Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...  (Read 18572 times)

Stewie

Re: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:00:57 PM »

Not good at all.

PaulyD

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »

What i dont get is in one notice they say there is very little TAC at the 6.2 million mark but then the next notice they open the seiners !!! I know they say its only 2 boats but come on im sure they can take alot of fish with just 2 boats . And if they dont harm alot of sockeye then what the whole fleet goes out ??? What a load of b.s. Dfo

Abu

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »

As per the notice "Survival rates of sockeye released in
this fishery are expected to be high"...really?
Pink fishing will be amazing during this fishery as well. SMH.

sg6804

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »

Not to mention the interior coho they may get as well it just shows that they are not really interested in protecting our endangered runs at all

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »

Got a lot of jibber jabber in a number posts recently.
(Actually: always ???)
Election coming up...

Every one wants a piece of the pie!

A commercial opening appeases a few and makes others angry.

Those that don't get to take part in this commercial opening experiment will YELL and SCREAM and be heard.

What will you do?

Opening it up on a forum is a good start but most will expect others to do the work and will complain later because nothing changed.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »

Yikes.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »

Guess there's no point in going tomorrow. :(

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »

What i dont get is in one notice they say there is very little TAC at the 6.2 million mark but then the next notice they open the seiners !!! I know they say its only 2 boats but come on im sure they can take alot of fish with just 2 boats . And if they dont harm alot of sockeye then what the whole fleet goes out ??? What a load of b.s. Dfo

There is a limited TAC (the total Canadian TAC is just 300 000 pinks or less than 5% of the total run size) and the share for this fishery is 1500 per Area B licence and 400 for Area H, so the most any boat will take is 1500 pinks (DFO observers will be on board to monitor the fishery).

This is a limited opportunity opening to determine if pink abundance is high enough (and sockeye interception is low enough) to allow an ITQ demonstration fishery.  If the two seines encounter too few pinks or too many sockeye, (they must stop fishing if they encounter 60 Area B sockeye or 12 Area H sockeye, based on a 25% release mortality rate and a mortality limit of 15 sockeye per Area B licence or 3 per Area H license), then the ITQ fishery will not proceed.

Remember that we are talking about people's jobs here, their livelihood, not just for the boat captains and crew, but all the spinoffs as well, so they will always try to give them as many opportunities as possible, but try to protect the stocks for the future as well.  It is always a delicate balance.  We are all crying over a loss of a recreational opportunity, but imagine if it was your only chance to make your living? That's why commercial openings take precedence over recreational.  The effect on jobs is more direct (although overall indirect economic impact is arguably less).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:02:22 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »

Remember that we are talking about people's jobs here, their livelihood, not just for the boat captains The effect on jobs is more direct (although overall indirect economic impact is arguably less).

You are telling me that commercial fishing is an all-year 'round and financially sustainable job and the ONLY opportunity that one may have to make a living? I'm not debating the reason for this opening here but trying to use this to justify the commercial salmon opening when all indicators are pointing to a poor run is just a joke...

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »

I'm new to fishing so I'm not sure if I understand what this means. I read the notice several times and get that DFO is allowing commercial fishing of pinks from boats, using nets.

Does this mean that there won't be many pinks that escape the nets and get up the river? Or does it mean that rec fishermen can't fish at the same time as the commercial boats? Or does it mean something else?

I spent a bunch of money at Sea-Run today picking up gear for salmon fishing tomorrow. This notice came out about 4 hours later. Hopefully I can still fish, even if my chances will be worse...  :-\

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »

I'm new to fishing so I'm not sure if I understand what this means. I read the notice several times and get that DFO is allowing commercial fishing of pinks from boats, using nets.

Does this mean that there won't be many pinks that escape the nets and get up the river? Or does it mean that rec fishermen can't fish at the same time as the commercial boats? Or does it mean something else?

I spent a bunch of money at Sea-Run today picking up gear for salmon fishing tomorrow. This notice came out about 4 hours later. Hopefully I can still fish, even if my chances will be worse...  :-\

Yes you can fish during the commercial opening.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:43:50 PM »

Recreational fishing openings do not change when other fishery openings are announced unless DFO says it is closed.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:26 PM »

So why the long faces? Is the worry that the nets will catch them all?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »

In a regular full commercial opening they are pretty efficient at scooping up many of the fish passing by to a point that the sport fishery upstream is noticeably impacted. I wouldnt let that stop you from going out and giving it a try though. It sounds like a limited opening and should be great weather. Have at it and enjoy your day.