Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside, 6 June 2015  (Read 4740 times)

TimL

Ambleside, 6 June 2015
« on: June 06, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »

Spent a few hours (6:45-9:30 am) this morning bottom fishing off the pier during the high tide. I originally planned to fish at another location in the West Vancouver area but arrived to find that fishing was not allowed there. Given that I drove all this way from Coquitlam, I decided to try my luck bottom fishing off Ambleside pier. I have not fished there since June of last year so not too sure what to expect. There were already quite a few crabbers early this morning (6:45-7 am). It was a good thing I brought 2 rods with me- the longer 9 ft rod, I cast it from the far end of the pier with a heavy sinker and still-fished, the shorter 6'6" rod, I equipped with a lighter set up and fished in shallower water close to the rocks and pilings. The species I was hoping to get was the pile perch, a fish that I have not seen in a long time (10+ years). After a few casts, my wish was granted- nabbed an 11 inch pile perch not far from the pier:

The short rod got most of the action today, with a second (larger) pile perch landed, along with 2 greenlings. The longer, still-fishing rod nabbed only 1 greenling and a small rock sole (accompanied by a crab!). Other fish that were caught and released included several bullheads, sanddabs, and a snake prickleback.
Overall catch of the day:

I'm planning to start beach fishing for coho in a few weeks...can hardly wait!

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Ambleside, 6 June 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »

Do you eat those  :o
see ya on the river

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »

Nice perch and thanks for the report.

Today I decided to take my son out for a bit of fun, we headed to a park in west Vancouver that I had read was a good spot for perch and bullheads. Fished a half hour caught a few small perch and a couple flounder, upon leaving the park I notice a no fishing sign! I checked the website for the park and the regs before leaving our house but it appears I was breaking the law.  It's a real shame that a coastal community such as west Vancouver has so little access for fisherman or boaters . With all that shoreline you would think there would be a few more piers and places for people to wet a line or launch a boat.

RyanB

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »

Today I decided to take my son out for a bit of fun, we headed to a park in west Vancouver that I had read was a good spot for perch and bullheads. Fished a half hour caught a few small perch and a couple flounder, upon leaving the park I notice a no fishing sign! I checked the website for the park and the regs before leaving our house but it appears I was breaking the law.  It's a real shame that a coastal community such as west Vancouver has so little access for fisherman or boaters . With all that shoreline you would think there would be a few more piers and places for people to wet a line or launch a boat.

Vancouver and surrounding areas are now full of people who live a carefully constructed lifestyle.  It's about buying the right things and engaging in the right activities. 

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

TimL

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

Blame it on the greenies who live there!  ;) All kidding aside, lucky, I had that same issue with the cryptic bylaws there on Saturday. Tried to find the fishing bylaws all over the web for the park that I was planning to go to (and I couldn't find any), only to find on arrival at the place that there were 'no fishing' signs everywhere. Too bad though, it looked like a promising spot for the large perch and greenlings that I was mainly after.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »

Anybody tried fishing for Coho at the Mouth yet?  I'm trying to decided whether to do that or go to one of the stocked lakes this weekend.  Too bad the Cap River Level is so low again this year.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »

TimL

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »

Anybody tried fishing for Coho at the Mouth yet?  I'm trying to decided whether to do that or go to one of the stocked lakes this weekend.  Too bad the Cap River Level is so low again this year.
I'm thinking in a couple of weeks..if the tide tables are right, there are a few days during that period with decent early morning lows.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »

I'm thinking in a couple of weeks..if the tide tables are right, there are a few days during that period with decent early morning lows.
I think you're right. I'll probably head for Rice Lake for a couple of hours and do then some exploring in the Cap Canyon.