Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quinsam River, December 3rd 2014  (Read 3548 times)

islanddude

Quinsam River, December 3rd 2014
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »

Fished a couple of hrs. The river was still high though had come down since a couple of days ago. Landed one cutthroat and two rainbows.
 Steelhead society from Courtenay want to start a hatchery program on the Quinsam in the near future.  All the goverment branches as far as I have heard will be on board except of course with the monies to fund it.
 Most of the river flows through ''Timberworst'' I mean TimberWest's private owned land. They have been over havesting in the watershed for the last 5yrs. The river is now more then ever prone to flooding and being dirty on almost every rain event

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Quinsam River, December 3rd 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »

Your last sentence makes me wonder if this would be a wise expenditure of limited dollars?  don't know the system or it's issues, just asking  :D

Silex-user

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »

Your last sentence makes me wonder if this would be a wise expenditure of limited dollars?  don't know the system or it's issues, just asking  :D

It is small stream and I swear that my drift rod in certain part of river could almost touch the other side (bank)..... ;D Yes there is  Quinsam hatchery and it used to have hatchery steelheads  running in there.

I have not fished there for years, it is too bad about flooding and "being dirty on almost every rain event" :'(

Silex-user

islanddude

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »

The lower river below the hatchery is mostly shallow wide runs. There has been no hatchery steelhead for many years.The steelhead only come in on high water and waste no time in the river below the hatchery.
 The cutthroat fishing used to be good but two yrs. ago they opened it up to a kill fishery on hatchery fish. Good thing they have a bait ban or there would be very few of those left. I did see a guy land a real nice hatchery today that was 3-4 lbs. It was released.
  Be happy you still have a good chance of catching a steelhead on the Vedder. Things don't look good for the island fish in my opinion.

Silex-user

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

The lower river below the hatchery is mostly shallow wide runs. There has been no hatchery steelhead for many years.The steelhead only come in on high water and waste no time in the river below the hatchery.
 The cutthroat fishing used to be good but two yrs. ago they opened it up to a kill fishery on hatchery fish. Good thing they have a bait ban or there would be very few of those left. I did see a guy land a real nice hatchery today that was 3-4 lbs. It was released.
  Be happy you still have a good chance of catching a steelhead on the Vedder. Things don't look good for the island fish in my opinion.

I still think that fishing (steelhead and salmon) is still good over there (Van.Island) I was there last week for Business meeting and on Friday I was fishing the Cowichan river and actually caught 6 coho, 1 chum and boot spring in high coloured water.  ;D

I planned to move over to Langford when I retired, so my wife and I be closer to our adult children and future grandkids :D

Silex-user

islanddude

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »

Raining hard here this evening. The river has been on the rise all day. A couple of cutthroats and heard of one small steelhead about 5-7 lbs. I did catch a bright 5 lb. male pink salmon today which was a total surprise. It looked like it was just out of the ocean,
 Hooked into a nice steelhead yesterday around 15 lbs. It was a crazy fish that bolted up through the rapids into the next run, jumped out of the water three times and threw the hook.
 Good thing there is little to no snow on the mountains or the east island rivers would be in big trouble. Calling for up to 200mm of rain on the west coast though.
 Talked to one of the hatchery staff and was informed that some one wants to log the alder in and around their water reservoir that they mix with the Quinsam water for the hatchery. Who ever it is may have the ear of forestry. For a few sticks of furniture they would destroy a watershed. Sounds about right for this day and age.