Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook in the Lower/Tidal Fraser  (Read 8227 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Chinook in the Lower/Tidal Fraser
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

I know there are bar fishermen out there doing their thing.

Is the same approach useful out of a boat?  Anchor and cast out a spin glow or hot shot + roe with enough weight to hold bottom? 

Does it make sense to troll or do they typically stay too close to the bottom to not get the gear constantly hung up on the deadheads, snags, shopping carts and old logging equipment etc. 

Deep sixes/Jet divers perhaps?  I'm spit ballin' here.

I typically put in around Fort Langley and would like to spend some summery nights out there knowing I at least have a CHANCE at hooking into one...

Not looking for any trade secrets or to invade into charter strongholds...just any success stories and general approaches would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Chinook in the Lower/Tidal Fraser
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »

I have heard of charter guys doing "back trolling".

Probably don't need to be very deep so a banana weight would probably work.

Not sure if you can use roe, though.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:11:41 PM »

Your chances of hooking up are much less of those bar fishing in the chilliwack to hope stretch however that being said, it can be done. I too have heard of people back trolling quick fish and even hot shots. How much success they have I'm not too sure. As for a bar rig it will work, roe is your best bet if the bait ban is lifted however if it's not then a spin and glow may work. Just make sure you have a decent current as the spin and glow needs some flow to work properly. I have caught a couple by accident fishing pinks with spoons as well so it can be done. Your success rate is the only thing that will be iffy.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:58:29 PM »

There is no doubt you can catch them in the lower but other than some accidentals while spoon fishing I don't know anyone firsthand that is doing this.

I bought a bunch of hot shots and flatfish one year and still haven't given that an honest try.
Im thinking a big spoon that turns easily would be good for the lower.??

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 07:10:10 AM »

Back decades ago the mouth of the Stave and to a lesser extent the Pitt were popular spots to troll for springs using large spinners and spoons. This was normally done during high water - June and the first half of July. The bubble of clear water (the Pitt can run relatively clear as the tide runs out) would attract and concentrate salmon. Part of the problem with catching adult salmon in summer otherwise was the lack of visibility and that the fish moved pretty consistently upstream, not stopping in known resting spots. The odd jack gets taken off the bars with roe and that fishery sometimes picked up considerably if the water cleared up somewhat by mid- August
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »

Just curious what could have caused the mouth of the Stave or Pitt to be not as effective as before? Since these rivers are still clear streams and the waters at their respective mouths should be similar like before, what has changed? Run size of springs is way down compared to old days? Just an intelligent guess.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »

used to see lots of red springs and some socks in the Stave in the summer, maybe 12 years ago was the last big year I saw. Haven't seen even the big whites in the last few falls

wonder

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »

ya i fish stave quite a bit yet to see a spring in there

Humpy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »

I saw somebody catch a Jack Spring on the Stave last year
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »

I guess I'll just get out there and give it a go.

Probably not much hope but the weather should be nice into late September and into October.  Who knows, might tag a chum or something...

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »

Have been watching a few vids from the Columbia and how they do it there and I don't see why these methods wouldn't work.
Id bet dimes to donuts if an effort is put in you will hit fish.
Will have to pick up a few big wobbly spinners.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »

Heading out there tonight after watching a lot of vids.  Talked to one guy at Wholesale in Langley that uses "columbia techniques" with success.  I took some lessons from all sources and will be giving it a shot.  I understand it might be better up around Harrison but I will be mid-river looking around and starting to learn.  You never know...

chromeo

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »

It's all about water clarity....less than 1.5 ft forget your whatever techniques.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »

Word, thats what we were up against tonight.

Some lessons learned, some spots scoped out, gear got wet, the cervezas were cold and the weather was spectacular.  We were the only boat fishing in the few kms that we explored (probably for good reason).

We tried some straight up trolling, some "plunking" and some back trolling.  Saw a few large chromers jump and a few porpoising which gave us a glimmer of hope.

But 4 hours on the water, 10$ in gas and good company is worth it any day of the week.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »

Is there a bait ban for the lower ?   . I haven't heard if there was or not . Wouldn't mind plunking in some roe .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."