Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis river  (Read 29812 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis river
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »

That log jam has been there since the river changed course away from the hatchery.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

joshhowat

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »

Plus the Hatchery had to truck a wack of them to the intake because they where plugged up in the Hatchery. Quota achieved.

Are you talking about red springs??

If so they always get enough swim ins.

If your talking about summer runs. Then your info is way off cause they still need a boat load.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »

joshhoawt. I know what goes on in the Hatchery! Yes they get Reds swim ins! I am saying there was more this year than previous. Was there not? Plus the run that swam up the mainstem was stronger as well. Do you know how far they go? I would hope you would know that!

As for the summer-runs all I hear is we need more! This seems to be the norm lately. Never used to be the case. I mention areas where they frequent regularly year after year. It's like clock work! Still see them in these areas to this day. What's the reply I get, you don't know what you are talking about! We have never seen fish there! Answer, you where there at the wrong time!

I just shake my head and let it fall to the way side! At least there still is a couple of guys that are in the know!

This broodstock thing has gotten way out of hand. It's like Royalty is fishing beside you! Not all the gang but defenetly a couple of them!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

joshhowat

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:36 PM »

Your pretty worked up eh?

Relax

I'm not personal attacking you. I'm sure your a great guy.

As for the summers. I was wrong, I made a call and they actually had a bunch of swim ins.

I pretty much don't fish that river anymore because I'm sick off it. People love to take from it but never give back.

As for attacking the broodstock anglers. How dare you. If you ever hiked a fish out of the canyon you would understand.

When I was actively doing broodstock. I was turning in majority of the fish. Not because I'm the bees knees. More like I had the time and the energy left in my tank.

See what happens to a broodstock angler, is they give up so much of there personal time. With no help from the Fraser valley trout hatchery or the chehalius hatchery. It's because the government has cut the funding to pretty much nothing.  So there is no staff available.

So next time you catch a wild steelhead. Just remember if you where doing broodstock two hours of your day just went to dealing with that fish pretty much if your in the canyon. Also packing a fish out of the canyon is a nightmare physically.

10 pound fish 20 pounds of water.
Only fifteen minutes to hike out or the fish dies.

One sore angler.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »

If I was anymore relaxed I would be dead! Trust me on that one!

The good ol back pack! Blah blah blah. It's really not that bad! Defenetly not the toughest thing I have done! Glad you experienced it!

You say you are sick of the river because people love to take from but never give back! News flash there is a hatchery on it. How much more do you want to give back. You must not fish rivers any more!

As for the comment of you turning in the majority of the fish while you where actively collecting broodstock. I guess you didn't receive your medal in the mail! Well I know a few people that might take offence at that statement. I take no offence though. #'s is not my thing!

You should have put the blame on the selection committee "Fraser valley" as to how and who they issued brood licensing too. I now see a group of guys hanging around the lower river with their tubes acting like they are something special! They might as well be carrying little saplings in the tubes so they can be useful and plant trees along the river bank!

Anyways it's time to move on from this discussion that I am sure has raised a few eyebrows. My tube is ready to go. Just waiting for the call if needed and that call doesn't come from Fraser Valley, nor does my brood license! Some things have not changed and that's for the better!

joshhowat

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »

By metal in the mail you mean tims card or dart and tackle gift card.

And offend who?

I'm sure you know who I am, feel free to contact me. I'm willing to do some brood if your willing to pack out the "not so bad back pack"
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

its ol good Josh. Don't loss any sleep over it. To be honest I don't think I know you or did I ask for your autograph at the Volkswagon  aka car body run years ago! I am pretty quiet and go about my business with no drama! Hence my name on the site! Until I get questioned of course! Cheers!

Enjoy your tims card! I'll stick to the T-Bone steak up at Weaver! 8)

joshhowat

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »

Have a good night.

Offer still stands on fishing, even if we don't do some brood.

I love meeting new people who are passionate about fishing.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

fishallday

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »

haha sick getting a lot of mixed reviews here  :o I get what you guys are saying about guys wanting to keep it to them selves... hmmm
so what is it then I really want to hook into a coho this season and I was told the Chehalis was the place to go..
so then would you guys say just the trusty old vedder then ?
life's short stunt it

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »

Well if you don't go and stay home you are definitely not going to catch one! Better to have a chance then no chance at all I would think!

fishallday

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »

haha good point thanks for the motivation ill be out there for sure, most likely the Chehalis up in the canyon area floating roe.
then Ill try the Vedder early morning on the Saturday...    :) thanx guys for the help and clearing up that mess about the log jam
life's short stunt it

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »

Everything is running late this year. The push hasn't happened yet on the the Chilliwack so why race to the next river already? You're going to spend most of your day hiking and exploring on Chehalis versus most of your time fishing on the Chilliwack. Which one will produce more fish for a novice angler? I'd say the one that optomizes the time on the water. Maybe the people telling you to fish Chehalis want the Chilliwack to themselves...

fishallday

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 10:56:58 PM »

haha oh my goodness so many options  ;D every one is so sneaky ahh what ever we will see I guess.
maybe you just want the Chehalis to your self  ;)
life's short stunt it

Drewhill

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »

haha oh my goodness so many options  ;D every one is so sneaky ahh what ever we will see I guess.

Dude, you're "fishing" for spots a bit too hard. This time of year there could be a push of fish in any river you go to. There could be a good number today and none tomorrow. Just get out there and you never know.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »

For a more novice angler the Chilliwack system is a lot more forgiving in regards to finding fish. One inexperienced move on the Chehalis can cost you your life, it isn't a system to mess around on.

greyghost you bad boy lol, you know how much work it takes to hike those spots let alone with a pack on your back with one or more fish in it and more like 30-40 lbs of water in it. On top of that compressing 15-20 minute hikes into 10-15 minutes. The brood anglers take a beating on that system and VERY few anglers know what actually happens to get the brood needed, it is the toughest river in BC to get brood for after all.