Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a pin rod that's easy on the wallet  (Read 2834 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Looking for a pin rod that's easy on the wallet
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »

On the search for a decent yet not expensive pin rod. With my boys getting older they will be joining me more and more which means less time with a fly rod and more with gear (kids want action, lots of it) so I decided to grab another pin reel and now looking for a rod. I've been eyeballing a couple at the store however I like buying used stuff (used can usually get better for less)

I want a rod that's light/medium - medium in action and 11' or longer. Primary targets will be coho and steelhead however chinook and chum are an expected bycatch so the rod needs to be able bring these in as well.

One rod I have my eyes on is the 11'6" Amundson pin rod at Army and Navy. Anyone use this rod and how is it ?

Thanks everyone  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Walleye76

Re: Looking for a pin rod that's easy on the wallet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »

I know u said u wanted 11' or longer but I have a shimano convergence, medium action 10'6" if your interested.

losos

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »

I have Amundson 2116  and definitely wouldn't dream of hooking chinook on it .It simply doesn't have enough backbone. For steelhead and coho it is nice although never had 16 + lb on it.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »

neighbor has a discontinued Berkeley cherrywood 10ft 4-12lb line that could easily handle a chum/chinook.hes asking 50$

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »

If James does not ask about the Berkeley Cherrywood then I would love to see some pics and a location of where the rod is. Would love to pick up a back up. You can email me at gteboek1@telus.net  .

Thanks
 Geff

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »

If James does not ask about the Berkeley Cherrywood then I would love to see some pics and a location of where the rod is. Would love to pick up a back up. You can email me at gteboek1@telus.net  .

Thanks
 Geff

Go for it Geff. I want something longer than 10' that's for sure

Losos - have you not hooked anything big on that rod ?

I took chinook to 35 lbs on my old 2106 and it handled them pretty good, couldn't power horse them in but I landed them quick enough. I don't plan to target chinook on the pin rod, I've got a baitcaster setup for that usage it's just that sometimes you encounter the bigger fish as we all know so it would be nice to have enough rod to handle them without having to break them off.
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »

I know u said u wanted 11' or longer but I have a shimano convergence, medium action 10'6" if your interested.

Is this rod the 10'6" medium 12-20lb slow action mooching rod ?

I was looking at those as well today however I still prefer 11' or longer for pinning

I did take the reel I bought with me "shopping" today and it balanced out that Amundson 2116 very nicely. The pin is going to primarily be my coho/steelhead rod
Check out our new blog

losos

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »

Go for it Geff. I want something longer than 10' that's for sure

Losos - have you not hooked anything big on that rod ?

I took chinook to 35 lbs on my old 2106 and it handled them pretty good, couldn't power horse them in but I landed them quick enough. I don't plan to target chinook on the pin rod, I've got a baitcaster setup for that usage it's just that sometimes you encounter the bigger fish as we all know so it would be nice to have enough rod to handle them without having to break them off.

No, just started pinning this year and not knowing if I'll like it didn't spend much money on my first setup.
 was lucky to acquire brand new rod and reel for $ 200 from craigslist.
I had bigger fish than that just not on amundson.

losos

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

I was looking at those as well today however I still prefer 11' or longer for pinning

I did take the reel I bought with me "shopping" today and it balanced out that Amundson 2116 very nicely. The pin is going to primarily be my coho/steelhead rod
It is surprisingly nice rod imo . it is light so a day of casting won't stress your wrist.
Pulled some coho and steelhead this year and it was fun.

FishingKing

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »

I have a Shimano Technium Medium Heavy rated 15-25lb 10'6 rod, Used 5 or 6 times last season. Selling it only because i just built a Sage rod for my pin. Let me know if you are interested.

losos

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

How difficult is to build rod and what equipment one need. I just started looking into that because I want somenthing truly unique for myself. Are  building tools expensive?
Sorry for sidetracking .

FishingKing

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »

How difficult is to build rod and what equipment one need. I just started looking into that because I want somenthing truly unique for myself. Are  building tools expensive?
Sorry for sidetracking .

Sorry i did not build the rod myself, I had it built at SeaRun Fly and Tackle.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »

It is surprisingly nice rod imo . it is light so a day of casting won't stress your wrist.
Pulled some coho and steelhead this year and it was fun.

I have pinned for several years before but sold them off because I turned more into spey but now with my kids joining me more it'll be gear more and more until or if they decide to grab fly rods  ;)

Looks like I'll be grabbing up that Amundson rod this week. I really appreciate all the rods everyone has offered however I am very set on longer than 11'. I have fished with shorter and prefer longer for pinning and I'm sure I'll end up looking for something higher end down the road

Again thanks everyone  :)
Check out our new blog

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »

I have that Amundson Rod from Army and Navy. It's my first pin rod so take my opinion for what it's worth, but it seems to be a well constructed rod. Blank and cork looks very nice actually. It also has an uplocking reel seat, which I believe the convergence doesn't (my buddy didn't like that and bought the Amundson, how I heard about it).

I hooked into a few (well 4) steelhead this winter, and lost 3 of them at my feet. The hook just pulled out when I was looking for the adipose. And I normally never lose fish on jigs on my levelwind rod. My levelwind is fast action but has a real nice bend to it when under severe pressure. The Amundson felt noticeably stiffer, like it didn't ameliorate much shock.

Very very good chance it could be operator error. My first 11'6 foot rod, first season pinning, and it's a moderate action rod which I've never used before. For $100 bucks though, you can't lose.   

BTW my buddy hauled in quite a few chum with it and had no problems.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:31:27 PM by Animal Chin »

Walleye76

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »

Yes it's medium slow 10'6"