Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Vedder This Evening, August 21, 2015  (Read 2093 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Vedder This Evening, August 21, 2015
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »

Slipped out for the last half hour of the day tonight, so nice to be 5 minutes from making the first cast.

Was armed with shrimp and had trouble keeping a bait on as the clipped steelhead smolts still on their way out to the ocean were hungry.

Landed one about 6 inches long and was easily released, so not to harm any others I folded up the rod and cleaned up some garbage from the river bottom and got $1.10 worth of plucks too.

No pink salmon movement was observed but the tide was going out

Will now give it a rest and get ready for the BC Senior games in North Vancouver, may check out the pink fishery down there, no Tow 'ing there but I am afraid some jigging may be seen. :-X

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: The Vedder This Evening, August 21, 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:10:53 AM »

Thanks for the info Chris, its always helpful.
It ain't the roe bro'

kevzabob

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. So the mouth of the vedder is highly dependent on the tide ?
Looking at the tide tables for new west would make high tide at the mouth
Around 3 plus hrs. For example if it is high tide at new west around noon the high tide on the vedder would be 3 pm. Right.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. So the mouth of the vedder is highly dependent on the tide ?
Looking at the tide tables for new west would make high tide at the mouth
Around 3 plus hrs. For example if it is high tide at new west around noon the high tide on the vedder would be 3 pm. Right.
I like the incoming tide as you know the fish move up with it. When we bar fished at Bowmans over the years the best action seemed to be as soon as the flood tide was on.

Lots of different opinions on the timing of the tide, I think in the 4 to 5 hour range but to be trueful I have never really checked it for an exact time difference, I am sure some on this forum have. Also I believe depending on the flow and how high the Fraser may effect the time. Some say there is tide effect right to Hope but I am not convinced of that.

Also you can check the gauge at Mission and work out a differnce there if you wish

I know on a real high tide it makes 2 to 3 feet difference at Bowmans and people have had their boat drift down river overnight when they are camping as the did not have it anchored or pulled up far enough on the shore.

Also large boats have run a ground on sand bars on dropping tides and then had to wait for the ride to come back in. Have pictures of a couple that have done that.

Hope this helps some.