Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis river  (Read 29811 times)

Shinny

Re: chehalis river
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »

lol that guys just saying that to discourage people from going to the chehalis. If this log jam is not allowing fish to go up fish below the log jam lol! They should just be stacked in there below it if what he is saying is true. My buddy got 12 wilds and 2 hatches the other day. Don't always believe these guys on the internet lol. They simply want to fish these rivers by themselves which is never going to happen.\

Remember VEDDER OCTOBER CHEHALIS NOVEMBER

Just telling it how it is. I don't care if this guy goes to chehalis or not... I'm working so much now that I don't have time to fish so there isn't anything in it for me to lie, besides I usually fish in the canyon using trails that myself and others maintain so this guy wouldn't be fishing where I am anyways.  I spent two days clearing deadfall on the trails with a chainsaw after that crazy windstorm in August.  friend and I camped 3 nights on the river before the big rain storm around oct 20th and we each got one fish in three days. Over the course of those days I only talked to three guys that had fish.

That log jam has been there since the river changed course away from the hatchery.

The river changed course years ago, this new massive log jam is probably a year old. Last coho season you could walk from Easter seal run to beach run and then the long bar with no issues, this year it's a bush sack from beach run to long bar and more of a bushwhack now that logs are all pushed into the Forrest.

I don't know if your familiar with the Canyon spots or not but there was a huge log across Carters pool for years. There was a huge rainstorm and this log got dislodged and went down river and smashed into a huge rock in the blood rock pool and moved it so much that the pool is almost gone, that log continue downstream with a bunch of others and collected at this big jam half way down the lower.

Are there fish in chehalis...sure...
Is the log jam preventing fish from moving up steam...no
Are there more coho in Chahalis than Vedder...no
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:26:57 PM by Shinny »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »

Two weeks ago I did very well in the lower river and was surprised how many fish were stacking up, expected there to be fish in the canyon too. We decided to hike in to take a look at a few pools and not a single fish was seen and it was crystal clear.

Shinny

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »

Seems hit or miss...such is fishing. Few days after I got skunked a guy I work with limited out in a couple hours... I dunno. Water was so incredibly low when I was fishing and I was just using roe, should have brought out a spinning rod and tried some hardware as I heard guys have been doing well on that. When I was out the water was so clear that I felt there was almost no point fishing mid day but we were camping and had nothing else to do so we tried to keep the dream alive but still caught nothing :(

I also didn't see anything in the canyon though....but still nice to be in it enjoying nature.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »

Yeah all fish were twitching jigs except for one on a spinner. Didn't touch anything on roe.

Shinny

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »

Yeah all fish were twitching jigs except for one on a spinner. Didn't touch anything on roe.

I never tried a jig around first light, I gotta get out the "gotta use roe" mentality out of my head at first light. Come to think of it only one guy had a fish on roe...all the others were jigs n blades/spinners.

Were you using a spinning rod twitching jigs or baitcaster with a float trying to twitch?... Just curious.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »

Just a 8.5 for spinning rod rated 8-12 pound test. 10 pound braid with a 6 foot section of 6 pound maxima down to my jig.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »

I spent two days clearing deadfall on the trails with a chainsaw after that crazy windstorm in August.

Those trees should have been left so that the poachers vehicles who frequent this spot can be easily seen. That spot is actually a no fishing area...

Page 10 of the BC Freshwater synopsis:
NO FISHING AREAS
Most waters in B.C. are open to fishing for some
species 24 hours of the day, every day of the
year.
There are five basic exceptions:
-No fishing areas: See Regional Tables. No
 Fishing in the water specific tables apply to
 all species, are year round and apply to the
 entire water body unless otherwise noted);
-Within Ecological Reserves (this page);
-Within 23 m below the lower entrance to any
 fishway, canal, obstacle or leap;

-Within a 100 m radius of any government
 facility operated for counting, passing or
 rearing fish (e.g., fishway, fish hatchery)
 unless otherwise designated; and
-Within National Parks unless a specific
 location is identified as being open (see
 “National Parks” on this page).
 Not all No Fishing areas are signed in the field.
 Make sure you read the Regional Regulations for
 the area in which you will be fishing. If you have
 any questions, contact the local Fish and Wildlife
 Regional Office.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »

Hi Shinny. I hope you didn't remove any of the old black telephone cable that was placed in strategic places to get around! I know that water hasn't changed in years.

I still like the reaction from guys when they hike down in certain areas and find me there already. No raft and no vehicle in site up top that they have seen. Haha. All that work to hike down only to be corked. Priceless! Some trails just don't need to be maintained. Draws to much attention. Some of us are not afraid to walk a little farther than drive in to the top of the bluff! Many areas to sneak around on both sides of the river off of both logging roads.

As for Blood Rock. Many a tree has been smashed on her! Including the lumber that has come down due to the massive slide at the lake a few years ago causing the birth of the now famous log jam down below. It definitely has been growing due to other lumber in the area. My belief, the shift of Blood Rock is simply caused by the Plunge Pool effect. Not to worry, it will dig it self out again in due time!

Ghost
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Shinny

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »

Those trees should have been left so that the poachers vehicles who frequent this spot can be easily seen. That spot is actually a no fishing area...

Page 10 of the BC Freshwater synopsis:

We are talking about two different areas here. Your allowed to fish the area I am speaking of... I don't know what area your talking about, I only fish in legal areas and don't know much about the areas your not suppose be fishing.

I wasn't talking about clearing deadfall in some area you can drive or park at. I cleared some about 3/4 of the way into a walking trail.

Hi Shinny. I hope you didn't remove any of the old black telephone cable that was placed in strategic places to get around! I know that water hasn't changed in years.

I still like the reaction from guys when they hike down in certain areas and find me there already. No raft and no vehicle in site up top that they have seen. Haha. All that work to hike down only to be corked. Priceless! Some trails just don't need to be maintained. Draws to much attention. Some of us are not afraid to walk a little farther than drive in to the top of the bluff! Many areas to sneak around on both sides of the river off of both logging roads.

As for Blood Rock. Many a tree has been smashed on her! Including the lumber that has come down due to the massive slide at the lake a few years ago causing the birth of the now famous log jam down below. It definitely has been growing due to other lumber in the area. My belief, the shift of Blood Rock is simply caused by the Plunge Pool effect. Not to worry, it will dig it self out again in due time!

Ghost

No black cables removed. No ropes removed. It should be noted that all entrances and the first 1/3 of the trails have been left untouched and left to mother natures doing as to remain hidden and anonymous.

What's with someone going in and leaving flagging tape everywhere trying to mark the trails...it's not a tourist attraction.

Edit: Johnny Canuck: It came to me now what spot your talking about....i was shown that spot a few years back before i even fished. I haven't been back since, it's quite the drive up and just haven't been into doing it. I didn't know about that rule you highlighted in the regs though, that's good to know. I will definitely  have to pass that along to the person who originally showed me that spot.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:44:16 PM by Shinny »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:51 PM »

Flagging tape is being used to mark the old skidder trails for logging this winter or next spring!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Shinny

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »

Flagging tape is being used to mark the old skidder trails for logging this winter or next spring!c

No. Someone is marking trails... Yes there is flagging on the skidded trails but there is also flagging right at a couple of the trailheads and also the trail itself is flagged. This is not logging flagging.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »

No. Someone is marking trails... Yes there is flagging on the skidded trails but there is also flagging right at a couple of the trailheads and also the trail itself is flagged. This is not logging flagging.

Rip that crap down, terrible that people litter in the forests like that...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Shinny

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 07:40:25 AM »

Rip that crap down, terrible that people litter in the forests like that...

Totally agree. I came out with a backpack full of flagging tape that was marking trails and a bunch of beer cans and garbage. No fish to take up room in the backpack so picked some chanterelle mushrooms and some turkey tails mushrooms ( if you know anyone that has cancer, who doesn't...turkey tails can be made into a tea for treatment )

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:52:03 AM by Shinny »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »

LOL you mean Turkey Tail mushrooms? I know those grow in the canyon. Never heard of a tiger tail mushroom before and that picture is a Turkey Tail.

Shinny

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »

LOL you mean Turkey Tail mushrooms? I know those grow in the canyon. Never heard of a tiger tail mushroom before and that picture is a Turkey Tail.

Lol... Ya your right, must have been thinking about ice cream and not mushrooms...haha... Yes.. Turkey tails.