Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish R. Aug 10  (Read 2399 times)

ali2pali

Squamish R. Aug 10
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »

Fished the lower Squaw today for about 4 hrs with the incoming tide (afternoon). There were a number of fish moving thru, however visibility is pretty bad (maybe 6"?) which made fishing tough. That said, my friend and I got into a total of 4 fish over the course of our afternoon...just casting spinners.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish R. Aug 10
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »

I was out that day too and I think the visibility had actually improved somewhat from the previous week.  It had improved enough that I managed to land 10 pinks by holding chartreuse flies in the current below me.   I tried little spoons and spinners and, for some reason, those did not work as well as little flies - in that visibility I can honestly say I have no idea why.   (Letting them hang below me and simply waiting for the bite seemed most effective - in that poor visibility I am guessing it gave them plenty of time to see the presentation).

Was out again Wednesday and the fishing had declined somewhat but my nephew and I got into 4 each.

Went again yesterday and it was done.   The vast majority of fish in the river were old boots and, after an hour trying and getting no bites, I decided to pack up and try Furrey Creek just after low tide.   The fishing there was considerably slower than the previous week but I did manage to land one fly fishing - unless there is a significant push of fish over the weekend I would say the pink season in that area is pretty well done.   Surprised at how abruptly it changed.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »

Thats odd... got a report from my neighbor (maybe you saw him, kid with a c-pin) saying he got them almost every cast throughout incoming tide on blades and shiny stuff.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »

Thats odd... got a report from my neighbor (maybe you saw him, kid with a c-pin) saying he got them almost every cast throughout incoming tide on blades and shiny stuff.
I was fishing the Squamish river when the tide was going out so that may well be the reason there were not many fresh fish in the system.  Its just that compared to two days before when I was fishing the river with much the same outgoing tide phase it was significantly better.

Maybe with the rain last night and fishing it during an incoming tide might see some more fresh fish but it seems to me it can't be much longer especially since Furrey Creek seemed so much reduced as well (I was fishing that from a low all the way to about about mid high -  I did considerably better there the previous week on much the same tide phase so I can only conclude it is slowing down).   Who knows, could be more fish on the way but it's done for me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:34:49 PM by fishseeker »