Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa/Leighton June 4 - 7  (Read 2335 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Tunkwa/Leighton June 4 - 7
« on: June 13, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »

Last week I hit Tunkwa/Leighton Lake.  We arrived Thursday and were on the water by noon.  It has recently rained, and the weather was going to be clearing over the next few days.  I was hoping the fishing would heat up on the chironomids!

We started off on Leighton, and picked up a handful of fish with leeches and pumpkinheads.  Stomach pump analysis revealed fish were feeding on plankton (water fleas) with the odd chironomid in the mix.  I decided to try matching the chironmids that we found, which were small olive/brown with red butts.  After no success, I switched to a more general pattern (black with silver rib, size 12) and was into fish.  Seemed pretty typical - as the fish were not quite switched on to a specific hatch.  Rather, they seemed to be taking my larger chironomid in an opportunistic feeding pattern.  The fishing was not red hot, but I did hook quite a few fish.

On Friday morning we hit Tunkwa and again caught a handful of fish just trolling flies.  After finding a nice area to set-up, I switched to chironomids.   Unfortunately, the fishing was a bit slow with just the odd person hooking a fish here and there.  I did land a couple of nice fish.  One was one a "collaborator", the other on a "green hornet".  After lunch we decided to return to Leighton to see if the action had picked up there.  We found it to be similar, with fish taking the same black chironomid I used the previous day.  My buddy was having some success with trolling a pumpkinhead.  After losing a 20 inch trout at his net, he proceeded to land two 18 inch fish in a row just trolling.

As evening approached, I decided to fish a chironomid in the deep area just off the rock bluff.  I was fishing 15 feet deep and my indicator went down and an 18 inch rainbow came to the net.  Just as I was releasing the fish, my buddy hooked yet another fish on a pumpinhead.  As he was tending to the fish, his rod slipped over the side of his tube!  That pretty much ended the day as we hit the road to try and find him another rod/reel.  The only place we could find (that was open late) was the Walmart in Merritt.  He decided to pickup a cheap rod/reel combo and I set it up for him so he would have both a floating line and sinking line set-up.

On Saturday, we again hit Tunkwa in the morning.  I managed to land two beautiful fish on a leech and pumpkinhead.  However, the chironomid fishing remained slow so we decided to move over the Leighton.  It was here where I managed to "dial in".  After trying many chironomid patterns without success, I finally went to a "green hornet" and had great success in the late afternoon and into the evening.  Soon it was approaching dark, and it was time to reel in and start dreaming about my next fishing trip.

Overall, the fishing was good, but not "on fire".  Below are some photos for the members to enjoy...

First Fish on a Chironomid

A quick shot before the release (don't mind the thumb print)

This beauty was fooled by a Pumkinhead

Fish measurement

Quite a few dark fish in Leighton

Green Hornets were the ticket!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:41:32 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Tunkwa/Leighton June 4 - 7
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »

Tunkwa use to be our back up blackwater brood lake, in the case that Dragon Lake had a bad year and didn't produce the fish we needed. It turns out Tunkwa was not a very good fit for blackwater's, as they are down stream spawners and like to go out of outlets. In this case, they went down stream and into Leighton. Tunkwa is now a Pennask rainbow broodstock lake after the blackwaters failed.

The reason you would be seeing so many dark fish in Leighton, is that they would be 2N blackwater's that we use to stock into Tunkwa for brood, that went downstream to Leighton. Those fish would be spawning or recovering now (most likely recovering).

Nice report and pictures!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »

Thanks Every Day.  Very interesting info on the Blackwater strain at Tunkwa/Leighton.  Yes, the outlet and waterfall between the two lakes was pretty crammed with dark fish.  Quite a few fish I landed appeared to be kelts, and this was all over the lake - not just in proximity to the fishing boundary near the waterfall.  Personally, I love the Pennask strain - beautiful torpedo-like shaped fish and lots of jumpers.   :)

banx

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:38:53 AM »

great report.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »

Thanks very much for the great report. I'm hoping to get a trip up there and surrounding area next year.

... After trying many chironomid patterns without success, I finally went to a "green hornet" and had great success in the late afternoon and into the evening.

Did you also stomach pump any of these fish to see if your successful pattern happened to match what they were keyed in on or was it likely still more opportunistic feeding?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »

Hey banx - good to hear from you.  Hope all is well... :)

DanL - yes I did a stomach/throat pump analysis on these fish as well.  There weren't a ton of chironomids - just a handful with a bunch of water fleas (daphnia) in lots of the fish I caught.  The chironomids that I did observe did not look anything like my "green hornet", and in fact - I had tried patterns that matched them previously without success.  So I agree that the fish were taking the "green hornet" opportunistically.  I found that after just letting the fly sit for a minute or two, the fish would take right after I gave the line a "twitch".

Recalling this makes me want to be out there right now!!!  Tight lines all...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

Thanks for the info. After reading about chironomid fishing for years I am determined to try it out next spring and learn something new.

Currently just trying to absorb as much info as possible and noting reports like this for future reference.