Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salsbury Steak Report  (Read 2061 times)

TheFishingLad

Salsbury Steak Report
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

Salsbury Lake? Mmmmm steak... Anyway, I'm actually posting this because the chances of those that are able to read this having a 4x4 capable, and one they don't like the paint on will be very few.

I recently finished my 4x4 project that I bought for $300. It's a 1998 Mazda B4000, and needed work. But this being a fishing site, I left Langley at 5am and headed for Salsbury Lake, knowing that the bridge in was deactivated. I just wasn't sure how bad it was. Turned out to be maybe a 10' drop on a steep incline, with some bigger rocks in the way with a creek at the bottom with more rocks, and a log at the base of the hill going up. With some help of my trusty pickaxe I made it through. The rest of the road requires some clearance but pretty easy.

When I arrived the water was calm and the clouds were not, but I unpacked my kayak and bushwhacked through the hordes of Mosquitos, only now realizing that I forgot my little 12v Milwaukee battery for my fish finder. But nevertheless fish were rising so I threw on a pink/red spratley, and some super special shiny metal on my light spinning rod and began trolling away looking for places to set up and cast. Caught a few small ones trolling with both rods, I hid from the rain for awhile, and set up for some deep bottom fishing in hopes the Kokanee were there.

To keep it short, as I lost my train of though the fish were not very big, however I DID manage to catch a little Kokanee! On a chartreuse fluffy thing. I'm not sure of it was an adult or not, but didn't see much of size jumping.

I hope to go back with my fish finder and might actually be able to find a school of Kokanee, and hopefully show myself there are bigger ones to be had.

sbc hris

Re: Salsbury Steak Report
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »

Thanks for the report, I haven't been in a few years. The last time I was there, all I caught were small fish as well. And no kokanee that time.

TheFishingLad

Re: Salsbury Steak Report
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »

Was back up there a few days ago, found a spot off the main FSR where you could pull a boat through to the lake. Maybe 200m of part muck and trail.  Caught one roughly 1lb, in the shallows. Still nothing big to be seen