Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secure your garage door  (Read 4685 times)

mcallagan

Secure your garage door
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

Now that this is on the net more low-lifes will try it!!! >:(

Look at both sites.

Crooks opening garage doors.
There are two links the first is how they are doing it. The second is how to prevent this from happening to you.                                                                                                                                                     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Stay safe!

rgm

Re: Secure your garage door
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »

I blacked out the windows at my last house and at my current house, I have no windows. That method would be almost impossible if you can't see the latch.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:22 AM »

Unfortunately most that will use this are experienced and can do it by feel. Same way you jimmy a car door open by feel, just takes practice

Dollar store zip tie is better insurance than blacking out your windows and hoping however Im sure with blacked out windows you would be looked over more often than not
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:49:34 AM »

Opening my garage door just allows all the cobras and pitt vipers to escape. Anyone is welcome to enter.

rgm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »

Of course, I should have added that keeping things out of sight is only part of trying to keep things secure. Sadly, if someone really wants in, they will find a way. Cobras and pit vipers eh? Hmmmm.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »

Thanks for posting this.  I'll be sure to zip tie mine when I get home.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

In my "floor waxing" days must of did over 200 or more dif. buildings & industrial sites. Many times of course doing the same place on a monthly or so.
But being the only person most times doing the work I always knew criminals could be lurking about.
After all I had the alarm shut off,late into the am & many places had very expensive stuff in the buildings.
In the millions of dollars.
- car dealership had my side window busted in New Westminster.
- down town many times veicles had their windows smashed near my parked pickup ( canopy )
-in Pt Coq. at a dealership seen the mobile security take a tire out of a pick up. Gee thought these guys were to protect property ???
- another security guy on foot patrol kept turning as I talked with him.
His hands were behind his back. He had boxes of sugar that I guess he was going to bring home.
(Ha!)
-One place I waxed in S Vancouver near the City of Vancouver Work Yards had their place broken into. So they got in a security co. & the place kinda looked like a fort afterwords.
Big bar doors with not 1 but 2  padlocks behind the glass enter doors & bars were put at every window.
When waxing those floors my heart rate would increase because after unlocking the main glass door ya had seconds 45 secs to get to the alarm pad.
Had to bend down & unlock the bottom padlock & then the other higher up one & open the bar door & race to the pad. Sometimes only 10 secs left before punching in the 4 # s
Plus when leaving ya had to put on the alarm & race to put on the padlocks & lock the 2 doors!

On Annacis Island did a big place that had 2 warehouses & in the middle had a 2 story office area.
Also there was a store area. Sold equipment & supplies worth big $$$.
So I shut off the alarm & had to wax & clean non wax floors all over this plant.
One day while pushing my equipment from one area to another ( take 2 work days to complete my work ) I heard a loud noise.
The warehouse garage doors had a small set of windows & the burglar smashed a side window & he had his hand reaching in trying to unlock the latch lever.
So I ran up yelling at the guy & he ran off & jumped into his veicle & sped off.
He yelled sure "foul language" at me so guess I spoiled his plans big time.
The pri_ _ must of knew someone was in the building as he must of seen my truck parked.

So am not surprised by this started post.
People who steal are out there. Like ants.
Check out the updated crime weekly map. Either on web via City Hall or the Police site.

" Thou Shalt Not Steal "
The "Eye in the Sky" sees & records all.  ;D

Ian Forbes

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »

Sadly, if someone really wants in, they will find a way. Cobras and pit vipers eh? Hmmmm.

They are effective...

I can leave my car unlocked with my $3000 Nikon sitting on the seat beside the cobra and nobody ever tries to steal the camera.

zap brannigan

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

unless they had a mongoose.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

alarm system, no or blacked out windows, beware of the dog sign, neighbourhood watch, in side locking bolts,  security camera, etc etc ;)

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:10 AM »

Moving to Adams Lake .Many people leave stuff unlocked.Small group of cabins access by water only.Ferry operators know all vehicles because they live there.The fishing is petty good too.
 Yesterday at Safeway some methhead accosted my wife and I at the till no less.Wanted to know if we would give him the cash for our bill and him run a credit card for it.Manager threw him out!Going  to the garage to install stout tywraps on both garage doors now.
Riverman

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »

Now that we all have secured our garage doors, we just may get robbed by the other 1000 ways.
Stealing gas was & is a big problem.
Gov. local,prov. & fed. increasing taxation because of their bad budgeting & over spending.
& how about white collar crime.
MDs charging the BC Medical in a dishonest way.
Every area & like ants stealing is happening.

If ya want to see one very very big example of selfishness & stealing that will "blow your mind" watch this weekends CBC News Ch today & tomorrow ( repeat ) The 5th Estate.
A few stories on the show but the last feature has one in the city of Dixon USA where US Pres. Ronald Reagan was born. 

The lady in charge of "the books" was very very crafty. Stole 53 million dollars from the taxpayers. The fire dept., road crews, ( wkrs laid off,& no new trucks ) staff wages frozen, while she bought ranches, 2 million $ RV bus, 200 horses,vacation home in Florida on & on.
Even yrly audits by private co. could not find any wrong doing.
Till after 10 or more years the truth became known & the "cooker of the books" is now serving time in a prison & all her belongings auctioned off.
Plus private audit co.(s) sued for not finding the problems.

Yes lock up your garage doors well & safe guard the other 1000s of ways ya can be ripped off.
Including paying much more $ for the very same product in Canada compared if bought in the USA. If that's not stealing, don't know what is.
Go to buy a vehicle & the sales guy wants ya to pay high while a buyer who spends possibly hours arguing for a better price just may save $1000s. If that's not stealing,do not know what is.

Plus dis honest repair services. Another big problem.
Be wise folks.
Guess we should wear a biker jackets & have a few tattoos, so maybe they would be afraid to rip us off.
Or hire a biker to tag along when ya buy a car or get things repaired  ;D
( like the snake idea ; maybe buy some rubber snakes that look realistic. Like a replica handgun idea )