Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Affordable long general-purpose rod  (Read 9042 times)

KarateKick

Affordable long general-purpose rod
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »

I just saw a Canadian Tire flyer with an Abu Garcia Bruiser BRS92 spinning combo for $38.49 (30% off $54.99).  It's a medium-heavy 9-foot rod with a salt water 4-bearing reel.

The price for this combo seems a lot lower than any other 9-foot combo I've seen.  Usually the rod alone would cost more.  How do you tell whether or not it's a good quality rod?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:25:16 PM by KarateKick »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Abu Garcia Bruiser 9-foot Combo
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »

The reviews on Amazon don't look too good - cheap reel (handle broke for one person), spooled with poor quality line, and other complaints about the rod as well - check out the online reviews.  It does look like you get what you paid for with this one.  I might buy it if I had to buy a cheap rod while on vacation, but then I would leave it behind in the condo we rented for the next guest to enjoy it (I did just that with a cheap setup in Hawaii - can you believe you don't need a fishing license in Hawaii?).

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »

That combo is also over kill for Pinks and Coho's and way too heavy for stocked trout or coarse fish.  If you're using it to fish with spoons, spinners, it will be a bit tiring to repeated cast and retrieve it.  What are your intended species?

VA7DDP

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »

I just saw a Canadian Tire flyer with an Abu Garcia Bruiser BRS92 spinning combo for $38.49 (30% off $54.99).  It's a medium-heavy 9-foot rod with a salt water 4-bearing reel.

The price for this combo seems a lot lower than any other 9-foot combo I've seen.  Usually the rod alone would cost more.  How do you tell whether or not it's a good quality rod?

What will you be using the rod for?

If you are planning to fish for Pink Salmon this year I would reccomend getting a Medium or Medium Light.

If you are planning to cast spoons, a rod in the 7 to 8ft range will suffice.
On the other hand if you are planning to try Drift Fishing (Bobber Fishing) an longer rod would be optimal.

What I would usually recommend as a Start-Up Combo for Pink Fishing would be a Daiwa D-Shock Combo, its 7ft in length and is of a medium weight. Most tackle shops will carry this for under $35. http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Daiwa-D-Shock-7-Spinning-Combo_p_15936.html

KarateKick

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »

Thanks guys.  I'm trying to learn as much as possible because my kid keeps telling me about rods on sale, but I am extremely confused by all the different types.  (I checked the web site of one local store and they had 18 categories!)  I may buy him a new rod if we find a good bargain, but neither of us has any idea how to choose a good general-purpose rod.

Rodney's "Beach Fishing for Pacific Salmon" article says a length of 9 to 10 feet would give you the casting distance needed to reach the fish.  Casting distance is definitely one of my kid's biggest weaknesses.  On the other hand, if the rod is heavy and he can't swing it fast, then it probably won't help.  Is there any rod that is long and light and cheap?

doja

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »

Kuffa has some rods that look decent...  10' and nice and light.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »

Rodney's "Beach Fishing for Pacific Salmon" article says a length of 9 to 10 feet would give you the casting distance needed to reach the fish.  Casting distance is definitely one of my kid's biggest weaknesses.  On the other hand, if the rod is heavy and he can't swing it fast, then it probably won't help.  Is there any rod that is long and light and cheap?

You can go to Berry's Bait and Tackle Father's day sale and pick up a free trout rod for your kid and have him try out the trout pond and see how many he can catch and take home. I'm sure somebody there can help you if you see any other rods that you might like. Disclosure, I don't work a Berry's, but I am a customer. 

Daguru

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »

Take a looks at the shimano clairus they are fairly light and can handle most fish exept bigger springs and chum

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »

VA7DDP, thanks for the Daiwa suggestion.  You are so right about the D-Shock combo.

Daguru, thanks for the Shimano suggestion.

When I look at the Shimano web site (http://fish.shimano.com), I see these categories:

Freshwater Rods
        Saltwater Rods
        Surf Rods
        Muskie Rods
        Jigging Rods
        Inshore Rods
        Trolling Rods
        Salmon & Steelhead Rods

Which ones are most suitable as general purpose, mostly casting spoons and spinners at beaches, rivers and lakes?

VA7DDP

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:28:32 PM »

I just finished my Shimano Certification last week  ;D

If you are looking for a "All Around" rod for both, Trout & Smaller Salmon these would be my recommendations.

Entry Level: Shimano FX Series (FXS70MB2 - Medium Power, Fast Action; 7ft)

Mid-Level: Shimano Convergence (CVS96M2B - Medium Power, Fast Action; 9ft6in)

Higher-End: Shimano Clarus (CSS100M2B - Medium Power, Fast Action; 10ft)

Unfortunately Shimano does not have a Entry-Level Rod that is Long with a Lighter Action.

If you are looking for a long rod, on a budget I would recommend something from the "Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2" Line-up (I think they go up to 9ft).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:33:22 PM by VA7DDP »

KarateKick

Re: Affordable long all-around rod
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »

VA7DDP, that is great information.  Thank you so much for spending the time to type it up.

Since you've also mentioned the Daiwa brand, I've looked at some models online.  What do you think of the Wilderness WLDR 902MR?  It's medium power regular action 9' fiberglass rod with an entry-level price tag.  It's not as light as a graphite rod but I'm hoping that "medium power" (as opposed to "medium heavy") means it won't weight a ton.

VA7DDP

Re: Affordable long general-purpose rod
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »

Berrys Bait & Tackle on Westminister Highway is doing an Fathers Day Sale.

They are giving you a 9ft Daiwa Wilderness Rod for $17.99 (When you trade-in a broken rod); they aren't bad start-up rods but are a bit on the heavy side (Physical Weight of Product), and on the stiffer side.

http://www.berrysbait.com/files/Berrys_JUNE_SALE_2015.pdf

----
If you are looking for a Lighter Graphite Rod; we carry a new lineup this year from Shakespeare (Owned by the Parent of Abu Garcia); the Shakespeare Wild Series, we carry a 9ft Medium-Light for around $40.

losos

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:57 AM »

How do you tell whether or not it's a good quality rod?"

It cost $ 59 and is sold in Canadian Tire.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »

How do you tell whether or not it's a good quality rod?"

It cost $ 59 and is sold in Canadian Tire.

Was at CT last week and noticed they are carrying high end rods now, Lamiglass for one.
Take the T out of Morton.

losos

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »

For $59? Highly doubt they have high end lamiglas rods ( not all of them could be counted as high end stuff)