Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peg Leg  (Read 24642 times)

wallygator24

Re: Peg Leg
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »

I noticed that some of the sockeye that were being caught  and released were showing signs of diseases associated with the warmer water.  I noticed diseased fish in the Columbia River when I was fishing last week.  They were having problems with sturgeon dying on the columbia river.  State biologists were looking at diseased sockeye as the main culprit, which was what the sturgeon were eating.    Good thing I went out this morning and got one day of Bar fishing in.  Look on the bright side, you can still bar fish for steelhead  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:42:09 PM by wallygator24 »

76t7

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

I live in a townhouse complex in Langley. Because people here know that I fish I have been asked by several people here to fillet sockeye for them
Sometimes 4 sometimes many more.
when I ask where they got the fish all they would say was that they were bought locally for $15 per fish.
must be bottom bouncers selling their catch, I can't think of where else they would be getting them, now multiply this by probably hundreds or even thousands of law abiding people all over Vancouver and its no wonder that our fish stocks are decreasing.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »

I live in a townhouse complex in Langley. Because people here know that I fish I have been asked by several people here to fillet sockeye for them
Sometimes 4 sometimes many more.
when I ask where they got the fish all they would say was that they were bought locally for $15 per fish.
must be bottom bouncers selling their catch, I can't think of where else they would be getting them, now multiply this by probably hundreds or even thousands of law abiding people all over Vancouver and its no wonder that our fish stocks are decreasing.

They are native fish, not BB fish.

76t7

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »

I guess they were when then were caught but now they are in a bunch of freezers instead of swimming upstream to spawn, but if what you say is true and they are native fish I guess that makes it ok.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »

I guess they were when then were caught but now they are in a bunch of freezers instead of swimming upstream to spawn, but if what you say is true and they are native fish I guess that makes it ok.
He means they are caught by natives and not bb`ers

PaulyD

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »

You can always tell a 'native' caught fish by the price , a bb'er would have to charge a hell of alot more for it to be worth it ..

nosey

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 06:06:41 AM »

You can always tell a native caught fish by the net marks, I'm sure he would of noticed them when he was filleting them.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »

It would be great if people stopped buying fish from people who sell them illegally.

People often only complain about the sellers but it's both the buyers and the sellers causing the issue. I'm new to these forums but already I've seen far more complaints about First Nations sellers then people like 76t7's neighbours. Funny thing is, they're both part of the problem of illegal fish sales ;)

mikeyman

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »

Get caught buying them face a fine while the one selling walks away free to net another day.

PaulyD

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

Correct me if im wrong but aren't natives allowed to sell they're catch?? They call it an economic opportunity I believe. I remember last year they had roadside stands for legitimate sockeye sales. Ive never heard of any sporties selling fish we simply dont get enough for it to be lucrative , gill net vs. single barbless hook not to mention the cost of gas , gear , license etc...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »

Correct me if im wrong but aren't natives allowed to sell they're catch?? They call it an economic opportunity I believe. I remember last year they had roadside stands for legitimate sockeye sales. Ive never heard of any sporties selling fish we simply dont get enough for it to be lucrative , gill net vs. single barbless hook not to mention the cost of gas , gear , license etc...

That's correct, if the fish are caught in economic opportunity openings. Legally, fish caught in communal openings like now, cannot be commercially sold.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »

Alberni Sockeye typically show up in the Lower Mainland in July and into August. There's a local commercial fisher who does this and he's been charging $5 a lb for dressed fish. During the big runs such as last year and 2010 it was possible to buy fish $10 to $15 each off commercial boats at various docks in Steveston and up the river.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

PaulyD

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

I understand that legally they aren't supposed to sell during a communal opening but i dont believe that they actually do abide by this rule , im not saying all the native groups are doing this but every year its not hard to find a 15 dollar sockeye from the back of a pickup truck regardless of the type of opening they get .They let them sell fish one time but not another ? It doesnt work that way money is way too powerful to resist im sure of it . This is a whole other issue way off original topic but im just sayin ..

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »

Who's most at fault the HOOKER or the JOHN?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »

Who's most at fault the HOOKER or the JOHN?
Maybe both. Or nobody. Or everyone? Maybe it's the politicians who made the laws, or the country's cultural heritage, or maybe the structure of the government has something to do with it.

Point is, when it comes to issues as complex as resource management (and a resource as in-demand as salmon), the answers are never easy.