Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Changed Rod Warranty Policy - What to Do?  (Read 7862 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Shimano Changed Rod Warranty Policy - What to Do?
« on: July 17, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »

I was on the market for upgrading my Convergance to a better rod, esp, with a faster action build. I did some research and ended up with the Shimano Technium and Trophy XL as my last choices in my budget range. I went to the store this afternoon to pick up the Shimano and I learned that as of last week Shimano has changed its Limited Lifetime Warranty to 1-Year Limited Warranty!! :-\

There is about $80 difference between the two but Trophy still honors a lifetime warranty. What do yo uguys think? Should I just eat the bullet and go with Trophy XL or just save my $$ and get the Technium with a poor warranty?

VA7DDP

Re: Shimano Changed Rod Warranty Policy - What to Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »

Yes; that is correct. Shimano will no longer be offering life time warranty on their products. If you have a older rod, or purchase a new rod that has a "Lifetime Warranty" Tag (Old-Stock) Shimano will grandfather you into the old lifetime warranty program. Please also note that Shimano has altogether discontinued the Over The Counter Rod Replacement Program.

If you are in the Vancouver area I can see if we still have a Old Stock Techinum in stock; that would still have the lifetime warranty program. If you want me to check please provide me with the model that you want.

VA7DDP

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »

Also have you considered the Fenwick HMX Rod?

RainbowMan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »

Also have you considered the Fenwick HMX Rod?

Thanks, VA7DDP. Yes, I am in the LML area. And yes, I did look at HMX but I heard mixed reviews about them. I heard the quality of their rods has gone downhill in the last 3-4 years. I do hike in the Canyon and I need a solid rod. I've been using my Convergance for 8 seasons and it's taken a lot of abuse but it's still in a good shape.  ;)

BTW, how does the Lifetime Warranty tag work? Do you need to keep the tag and your receipt? How can they figure out from your receipt if the rod had a "Lifetime Warranty" tag on it?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »

BTW, how does the Lifetime Warranty tag work? Do you need to keep the tag and your receipt?

Keep your receipt for lifetime warranty claim.

VA7DDP

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »

BTW, how does the Lifetime Warranty tag work? Do you need to keep the tag and your receipt? How can they figure out from your receipt if the rod had a "Lifetime Warranty" tag on it?

Yes; Keep Your Receipt for Sure; If you do not have the tag they can look up the manufacturing date by a date code located on the rod.

VA7DDP

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »

I did look at HMX but I heard mixed reviews about them. I heard the quality of their rods has gone downhill in the last 3-4 years. I do hike in the Canyon and I need a solid rod. I've been using my Convergance for 8 seasons and it's taken a lot of abuse but it's still in a good shape.  ;)

If you are looking for strength and durability I would go with the Techium rod; As it is layered with both Glass and Graphite creating a light yet durable rod.

My brother has had issues with his HMX; most of the issues were with the ceramic inserts that are in the rod guides.

Also the only Techium we currently have would be the Casting Model (has the trigger on back).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:41:31 PM by VA7DDP »

FishOn36

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:09:10 AM »

The Technium is a great rod, hands down. Sucks about the warranty though, I didn't even know they had a limited lifetime warranty on em.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23:35 AM »

Have broken many rods but all have been my fault.  "High sticking" or holding a rod with your hand up to high on the rod while applying pressure and also a few snapped ends while closing trunks.

Also have hooked large springs while coho fishing with light gear and never worry about the rod breaking, as long as I use it properly.

If the rods are of similar quality and build I'd go for the cheaper one.

RainbowMan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:42 AM »

Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to pick up a Technium with the lifetime warranty tag. Trophy XL looked like a descent rod but may not be as durable as Technium. I liked the sensitivity of it though. With a good reel and the right line weight, you should be able to feel the tiny coho nibbles under a float. Something that I've missed a lot with my medium slow convergence...

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »

I've got a Technium and a Trophy XL.  Both are fine rods.  My Technium is a heavier duty rod, so I use it primarily for targeting springs.  The Trophy is a back-up to my Loomis, which is a back-up to my Sage 2106.   ;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness, I'm happy with my Technium, as it has the backbone to really put the boots to the springs.  I'm always a bit leery about putting too much pressure on a spring with my Sage 2106, but in most cases I have no problem fighting them in rivers like the Vedder.  I just accept the fact that if the spring turns and decides to head downriver and there's no where to go, I just break the fish off.  Also, if you take the pressure off a spring, it could turn back up river and swim back!

As for coho, I find that even with my Sage, it's more about watching the float then feeling the nibble.  Often the float will hardly move - just twitch or drift in a different way which signals a bite.  It's like chironomid fishing with an indicator.  I found it difficult to master at first, but once "dialed-in", I rarely miss a strike.  In fact, I've learned to not set the hook so hard - as I've seen some guys go "bass-masters" on the fish which is not necessary and could spook the school.

I digress.  Go with what you're happy with.  If you can get a Technium that still has the limited lifetime warranty, then that's a good thing.

RainbowMan

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

I managed to find a Technium 11' 6 that still has a Limited Lifetime Warranty tag on it and surprisingly it was on sale too! :D

Trophy has the lifetime warranty and can be exchanged/fixed at their service centre in Coquitlam. It looked to me as a descent rod and very light too (compared to Technium) but I still liked the solid feel and look of Technium better. Can't wait until I hook my first Red of the season at Vedder next week. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Tight lines...