Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrard Pinks  (Read 3451 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Burrard Pinks
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »

Been fishing the Burrard Inlet last few days.  A big school of fish came through on Sunday.  The entrance to Indian Arm was hopping.  I saw a half dozen guys shore fishing at Cates Park but only saw one fish caught there.  The majority of the fish were staying out in the middle of the inlet. Here is one of a dozen or more I caught on Sunday:

I took my boy out the next day, hoping to share the experience, however, the fishing was markedly less productive.  Took me an hour to get my first one, and a couple more hours of boating from Deep Cove to the Seymour mouth before he got his first:

I went back there today, and again there were very few fish showing around Cates, just the odd jumper, so I decided to head up the arm.  I saw very few fish on my way up the arm, the only ones being in the large RCAs where no fishing is allowed (too bad so many people fishing Indian Arm are unaware of these large areas closed to all fishing as I had to stop to inform numerous boats that they were in a closed area).  I reached the head of the arm to find huge schools out in front of the Wigwam Inn.  There were also quite s few seals, although not nearly as many as I have seen there in past years, so I imagine it will get worse.  I took advantage and proceeded to hook into dozens of fresh fiesty pinks, although I would say fewer than 1:10 were interest in chasing flies.  There was a family staying at the Inn and their kids were fishing off the dock but were not having much luck.  I pulled into the dock and gave the eldest boy one of my son's 1/8 pink crocs.  He proceeded to hook a few pinks but lost all of them before they got to the net.  I went back in and gave him some pointers on how to play the fish and he proceeded to hook another one that was successfully landed.  He was quite thrilled at having caught his first salmon.  Another generation hooked on fishing.
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Burrard Pinks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »

Sounds super! Good on you and it's clear you had a few great trips. I've checked Cates Park out on a couple occasions but it seems the pinks are well off shore for the most part. Looks like the Indian River run will be excellent this year. Those fish look bigger than ones I've taken in Howe Sound.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »

Sounds super! Good on you and it's clear you had a few great trips. I've checked Cates Park out on a couple occasions but it seems the pinks are well off shore for the most part. Looks like the Indian River run will be excellent this year. Those fish look bigger than ones I've taken in Howe Sound.

Maybe, I had a few nice ones that were over 5 pounds, but most were in the neighbourhood of the ones I was getting off Furry Creek:

Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »

While playing in the BC Senior Games in North Vancouver, enjoying watching the activity at the Cap last night. Lots of pinks jumping on the flood tide. Shot some vid and will tonight too, a nice scenic place to fish, especially in the early AM with the lighted First Narrow Bridge in the background and cruise ships going by.

lapa

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

While playing in the BC Senior Games in North Vancouver, enjoying watching the activity at the Cap last night. Lots of pinks jumping on the flood tide. Shot some vid and will tonight too, a nice scenic place to fish, especially in the early AM with the lighted First Narrow Bridge in the background and cruise ships going by.
... And you will see 100+ people next to you  ;D ;D

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »

I was floored to see how many people were out the other day.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »

Yeah I have rented a security guard to stake out my rock.

Thanks Sandman for a great report and taking the time to help those kids out.