Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quinsam River, January 7th 2015  (Read 1989 times)

islanddude

Quinsam River, January 7th 2015
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

Jan. 07/15.
    Last week made a few different colored worms. Went on Quinsam today and tested them. Was into 6 cutthroats. Nothing big, only one was a wild one. Lost a steelhead smolt about 12''. Poor yr. for steelhead.
   Had my license check by a conservation officer. First time in 20 yrs. Good to see them out. Nice guy. We had quite a conversation for he grew up in Campbell River  and was recently transferred back to his home town.
   Going to fish the Oyster tomorrow. There is a cutthroat program on that river. Use to be a January return of steelhead but I won't hold my breath. Tight lines.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Quinsam River, January 7th 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:34:49 PM »

Great reports id; keep em' up  :)  It's interesting to compare Island fishing reports to what's happening on my river, the C-V

islanddude

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »

Went over the Oyster on Tues. on the way to Courtenay it was medium to high.
  Today Thursday it was still to high to cross over. The river in the bottom end has been devastated by the last flood. Blew right through a log jam and now is a straight shallow  channel  for quite a ways.
 Walked up river to the first good looking piece of water and had a couple bites and lost a nice cutthroat. Walked up to just below the old UBC lands and fished there. Nothing. Walked down river past a few giant cedars felled by the flood. The river to high even up there for safe wading and no fish either.
  Had a pleasant walk though along the river through the cottonwoods and large maples. Patches of fog with the sun peaking through. A very pleasant 3 hrs.
  Hard not to think back on what the river used to look like and how many steelhead I had caught and released or tubed for the brood stock program back in the early eighties. Some real big fish once returned to that river. I'll come back in the middle of March.

speycaster

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »

You should have been on those rivers in the sixties. ;D Now   :-[  :'(

islanddude

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »

Hooked into my first steelhead today. Chromer. Of course it gets off but I did see it. Around 12lbs. A few cutthroats around. River is medium to high. Weather man say lots of rain coming for weekend. May cause the river to flood again for the snow is low on the mountains. Tight lines.