Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 28th 2015  (Read 2502 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 28th 2015
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »

Welcome to the Journal, on Fishing with Rod, your top fishing web site in the world for fishing information, tips, videos, tall tails and much more.

Gosh it seems a long time since I have typed those words; it appears I am getting lazy in my seventy plus years. It seems I am not alone as very few anglers it seems to me write about their fishing adventures on this site like they once did. It is environmental issues that are the hot button these days. Also very few post water conditions which amazes me as soon as it is posted large numbers are viewing the post. Maybe they donot want others to flood the river when they hear conditions are good, but these days the river will be crowded no matter what as it is the way it is now with the growing population, more people retiring earlier and social media the way it is. I really donot worry about it anymore, just get out and enjoy the fishing experience and the excellent weather we are having this season.

I was reading one of Haig Brown’s books last night and what he said is so true, there is a lot more to fishing than just catching; enjoy all that surrounds our wonderful river systems. We, some time need to remind ourselves of what this renowned author says in all his famous books.

My year has not been stellar as on 9 trips only 2 hooked, one lost and one broken off. All but one trip has been an afternoon outing when the runs have been well fished my excuse for the lack of success.

Today was the second morning in a row I wanted to be on the river at first light. A coffee of course was first on the agenda from 6:30 to 7:00; I drive to the river and then tie up 4 roe bags before I begin the hike down to the “Hot Spot”. What a pleasant morning as the sky begins to brighten over Mount Cheam, numerous Great Blue Herons are trying to catch their breakfast in a pasture area, most likely moles or some unwary mouse. These giant birds soon will be repairing and guarding their nests at their rookery at the Nature Reserve, one of the biggest colonies in the Lower Mainland.

As I reach the area I see I am not first to arrive, 2 early birds are working 2 of the 3 runs. I slip over the bank, wade a side stream that looks fishy too in the higher than normal water levels after last weekend’s down pour. I pass up the temptation to try a few casts and move to a vacant run, boy it looks good as does my freshly tied roe bag and a wisp of wool as an added attractor.

I work the run up and down a couple of times until the angler below leaves the next run. I knew a chap lost one there yesterday but both runs appear to be void of a biting piece of chrome today.
I decide to try the side stream I spoke about earlier; I know the entrance is deep enough to welcome a, Iron, especially under the cover of darkness. The other angler is fishing the side stream as it enters the main part of the flow, a couple of hundred feet below me.

Not sure how many casts I had made, not many. As I am reeling in I feel the tug of a fish, a head shake and the fish is gone, I am so surprised I did not even set the hook. Next cast Maple Leaf Drennan down again, I am ready and strike to no avail. Roe bag still intake. Next cast down again, this time I make contact for a few seconds before it is gone again, wow what gives? Check the hook, seems sharp. Another cast float again is out of sight, good strike no resistance, darn.  A couple of casts more, nothing, have I blown it? No as I cast again the fish is on again, I think, aw I have you now as it takes line and breaks the surface of the slow moving current nice swirl, always exciting to see the flash of silver. The angler below sees the action. Maybe it’s on 30 seconds before I feel the sinking feeling in my stomach, slack line. As I dejectedly reel in I see the roe bag is badly torn, of course it is after all the action it has seen.

I fumble for a new roe bag and it is a used one from yesterday, put it on anyway, the far from a nice roe bag but it seems to make no different to the hungry steelhead or steelheads in this run, as the first cast sees another chance, again futile, long time I have had so many takes in the same run.

A couple of casts later I finally am into the fish again, I have set the hook hard this time. Well I have passed the 30 second mark, things looking good so far. The angler below moves up for a boo of the action. As I get the very bright steelhead close to shore, we have a nice landing spot, I see it is a clipped fish, a doe too. If I land it, it will be coming home I say to myself. I carefully play it, not rushing it, although one can be tempted at times to do so, experience says not to.

A few more short runs and the fish is ready to find land, it looks in the 12 pound range, and I admire the beauty of it. I cannot help but wonder if this was just a suicidal fish or was there a few stacked in this side stream, one will never know of course. I am happy to have my first of the year but I have to admit, I was lucky to say the least, very lucky.

As I am in the Wally Hall Junior derby I make my way to Fred’s. Brian reads the scale and announces “just under 12.5, the first brought in today.” It’s not a derby leader of course but I donot care as we have fresh fish for supper.
Donot forget the side streams that is my tip of the day, will there be more there tomorrow, maybe but I donot expect to have as much action as I had today, of course one never knows, that is what makes fishing what it is to many of us steelhead anglers......
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:59:13 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 28th 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »

Good to read the Journal once again.

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:41:52 PM »

Nice read, thanks for posting!

capman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »

Very nice read. Thank you!

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »

awesome read.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »

That was just like a good desert after my dinner.
Thanks Chris. :)

PS Change your brand of hooks. ;D

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

Wow, I love the multiple hook ups in the one spots! Two is far from uncommon, but four hook ups over 7-8 takes, awesome.

riptide

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »

Thanks for the great story and report , it seems as though a full belly of steelhead gave you lots of added inspiration to write . We have heard the phrase " a picture is worth a thousand words " many times , but you just proved a thousand words can almost make a video . Thanks again
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »

Thanks Chris.It's really early and I'm trying to shake off the cobwebs for the drive from North Van to Chilltown and toss my line in the water. The motivation is needed.
http://