Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, October 30th 2014  (Read 2665 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Chehalis River, October 30th 2014
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »

In the morning the rain didn't came down as forecast, hence, my lovely better half said "Get the yard work DONE!!!"

By noon....
drip drip YES It's raining!!!  Please hun let me go fish!!!  Pretty PLEASE!!!

Finally get to be on my way around 1pm.   Upon arriving at the river it felt like taking shower.  I proceeded to work my way down river.

On my way down to the pool I fished the other day I saw a few rolling fish in a tail out and decided to stop and make a few cast and see if
any coho would take my offering.   My float wobbled a few times and no solid take.  A few casts later with same happening finally got a fish....
A tiny whitefish..

Back into the river it goes.

There seems to be a group of them in the area.  Kept on stealing my bait.   So I decided to dab on a big glob and let it drift....  and drift... and bait getting smaller..... FINALLY got a coho!!
I managed to land 2 here and the commotion must've made the others to move up river as the place just died down.  So more hiking was in order.

I got to my luck pool and saw 2 springs fighting in the shallow chasing each other, I thought no coho with the right frame of mind would be any where close to those 2 wackos.  So, instead of work from top of the pool down I proceeded to the lower part.  With the rain and thick cloud plus the sun setting in behind the trees I realized I've spent too much time at the tail out and now I probably only have about 30 min of fishing time left and leave enough time to hike back with some light.   I decided to use larger chunks of bait just so I can finish them up and don't have to throw away.  Not many casts later I got myself another coho it's slightly bigger than the ones from earlier but not as chrome...  Well I don't have much time left so can't be picky.  BONK  it's coming home with me. 

Quickly I rebait and started casting and looking at my phone to check time.  Hmmm, where's my float!?!  Man I should've used white float.. i gave the line a light pull and ZZIIIPPP.....   HOLLY It's a nice size fish!!!  As it went up river I thought it was a spring, then it decided to leap/twist and roll OMG It's a decent sized coho!!  As I tried to control it the fish decided to beeline for the shore and I quickly gave it a bit of help and it's flopping in inch deep water  I reached down to grab it and felt or didn't feel that god forbidden adipose fin I throw the coho further away from water.  It's huge, I guesstimate it #12-#15. 

By this time it was getting DARK,  I quickly packed my cohos and speed walked back to my car.
At home I weighted the coho and it was #13!!!

sbc hris

Re: Chehalis River, October 30th 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »

Sounds like a great day, thanks for the report. I'm enjoying living vicariously through the reports this season. Oh and that one fish is a tank! :o

jacked55

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »

I think i walked past you when i was coming out right by the yellow gate you were coming in perhaps?
I had my headphones in and it was raining hard so i didn't stop to chat.
Glad you had a great day.
Tight lines.

redlad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »

good stuff!  Wet weather fun.

When I am stuck at work behind a KB coffee berak and posts like this make the day bearable  :)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

im jealous bwibwi. this thing called employment and house chores makes it hard to get out more than 2 days a week. Boss at work and Boss at home wont give me any time off either.....they know ill be fishing. Nice fish that big one is a beauty.

dave c

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »

Nice read thanks Wicked buck. Good for u.