Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, February 27th 2014  (Read 5923 times)

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
Chehalis River, February 27th 2014
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

Hey guys, Been a few months since my last post but hope everyone is doing well. Decided to fish my favourite system this morning hoping to entice a rare steelhead!

The morning started with a tims double double and I was on my way. First spot I fished was just below the bridge. Walked along the fishermans trail and found a beautiful piece of water. There were two other anglers in the area however none in my spot. I only had spoons in my gear bag today but that was fine. About 15 minutes into the morning I noticed the fellow up river of me land a beautiful wild doe. I gave him a fist pump as he released it. 30 minutes later the darn guy was into another one! This time it was obviously a hatchery because he killed it and went home. I decided to walk up river and fish his spot. First cast...WHAMO!!!!!!!! I could not believe it. A rookie like me has a steelhead on. Blind sided me just like my first born child!

after a 5 minute back and forth battle the fish sprung free. I fished a few more spots then packed it in around noon.

Cheers guys.
crab cakes

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis River, February 27th 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

I fished it a few weeks back. Spotted one steelhead in the canyon and another guy hooked 4 in the morning. Also spotted a few sitting in the runs in the lower. But I still can't believe the amount if dead coho that got trapped in the forest when the water got high. Looks like none of them got to spawn and even the eggs that were deposited went to waste when the water dried up. Saw a 100+ dead and un-spawned coho in a short area of the river,

wonder

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »

Wow that's super depressing ^^^  :(
Haven't got out to the chehalis this winter water has been really low every time I've had a chance

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »

But I still can't believe the amount if dead coho that got trapped in the forest when the water got high. Looks like none of them got to spawn and even the eggs that were deposited went to waste when the water dried up. Saw a 100+ dead and un-spawned coho in a short area of the river,

This is exactly why they need to do something with this river before it doesn't have salmon left. Very depressing  :'(

This system used to have stellar coho fishing before the huge flood years ago.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

i think this system is doing fine for coho, i checked the cam and their was still coho two weeks ago. i fished the snot out of this system this year and did really well even with the lack of rain we had in oct and nov. however i did not fish it in its hayday.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »

does anyone know if the campsite is open in the winter? wanna do some late winter camping.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »

i think this system is doing fine for coho, i checked the cam and their was still coho two weeks ago. i fished the snot out of this system this year and did really well even with the lack of rain we had in oct and nov. however i did not fish it in its hayday.

The Chehalis is nothing like it was back when it used to flow through the hatchery.  Not even close.  Even after the first blow out, the Easter Seal run was still a nice piece of water until it got flattened back around 2006.  Now a days, it's best not to discuss this system on an open forum like this.  It just can't take the pressure like the Vedder/Chilliwack.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

The Chehalis is nothing like it was back when it used to flow through the hatchery.  Not even close.  Even after the first blow out, the Easter Seal run was still a nice piece of water until it got flattened back around 2006.  Now a days, it's best not to discuss this system on an open forum like this.  It just can't take the pressure like the Vedder/Chilliwack.

I didn't even bother fishing it this year. Too many damn people all the time in the limited space there is to fish. I only see myself fishing it if a buddy drives and that's where he wants to go
Check out our new blog

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »

What will it take to bring the river flowing back to the hatchery like the old days? With modern engineering and bulldozers and earthmovers, why can't they direct the river back to its old course during the dry season for the benefits of fish and the hatchery? A straight flowing river usually means fast shallow currents with no calm pools or runs at river bends to give good habitat for juvenile fish. If they can strengthen the dyke along the bible camp, why can't they put up some rocks below bible camp to make the river turn towards the hatchery again? If DFO wants to charge a stamp for fishing the Chehalis to raise money for this, I am sure many fishermen will support this.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:34:07 PM by liketofish »

winter steel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »

Why change the river back? The good old days.......when the river went away from the bible camp and towards the hatchery you had two runs perhaps three runs to fish before it braided (one arm into the bush and the second towards Purdy's). Those two/three runs were the hatchery/convention hole and the gun barrel run, where anglers lined up shoulder to shoulder and unless you were willing to do some bushwhacking you would be combat fishing regardless. Yes, you had Purdy's as well which would give you three/four solid runs, but I would argue that you have that many runs now as well to fish. Bottom line is one has to work a little harder to get to the fish. I sympathize with the older gentlemen who perhaps could fish that river before that no longer can, but for those that are mobile.....oh well. I love the fact that the Chehalis changes every year and the adventurous angler can find some great water with few people around. I for one prefer going the extra mile and you never know where you may find some fish lying around. As far as water for the hatchery, the intake above the bridge alleviates that problem. Tight Lines.

joshhowat

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

The only reason I see to reroute the river back to the original flow, is so the steelhead might swim to the hatchery. Making brood stock a lot easier. As long as the hatchery staff is willing to collect the fish for the trout hatchery.

On a side note I have found this has most definite been the worst year for this system. I fish it a ton too. One other big observation is the extrem lack of hatchery fish this year.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »

What will it take to bring the river flowing back to the hatchery like the old days? With modern engineering and bulldozers and earthmovers, why can't they direct the river back to its old course during the dry season for the benefits of fish and the hatchery? A straight flowing river usually means fast shallow currents with no calm pools or runs at river bends to give good habitat for juvenile fish. If they can strengthen the dyke along the bible camp, why can't they put up some rocks below bible camp to make the river turn towards the hatchery again? If DFO wants to charge a stamp for fishing the Chehalis to raise money for this, I am sure many fishermen will support this.

I think the only way to turn the river back to the hatchery would be to literally DYKE IT the entire way there otherwise it could just blow through again. The first couple years after that huge flood they did try diverting it but the first big high water destroyed it each time. Problem with that area is the river needs to turn almost 90 degrees. Reason they will never divert it now is because too many years have past and doing so would kill ALL the eggs downstream if it dried up
Check out our new blog

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »

Much as the same mind as Hook, besides 2for2 on smashed windows, nothing of any importance taken , unless you count a pair of mud boots, and they probably should have taken the tinactin instead of dumping it out.  ;D.

edit:
That Nitro attract scum as often as it attracts mechanics!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:07:27 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Ambassador

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

I still can't believe the amount if dead coho that got trapped in the forest when the water got high.

We were there a few weeks before that and it was really odd going past Coho's in pool after pool in the forest with no chance (perhaps with another flood) they were going to get out and spawn. Sad to see, but at least there were quite a few in the river to keep the run healthy.

And here is me one second before losing what I believe was my first Steelhead:

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »

We were there a few weeks before that and it was really odd going past Coho's in pool after pool in the forest with no chance (perhaps with another flood) they were going to get out and spawn. Sad to see, but at least there were quite a few in the river to keep the run healthy.

And here is me one second before losing what I believe was my first Steelhead:

Yes it is sad all the Coho stuck in pools going nowhere , if anything they will still give good nutrients to the forest  8) . As for losing that fish  :P might have been the high vis hat n coat , spooked um  ;D .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."