Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sooke shore-fishing, mid-July  (Read 2938 times)

rheticus

Sooke shore-fishing, mid-July
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »

Living part-time on Vancouver Island, I'm trying to scout new spots for shore-fishing. I read somewhere that you can fish from the rocks at various places between Pedder Bay and Otter Point. I'd also heard that the pinks this year are plentiful and in early. So this morning I gave it a try. I fished my trusty pink buzzbomb from an hour before low tide (8:15 a.m.)  until an hour after. Nothing. "Skunked again," I thought. Nor did I see many boats bringing in fish. But about 9:30 I figured I'd snagged a piece of kelp and gave my rod a good tug to release the hook -- but found instead that I'd set the hook on a good sized pink that fought like crazy, though it did end up in my net. Over the next hour and a half I had hits almost every second cast. Two fish released themselves ten feet in front of me. One was small and I released him. One wound himself around a piece of kelp almost at my feet and I had to break my line. But by just after 11 a.m. I had landed my limit of four 4-6 lb. pinks -- all male, all nice and bright, none with any noticeable hump.
Oh, and just before I got back to my car, two DFO wardens were there checking licences and (in some detail) the catch. Phew. No prison for me this time!
It was an absolutely fabulous morning, complete with visits by not only the DFO lady but also a harbour seal and a stellar sea lion.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Sooke shore-fishing, mid-July
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »

Sounds like a great time.

It seems funny that a lot of the Fraser pinks go around the south end of the island instead of going down the inside.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Sooke shore-fishing, mid-July
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

Lots heading into Puget Sound rivers like the Skagit as well as the Fraser.  They might tend to come down the outside.