Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Oct.27  (Read 2636 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Stave River Oct.27
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »

Fished the east side between the Toilet Bowl and the dam. I was looking for a chum for the smoker.  Not many fishermen around and mostly darker fish. I was floating jigs and had many hookups and no snags. I've been there several times over the last three weeks and really have not seen a nice clean Chum. I have seen a few nice coho taken out of the Bowl. I'd be interested in reading your take on the Stave this year.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:59:59 PM by JBB »
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Re: Stave River Oct.27
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »

I fished the west side this afternoon down by the lowest trailer park. Lots of fairly bright fish showing but the ones I got into were relatively dark. Using jigs and colorado blades with equal success. Haven't fished it a lot this year, but this was by far the best of the days I've been out.

Kever

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »

Fresh ones are in the system, but are definitely not at the toilet bowl. The key is to keep moving until you find them. I've been out 3 times and have hooked into at least one clean fish every time. That being said, a little black on the belly is OK if you are smoking them.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »

I saw a dime silver doe chum on the rocks with her berries stolen, I hate people.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »

>:( grrrrrrr damn it, I hate that.... wasting a bright fish is a crime; any fish.

I wish people were not so negative about chum, which is potentially why so many get discarded on the river. 

I always hear "I would only feed a chum to my dog", "they are only good for smoking".  What a load of bollox.  I took a white bellied chum and bright coho out of the stave a week and a half ago and did a back to back taste test.  Both fish were filleted and eaten a day after being caught.  Each fillet was covered with a mayo, dill and light garlic dressing and cooked for the same time on a BBQ, side by side.  4 of the 5 people who tasted both fish preferred the more delicate flavour and chunkiness of the Chum!  The Coho had a stronger salmon flavour and was delicious, but it was less well suited to the mayo dressing. 

Show the humble Chum more respect people! (I know i am probably preaching to the choir, but......)

Grrrrrrrrr......again.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:03:25 PM »

>:( grrrrrrr damn it, I hate that.... wasting a bright fish is a crime; any fish.

I wish people were not so negative about chum, which is potentially why so many get discarded on the river. 

I always hear "I would only feed a chum to my dog", "they are only good for smoking".  What a load of bollox.  I took a white bellied chum and bright coho out of the stave a week and a half ago and did a back to back taste test.  Both fish were filleted and eaten a day after being caught.  Each fillet was covered with a mayo, dill and light garlic dressing and cooked for the same time on a BBQ, side by side.  4 of the 5 people who tasted both fish preferred the more delicate flavour and chunkiness of the Chum!  The Coho had a stronger salmon flavour and was delicious, but it was less well suited to the mayo dressing. 

Show the humble Chum more respect people! (I know i am probably preaching to the choir, but......)

Grrrrrrrrr......again.

A true taste test would be side by side with no fixings! Let my use those 3 ingredients on horse crap and you would think it was the best shepards pie you have ever had!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »

well this past weekend was awesome for this family on the stave
check out best day ever post
then sunday was even better for fish caught
with higher ratio of hatchery to wild
then it has slowly dide of this week