Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Sockeye Returns could be Bigger then 2010 Run  (Read 13381 times)

Dude

2014 Sockeye Returns could be Bigger then 2010 Run
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »

I couldn't think anything but to post this right after reading this article.  I know.....  I know its only march but it sure looks promising. Can you imagine 72 million Sockeye in the fraser river.  What ever the number be , but it sure does excite me  ;D

Here is thr article:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/anticipated-salmon-run-could-overwhelm-fraser-river-this-summer-experts-say/article17336330/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:15:59 PM by Dude »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: 2014 Sockeye Returns could be Bigger then 2010 Run
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »

lets cross are fingers, especially after the last few years of returns.

"The forecast ranges from a low of 7.3 million to a high of 72.5 million."

hopefully its closer to the high point than the low point.

dnibbles

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »

The point estimate is 23M. That would be the ballpark I would expect.

firebird

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »

This could be bad news for runs of other species that enter at the same time as the big runs of sockeye.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »

This could be bad news for runs of other species that enter at the same time as the big runs of sockeye.
Agree firebird.  Early Chilliwack coho and Cultus sockeye are but two.  My guess is you could add a few more ;)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »

It will be funny comes summer and only a small fraction shows up.

Madmardigan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

That would be bad for the socks themselves.The rivers were stuffed at less than half that in 2010.Only so many redds to go around.

Sure would be busy on the Fraser.

firebird

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »

Agree firebird.  Early Chilliwack coho and Cultus sockeye are but two.  My guess is you could add a few more ;)

I'm thinking most about threats to coastal and interior summer run steelhead but there are no doubt many sensitive salmon stocks at risk as well. Stocks with returns numbering in the dozens to couple of hundreds could be wiped out by non-selective commercial and First Nations fisheries and poor handling and non-compliance practices of sport fisheries. If all commercial, First Nations and sport fishers followed the appropriate guidelines to minimize impacts to non-target species, there would probably be no concerns. We're not quite there yet  :(

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »

That model's based on sockeye smolt outmigration.  Apparently, very few oceanic condition parameters are included in the model.  Theres a 65 million fish gap between the upper and lower limits, that gap itself is bigger than any run on record.  To say the goalposts are far apart doesn't quite capture it.  Given that we don't have a single definitive answer why the 2009 sockeye collapse occurred, and that the Cohen Commission report was largely disregarded, don't celebrate yet, we have no idea what will actually happen.  Predictions of sockeye returns are about as reliable as apocalypse predictions.

If there is in fact a huge return, the ensuing harvest will probably intercept many threatened interior summer run, coho stocks etc.  Also, because the "Fraser sockeye run" is composed of many different components from different rivers the big harvest could hit an individual run hard.  Example, an opening takes 1% of the "Fraser sockeye run", but of that 1% might be made up of, say, 75% of the Bowron River sockeye run because they happened to run when the river was bank-to-bank nets during one of the openings.

On the other hand, if the run is average, but the commercial boats have already invested a tonne of money into what they anticipated to be another 2010, then theres going to be a tonne of pressure to keep the fishery open longer than the data suggests it should be left open...

Also, the Fraser flossing fishery was/is/will be a disaster, more dickheads flossing everywhere all over the LML.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:08:59 AM by Matt »

wonder

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »

the bigger the run the bigger the commercial opening, look at the pinks this year. not like theyll open it for us anyways  ::)

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »

Im just going to say. I seriously doubt the accuracy of this prediction... the fish haven't even started back from around the island yet...
Though I am concerned with the weather conditions that we have had the past few years. this to me just means a bad thing might be comming. The water was so warm this last year fish were just dieing at hells gate. thousand of silver chrome sockeye just floated by me and my friend last year... if this is going to be even half of the prediction then we might have million fish float by this year. I just hope the water temp stays cool and we get an average rain fall this summer, not the 4 months
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:01:08 AM by Brian the fisherman »
Tight lines to all

hungry6

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »

So when would be the peak period for the return of this species? I'm guessing around June/July.
Can someone shed more light of the timing thanks.
I'm planning a trip there this year and currently it's for sep/oct. But I can move it forward if needs to be.

Thanks
Wayne

riptide

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 05:43:11 AM »

Around 2nd week of August to first week of Sept., don't forget that's the approximate run not the opening for fishing. Dfo decides the openings.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that