the White fish and he said no way, Artic Grayling?

O-M-G...seriously?? I can see how your buddy could mistakenly ID a Whitefish for a Grayling because of the scaly pattern and head(sort of..) but there's "NO WAY" it was a grayling on the Vedder! For some reason I seem to hook these bastards targeting other species when there seems to be a small population in the Vedder.

Your buddy just lost credibility IDing fish or he's messing with you!

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Well, it's  the 60th. And graylings are hard to mistake for other fish.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »

Take a picofboth species and write white fish on the grayling and grayling on the whitefish and ask him which ones he caught.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »

^
LOL that's awesome

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »

I heard a rumour that there are steelheads in the Vedder. Can someone please confirm

zap brannigan

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »

Nope there is none.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »

The question has been answered properly and correctly. The only system that has Arctic grayling and flows into the Pacific is the upper Stikine and Tanzilla.

The topic is similar to the one easterners use when naming pickerel, pike and walleyes. Occasionally, old timers will call walleye, pickerel, when in fact a pickerel is a member of the pike, musklunge family and no relation to walleyes or sauger.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »

Unless its remotely possible someone threw some in there, I doubt they'd be Graylings for the reasons stated above.  :)

sandy999

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

My buddy and I have caught what we thought were grayling out of some lakes north of Dease`s lake when we were on fly in hunting trips. At least they sure did look like grayling with the large Dorsal fin. They most certainly nothing like the whitefish that we catch in this area.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »

Why not Grayling in the Vedder? There is Pike in Mill Lake and the swamp puddles around Abbotsford. Dogs are afraid of the Mill Lake pike and no longer go in there because they get bit. Those pike are eating all the helpless stocked Rainbows in the lake.

The way this year has gone, I probably would have a better chance of catching a Grayling in the Vedder than Steelhead. I can't see grayling in the Vedder unless there was some sort of un-official transplant experiment that didn't work very long.

Someone probably read some old incorrect synopsis and this rumour has passed down the years, like the Steelhead in Mill Lake or the bass in Kawakawa Lk. Next we'll hear about Halibut in the Fraser.

You know the old timers used to drink pretty hard in the old days - home made whiskey, Birch or Dandelion Wine was the problem. This could be some explanation of Vedder Grayling.