Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside, January 19th 2015  (Read 2676 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Ambleside, January 19th 2015
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »

We took advantage of yesterday's beautiful weather around Ambleside doing a bit of crabbing and fishing. The traps were dropped at 25ft of water and soaked for a few hours. While they came up full, most were just a few millimeters undersized so we only managed to keep a few legal ones for dinner. The bait used was just old salmon parts which had been marinated in Pautzke Bait's Crab and Shrimp Fuel for that extra scent.

While we waited for the traps to soak, we did a bit of bottom fishing nearby and caught a variety of species, including dogfish, starry flounder, sculpin but didn't manage to hook an English sole. The bait used were squid, prawn and herring pieces.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Ambleside, January 19th 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »

Thanks for the report, Rod. Did you see any actions for winter Chinooks?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »

We were the only boat out there yesterday. There were a couple of boats on the other side (English Bay etc). We saw one fish surfacing when we were almost approaching Ambleside launch on the way back.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »

Poor guy, looks like he got a hook in the eye. Otherwise sounds like a nice day out. :)

Any tips for winter fishing for flounder/soul in the local waters. I fish from shore and usually use worms (or sometimes shrimp), but in the colder months it's a real challenge. I presume the fish are at a greater depth?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

Poor guy, looks like he got a hook in the eye. Otherwise sounds like a nice day out. :)

Any tips for winter fishing for flounder/soul in the local waters. I fish from shore and usually use worms (or sometimes shrimp), but in the colder months it's a real challenge. I presume the fish are at a greater depth?

The fish looked like a popeye because it got bonked a few times and was dinner last night… ;D

Squid and prawn both worked pretty well yesterday. we were not fishing in very deep water actually, 25 to 30 feet was the depth.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 05:01:50 PM »

The fish looked like a popeye because it got bonked a few times and was dinner last night

Ah. Sounds good.  8)