Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 16th 2014  (Read 5212 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, November 16th 2014
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »

A few of us braved the cold this morning by arriving at our spot at 6:30am. Water has dropped quite a bit since a week ago so the previous spots where I had been consistently getting fish at were not as good anymore. The spots are now more confined to a smaller area so coho salmon are now mixing in more with the chum salmon. There are still fish showing themselves, but not as much.

I managed to lose one and missed a few on the 1/4oz Croc spoon, while one buddy landed two hatchery-marked coho salmon which looked like they were fish from September.

jeff

Re: Chilliwack River, November 16th 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Good for you guys Rod I went out this morning and had to work hard to get 3 chum and couldn't find any coho.
Enjoying the water..........

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »

With the lower water I'm going to try to get out fly fishing in the next couple of days. Am I still likely to find fish in the lower river?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »

With the lower water I'm going to try to get out fly fishing in the next couple of days. Am I still likely to find fish in the lower river?

There's only one way to find out… Water is low enough that some fly fishing friendly spots are now available down there. I was just thinking about it this morning when looking at some of the shallower spots.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »

Nice looking fish there Rod!  Esp. for this time of year on that flow!  Stratocaster was telling me I need to invest in a decent spinning outfit.  I'm still pondering that idea...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »

Nice looking fish there Rod!  Esp. for this time of year on that flow!  Stratocaster was telling me I need to invest in a decent spinning outfit.  I'm still pondering that idea...

Yes! You should! :)

Pin-nook

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »

It doesn't have to be super expensive but I use a spinning outfit I bought about 12 years(Fenwick rod/Diawa Reel) and have been using it more the last 4 years when targetting coho on hardware.  I'm not sure if I'm dialed in more with a spinning reel in terms of retrieving spinners or spoons but I seem to hook more fish than with my small casting outfit. I'd still prefer playing fish with a casting outfit but why mess with confidence at the moment!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »

It doesn't have to be super expensive

Sure. ,why not. It makes you look rich and fashionable. . :D :P. who cares you can catch any fish or not. But it looks Goooooood....

yoda

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »

Nice fish Rod. I think I know where you are fishing. I remember those rocks :-X ! Just kidding.

Pin-nook

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »

Sure. ,why not. It makes you look rich and fashionable. . :D :P. who cares you can catch any fish or not. But it looks Goooooood....

;D ;)  Hey Big T...Long time!!

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »

I have a 39.99 dollar spinning rod set up and have fished it for 5 years now.
Caught hundreds of hos/pinks/and chum.

The line i have used over the years has well over cost the rod. I have probably put 100 bucks of line on the combo over the years...
its just how confident you feel in being able to respectfully catch the fish with out putting out a 20 min fight and killing it of exhaustion.
plus im just cheap.
Tight lines to all

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »

I can say without a doubt, if you drop around $200 on a spinning combo, you'll never want to go back to a cheapo.

It's very nice having a rod that is light weight, with good feel, smooth drag, dependable. I'm super picky with my spinning rods now, half the time I pick up another person's to try I absolutely hate it and put it right back down. Half of the fun is actually having a good rod that makes the fights enjoyable, and makes fishing the entire day enjoyable (as said before - light, well balanced).

You should see the looks on my friend's faces when I pass my spinning rod to them after they've been fishing theirs all day. It makes a huge difference. I'm not saying that you'll catch more fish on the more expensive combos - it's just easier on you throughout a full day and makes everything more enjoyable.

Pin-nook

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

ED,

What reel are you running? Funny but when it comes to spinning reels I feel out of my element!  I like the action on my old Fenwick and the Quantum reel(thought it was Diawa) balances it nicely but I want to up grade cause I want a smoother drag. At the time I paid  $210 for the combo and have landed chinooks and chum even when rod seemed close to exploding.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »

Yes... those spinning rods are tough. We use 4-8 rods almost exclusively, and I don't have a single video, even with Chinook, of a fight going more than 4 minutes for fish up to 25 pounds. If you know how to fight fish, those smaller rods actually do a better job of landing fish - it seems to tire them out faster due to the rod absorbing so much of the headshakes/runs, etc.

I have tried a lot of reels, and I've pretty much settled on the Penn's. They are fairly inexpensive, and come in the sizes I like. Another bonus is they handle salt water no problems at all. My favourite is the Penn Fierce. The 2000 size balances the rods we use perfectly. Biggest I would go is a 3000. I've tried some higher end reels like Shimano's as well, and honestly, the Penn's are just as nice (maybe not as smooth - or light if comparing same sizes) and $200 cheaper.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »

I did check it out this morning looking for late fish on the fly.  It seems pretty donesville on the lower river at least.  Walked a lot, cast a bit, saw maybe 6 zombie chum, nothing else.