Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis river  (Read 29842 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis river
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 09:11:26 PM »

Ya everthink people are flagging trails so they dont get lost! Last year i went fishing in a heavily wooded area with my son and a buddy and his son to do some fishing and we new we would be coming out in the dark so on the way in we flagged our trail,even though i had been down this trail several times i didnt want any problems coming out in the dark especially due to the fact my buddy has a screwed up back,well low and behold when it was time to come out some asshat had removed all the flagging tape and we got twisted around taking allot longer and my buddies back went into full spasm and he couldnt walk anymore,i had to call search and rescue to pull him out on a stretcher in severe pain,we got back to our camp @  1 am, all because some asshat wanted the fishing spot to himself,these trails arent secret and most people wont even bother .
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »

What a disgusting thing to do!!!! Someone could be killed because of their selfish move.

Karma is a bitch!!!!!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »

Ya everthink people are flagging trails so they dont get lost! Last year i went fishing in a heavily wooded area with my son and a buddy and his son to do some fishing and we new we would be coming out in the dark so on the way in we flagged our trail,even though i had been down this trail several times i didnt want any problems coming out in the dark especially due to the fact my buddy has a screwed up back,well low and behold when it was time to come out some asshat had removed all the flagging tape and we got twisted around taking allot longer and my buddies back went into full spasm and he couldnt walk anymore,i had to call search and rescue to pull him out on a stretcher in severe pain,we got back to our camp @  1 am, all because some asshat wanted the fishing spot to himself,these trails arent secret and most people wont even bother .

Why would you even hike out in the dark and put yourself into that situation or have a guy who is not physically able to do the hike try and do it? It's like all the people who do the grouse grind totally unprepared for any sort of issue. Flagging tape is not needed on any trails, it's gross having to see it left behind. It's like people who smoke and toss their butts on the ground, it's littering. I doubt the guy "wants the spot to himself", he probably doesn't want the trail advertised to everyone or knows that marking tape isn't needed.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

sbc hris

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »

My favorite thing about this river, is how so many of the people who fish it think they own it  :o ???

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »

Listen we hiked back in the dark and we were prepared,my buddy has a back issue that can flare up he is not dead,should he stay home and rot,you dont know what you are talking about,many trails in thick bush can be tough and even tougher in the dark,im a very experienced bushman and trail marking is older than both of us,sounds to me you are just trying to justify this kind of stupidity,my buddy was well within his limits if we wouldnt have gotten twisted around.obviously if someone put up the marking tape they musta thought they needed it or why bother
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »

Listen we hiked back in the dark and we were prepared,my buddy has a back issue that can flare up he is not dead,should he stay home and rot,you dont know what you are talking about,many trails in thick bush can be tough and even tougher in the dark,im a very experienced bushman and trail marking is older than both of us,sounds to me you are just trying to justify this kind of stupidity,my buddy was well within his limits if we wouldnt have gotten twisted around.obviously if someone put up the marking tape they musta thought they needed it or why bother

Why take him to such a difficult spot to access? There's many easier spots that would be more appropriate. If you were so prepared why didn't you use your compass or GPS? Do you leave the tape after you hike out or do you take it out with you? Maybe the guy who removed it has seen tape left all over the place and has gotten sick of it. If you're such and experienced bushman you know there are many ways to mark a trail such as breaking branches as u hike, making marks on the ground with your feet, using sticks as way points and so on which are less intrusive. Heck I have used pine cones and little pieces of branches placed with the cone so I know I placeD it and it's not one that fell off a tree. I have seen some people who actually make HUGE arrows out of branches to make trail heads..... If you can't find the trail heads without a massive billboard sign you may as well stick to the C-V system. The chehalis is unique in the fact that it's more prestine and natural, it's not a meat market like the C-V system. The regulars like it that way and want to keep it that way.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »

Well after reading this new story! The 2 boys learnt a valuable lesson! Do not hike out in the dark if you are not 100% confident on getting out in the dark! Leave while you still have light as the light is your friend in the Rain forest! Once one thing goes wrong the trend is that it usually compounds into more problems!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Tylsie

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »

Why take him to such a difficult spot to access? There's many easier spots that would be more appropriate. If you were so prepared why didn't you use your compass or GPS? Do you leave the tape after you hike out or do you take it out with you? Maybe the guy who removed it has seen tape left all over the place and has gotten sick of it. If you're such and experienced bushman you know there are many ways to mark a trail such as breaking branches as u hike, making marks on the ground with your feet, using sticks as way points and so on which are less intrusive. Heck I have used pine cones and little pieces of branches placed with the cone so I know I placeD it and it's not one that fell off a tree. I have seen some people who actually make HUGE arrows out of branches to make trail heads..... If you can't find the trail heads without a massive billboard sign you may as well stick to the C-V system. The chehalis is unique in the fact that it's more prestine and natural, it's not a meat market like the C-V system. The regulars like it that way and want to keep it that way.

I hunt extensively as well as fish. As a result I have probably had to mark several trails, most to be hiked out in the dark because I hunt til last light. All of the examples you listed (breaking branches, marking the ground, using pine cones, and huge arrows) are either of very little help, or dangerous. Breaking branches can be dangerous depending on height, ground marks are easily destroyed or covered by leaf litter or rain, trying to find something the size of a pine cone is in the dark is very difficult and time is often wasted looking for the next one unless it is close to the previous. As for the large branches to mark trail heads, what happens when you are 1/3 yards up the trail and not sure where to go? A trail only has 2 heads, very very few get injured there. Accidents happen along the body, the where the trail markers are placed.

Should the poster have taken his friend down that trail? I have no idea, too many unanswered questions. Is his back always going out, or it an known risk that only happens occasionally. Is he able to hike for say 30 minutes, but it took significantly longer than that because someone removed the tape. Did stress play a role. Did he slip because he went off the trail because someone removed the trail markers.  Glad people like you are able know the answer to all of these questions with the information provided.

I agree that the reason the Chehalis is so nice is that it isn't the C/V. If you want to fish it you have to work for it. But do not tell me it is pristine. There are generations of people who have been fishing that river; every trail you walk, every hole you fish has been fished by someone before you. And it will be fished be someone long after you or I am gone. Let them enjoy it and be safe.

P.S.: For those that care, they do make biodegradable trail marker tape. But in all honesty T.P. designed for use in a trailer is much more effective. It stands out, breaks down rapidly in a few rains, and you should carry it with you anyway.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »

Pristine as in fresh and clean. No real markers are needed on the chehalis it's not like the trails are multiple kms long like being out in a jungle or middle of no where. I have more trouble finding my vehicle at the mall after shopping than I do in the woods. Although I probably spend a lot more time in the woods than at the mall.

islanddude

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »

I don't like tape in the forest for trails. I see enough of it when I pick mushrooms. I remove it. Get a compass or gps. Go in when it is light and come out when it is light if you don't know the area like the back of your hand. You had to get the search and rescue to get your friend out. You put those people at risk not alone counting the cost of the rescue operation. You should make a donation.

LP89CG

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »

I don't like tape in the forest for trails. I see enough of it when I pick mushrooms. I remove it. Get a compass or gps. Go in when it is light and come out when it is light if you don't know the area like the back of your hand. You had to get the search and rescue to get your friend out. You put those people at risk not alone counting the cost of the rescue operation. You should make a donation.

Your fishing license includes a SAR fee or something if im not mistaken. Also, I think marking a trail is perfectly fine. Why not? clean up the tape as you come out and it was like it's never there. I think diligence and reasonable effort was made not to get lost so reserve judgement on fishing till dark. Not everyone can afford a GPS or knows how to use a compass. Some of us have been taught and use the method of marking a trail.

If marking tape looks relatively new I'd leave it; after all it's there to MARK a path.

Shinny

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »

Pristine as in fresh and clean. No real markers are needed on the chehalis it's not like the trails are multiple kms long like being out in a jungle or middle of no where. I have more trouble finding my vehicle at the mall after shopping than I do in the woods. Although I probably spend a lot more time in the woods than at the mall.

^ This.

Tylsie I don't really know what your definition of Pristine is. It has nothing to do with being the first person to fish a hole or anything you mentioned. Pristine: immaculate, perfect, in mint condition, unspoiled, spotless, impeccable, clean, fresh...etc...has nothing to do with what you mentioned. Canyon is pristine because it takes effort to get in. Not every slob can pull his truck up and walk in with a box of Tim bits and a double double that they just throw on the ground when they leave like the C/V system.

Searun17... You cooked yourself a recipe for disaster. If you were using flagging tape then you weren't familiar with the trail and possible the first time venturing in. You take in a guy that has a known back condition ( this could have flared up at anytime during your hike, regardless of being lost) and then you fish until dark and get lots on the way out. Is it possible that your flagging was never removed but since it got dark you just could'nt see it? Then you get the S&R team involved due to your lack of foresighted to get the fak out of the canyon before dark....

How much bushwaking were you doing...most of the canyon trails are pretty well used once your on them, finding the entrance is usually the only difficulty part, after that it's just a walk In the bush and they aren't that long either...like a 15-25 min walk tops...

First comes the marking tape...then comes a worn trail, then a parking lot, then internet talk, more people, then garbage and disrespectful people... And you wonder why people remove the flagging tape.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 10:52:25 AM »

First comes the marking tape...then comes a worn trail, then a parking lot, then internet talk, more people, then garbage and disrespectful people... And you wonder why people remove the flagging tape.

And then good by pristine! In the the last 5 or so years there has been a substantial growth in angling pressure on this system. Like I've mentioned this system isn't a meat market like the C-V system. It's not a numbers flow, it's an enjoy your day type of flow.

Shinny I tried emailing you through your profile info on here, not sure if it worked.

Animal Chin

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

And then good by pristine! In the the last 5 or so years there has been a substantial growth in angling pressure on this system. Like I've mentioned this system isn't a meat market like the C-V system. It's not a numbers flow, it's an enjoy your day type of flow.

I've never been there. But all this talk has piqued my interest. Thanks.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »

I've never been there. But all this talk has piqued my interest. Thanks.

Have fun lol