Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat trailer and riv process  (Read 3333 times)

RG

Boat trailer and riv process
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with u-built trailers and the riv process.  The kit crossed the border unassembled with all the paper work intact.  I've since purchased the trailer but the original owner never sent in the Form 1.  I obviously want to get the trailer insured, anybody ever go through a similar process? All legitimate and legal papers (certificate of purchase, bill of sale, taxes...) present.

Radman

Re: Boat trailer and riv process
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »

I just built my own trailer and all they needed to register and insure the trailer was receipts for all the major components to prove I paid the taxes on it.  apparently thats all there is to it for trailers under 1400kg gvw.  Over that weight and things get more complicated.

RG

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »

Was your trailer from the U.S.?  Your scenario was what I was initially told by ICBC over the phone but when I went to a broker with all the paper work they told me to go to Canadian tire to get a second stamp on the Form 1.  But first, Canadian tire needed me to print off a Form 2 from riv (original owner never got as far as that), then they would inspect the trailer (VIN most likely) and then I could take it to ICBC.  The weird thing is is that you need insurance to haul the trailer around so they gave me temporary insurance anyway.  Like yours it's a very small trailer for a 12ft aluminum.

poper

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »

I didn't have to show them anything to insure my trailer,I went in and said I want to insure my unbuilt trailer,they asked what I was useing it for, and I paid $80 for the year.

sandy999

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »

I didn't have to show them anything to insure my trailer,I went in and said I want to insure my unbuilt trailer,they asked what I was useing it for, and I paid $80 for the year.

I have had the same experience. I have found that they do not care where the parts came from. Only that you built it. I think that they believe that you already paid the tax when you bought the parts.

RG

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

Hmm, well its not working for me, I guess it's because it's from the U.S.

sandy999

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »

Hmm, well its not working for me, I guess it's because it's from the U.S.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood-I though that the trailer was bought in pieces and you put it together-it seems that I was under the wrong impression.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:16:07 PM by sandy999 »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

Bought a boat on a trailer from Washington State & went to Canadian Tire to get the trailer inspected.
When I went to get the trailer insured at a place where I dealt with for many years & same staff person his verdict was: no insurance could be issued!!!
What!!!
He argued & argued & said he knows the insurance business.
Asked him to call the head office on the " hot phone "
Oh what do ya know " got my plates " & coverage on the spot.

So kinda feel the hassle your possibly feeling.
Red tape.